2021 Tokelau The Great Old One: Cthulhu Coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Trinkets, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

Produced by 9Fine Mint, it looks interesting and shouldn't be too expensive. There's a gold version as well.

Blurb: The Mandalorian Mythosaur coin is brought to life as a genuine 1 oz Silver bullion coin of .999 fine purity! Its official currency face value is backed by the sovereign government of Niue. The Mythosaur was a large and powerful dragon-like creature native to the Mandalorian homeworld of Mandalore in the Outer Rim. Upon the arrival of Mandalore the First, the Mythosaurs became a challenging target for early Mandalorians to test their battle skills. Eventually they were driven to extinction, but their ferocity and size has made them a key part of Mandalorian legends. Today, the symbolic representation of a Mythosaur skull is used as the official Mandalorian sigil.

Specs:
    1 oz .999 silver
    2.98 mm Thick
    39 mm Diameter
    25,000 Mintage

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silverbandit007 likes this.
  2. Wien

Wien New Member

I understand you've copied the coin description from Apmex site, but the text was wrong, as the coin has nothing with Mandalorian saga. In fact, the Apmex has already changed the description.

heartastack likes this.
  3. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

Several sites have the (same) wrong text, which is odd, so guessing it was a common rush for stores to get something up. Looks like the text came from the 2020 Mandalorian Coin.

There is also a variation on mintage across sites: some say 25k, others say 10k. I'm going with 10k mintage (which is better, anyway).

I can't edit the original post. so I'll add new details below (with bold highlights) for those interested.

Updated Specs:
    1 oz .999 silver
    2.98 mm Thick
    39 mm Diameter
    10,000 Mintage

Updated Blurb:
    • Obverse: Depicts a partial map showing a steamship traveling from the issuing country of Tokelau in the Pacific to the sunken city of R'lyeh as indicated by a symbol of Cthulhu and oriented by compass rose. At the center is Queen Elizabeth II, Tokelau, the metal composition, face value and year of issue.
    • Reverse: Features mighty Cthulhu awake from his slumber and attacking the steamship that had been traveling to R'yleh on the Obverse of the coin. Circumscribed around the edge is the English translation of the cult of Cthulhu chant, which can only be revealed through a looking glass.

4. Wien

Wien New Member

Yeah, other sites just copied initial Apmex text :)) btw, I've seen number of times such a mistake of Apmex, when they put the description of another, issued in past, coin. Looks like they make a new selling position by copy-paste. :)))

5. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

lol Yeah, I know. There's always a rush to get "something" up just to advertise as quickly as possible.

Anyway, it's a nice coin, so I'm in for a couple :)

6. SteelHand

SteelHand Well-Known Member Silver Stacker