New Gold Sovereign book (Marsh/Hill)

Discussion in 'Sovereigns' started by jultorsk, Apr 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. DavidW

DavidW Member

Ordered mine yesterday

3. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Sorry, perhaps a dumb Q..... aren’t these almost the same every year, except new releases? If you’re collecting old series, would this book worth its $$$?

4. jultorsk

I think it's a good book - it's based on Michael Marsh's original work... The Marsh book was first published in 1980 and it was originally split in two volumes (sovs and halfs). The book has mintage figures, variations and a "rarity/scarcity index" for each coin - and some anecdotal stories on Aussie mints etc. I suppose some of the info could be deduced from the web, but I just like to have the book to leaf over for an occasional quick reference.

Sadly Marsh passed on already years ago, so Token purchased the rights to his work and harnessed Mr Hill to revise and add on his work. The previous edition (2017) is out of print. This new one will have also all double/quintuples not included in the 2017 edition which is definitely a welcome addition, too :cool:

On the 2017 edition:
    https://www.numismaticnews.net/archive/new-gold-sovereign-edition-must

bubblebobble2 likes this.
  5. neonuke

neonuke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

thanks for the heads up, just placed the order.

i had no idea these books were released with revised revisions after Marsh's passing.

always loved having my full Sov Jubilee edition and half Sov Second edition on the shelf for quick reference any time I come across a sovereign.

i must admit though I much prefer the older style book's covers, has more of a "Reference Section" feel to the books.

Also nice to see they're paying homage to Marsh by listing him on the cover as the main author, his life's work was on investigating, documenting and researching all things to do with sovereigns.

638F8AED-9087-4C63-98C1-639B5A12702B.jpeg

bubblebobble2 and jultorsk like this.
  6. neonuke

neonuke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Received my order yesterday, nice book with lots of info. Mostly the same content as the old ones, with some extra photos and new layouts and info etc.

Didn't realise they would have pages and pages of ads in there too though! Ads from UK and South African coin dealers at the very start and very end of the book.

Also has info on the quarter sovs, plus a little price guide booklet (which no-one actually follows right?)

jultorsk likes this.
  7. jultorsk

Got mine just this week, too. I thought the most useful bits were the 5 & 2 pounds addition, some interesting nuggets of information.
    This edition has been receiving some critique on other forums as the rarity indexation has changed so much. So far I'm yet to find a good explanation to this, but hopefully some information arises soon.
    For example, the 1913-C sov was rated R4 (extremely rare, only 11-20 coins surviving) in 2017 book, and in this 2021 edition it's rated C (common). It's hard to understand this, and it's unlikely a typo either as all the Ottawa coins were downgraded in rarity.

Anyway, yes I agree the price guide is indicative only and somewhat ambitious... it's all about condition and not all coins would fetch anywhere near of those prices.

8. DavidW

DavidW Member

Totally agree with Jultorsk in relation to the price guide.
    The quoted prices must surely relate to pristine graded coins only.
    Aside from this, the book is a wealth of information and deserves to be in every Sovereign collectors bookcase.

jultorsk likes this.
  9. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The prices/values of sovereigns ( or any other coins ) in books or catalogue are to be taken with a few large grains of salt by the newbies.

I have catalogues from back when gold was half the price it is today and some of the high-grade sovereign prices are still double or triple of what
    you could realistically achieve for them today.

When it comes to sovereigns stick with the ones you can buy for the closest prices to spot prices, and leave the other ones for those that have more money
    then they know what to do with.

ppier, DavidW and AussieHODLer like this.
  10. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not sure if the downgrading of the rarity of Ottawa sovereigns had anything to do with the sale of the Canadian gold reserves some years ago @jultorsk

I used to collect the Canadian gold $5 and $10 coins in MS state and these took a big hit as a result of that, from being worth near double gold value to now bringing
    about $20% over spot even for choice MS63/4 slabbed coins.

jultorsk likes this.
  11. jultorsk

You know, I've been wondering about the same $5 and $10 coins, I see them all the time in auctions here and as you correctly note with muted interest from buyers. :oops:

My lord I wish I had heeded that advice mate... identifying true high grade coins is seriously difficult.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    hardyakkagold likes this.
  12. jultorsk

If anyone is still looking to buy the new Marsh book, try contacting TopEndCoins. :cool:
    (not affiliated in any way)

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 9.56.53 am.png

Nugget likes this.