Is silvergoldbull.ca reputable and safe? (and other questions from a beginner)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by vp-ss, Dec 28, 2020.

Tags:
?

Is silvergoldbull.ca reputable, safe, authentic, legit etc.?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. vp-ss

vp-ss New Member

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered the silver stacking world and it is very exciting!

I would like to know if silvergoldbull.ca is a reputable and safe company and website?

It looks like they get their coins directly from Mints, but is it also safe to buy random year coins from them? I believe these coins are ones that they purchased from individuals so have a higher chance of being counterfeit.

I could not find many details on how they verify the authenticity of the silver they buy and sell other than a generic statement saying that they have rigorous and extensive process or something to that affect. I also don't see anywhere on the website that they 100% guarantee the authenticity of the silver they sell (unless I missed it), is that something silver companies will agree to typically?

From what I can tell on their website and reviews they seem to be legit, would it also be worth investing in a silver testing machine to verify the silver I buy from them or would that be overkill? I am very interested in this market but it has unique problems that I have not had to deal with before like having to verify that what you are purchasing is real.

Any info or tips for a newcomer would be appreciated, I have already started doing a good amount of research myself. One last questions - a person I have discovered while researching is someone named 'David Morgan', he seems to have good YouTube videos and books about silver. Is he a respected and trusted name to get information from in the space?

Lastly are there any other places where silver enthusiasts gather on different platforms or is this forum one of the main places?

Sorry I know there is a lot of questions packed into this post but I am hoping to have them answered.

Thanks all!!!

2. nicotineandcaffeine

nicotineandcaffeine Active Member

There is a Canadian Youtuber that I recall mentioning Silvergoldbull yesterday.

vp-ss likes this.
  3. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes they are a good company and I've ordered from them before.
    Most bigger dealers also have a one time spot price deal for beginner stackers so take advantage of those deals first.
    It's a great way to start out your first hundred ounces or so for spot and a variety of rounds bars and coins.
    Most of those spot price starter deals are for around 10 ounces that I've seen but go through the various dealers and get them all.
    Silvergoldbull had a 10 oz bar with a bull on it for theirs. They are all different.

Order all the one time spot price starter kits!
    I tell every new stacker about that, it's a great way to get started.

David morgan is a good place to start, there are many good channels but studying the actual HISTORY of money and metals has taught me more than anything else.
    It gives you an entirely new perspective and will clear up and doubts or questions. It did for me at least.

I liked the Mike Maloney Hidden Secrets of Money YouTube series, very good info to start with and a nice series.

vp-ss likes this.
  4. paruwka

paruwka Active Member

If you’re in or near Toronto, CanadianPMX is a reputable dealer. I’ve bought and sold with them numerous times.

vp-ss likes this.
  5. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

Yes, very reputable. Ordered from them before and never a problem. There are other Canadian dealers to choose from as well, depending on what your are looking for. Paruwka already mentioned one.

Some other answers to your questions:
    1. A silver testing machine is a good investment if you need one: i.e. you buy a lot from the secondary market (like eBay or local sellers - not known name dealers) and you think there is a risk. I don't own one, but I buy most of my stuff from dealers I know.

2. You don't always have to verify what you purchase. Again, if you buy from reputable sources and typically buy standard coinage from them (like silver maple leafs, silver eagles, etc.), there isn't an issue. If you buy from unknown individuals without a known rep (like if buying from someone here who doesn't have a verifiable history) then it can be a risk.

3. There's an answer above on David Morgan, but some other sources I'll list below. Also, look at other popular stores

Links:
    1. since you're Canadian checkout these threads on RFD here and here.
    2. there are other forums that are good sources of info such as here
    3. Reddit threads such as here and here and here
    4. if you are getting started and are curious about high end, you can look here if you haven't already.
    5. Look at other popular stores (both Canadian and other); you'll see a number listed on this site and some of the stores actually post on TSF as well. Some Canadian sites you can look at that are safe: Gatewest, Colonial Acres, TorontoGoldNBullion, CCC

Hope that helps.

vp-ss likes this.
  6. vp-ss

vp-ss New Member

Thanks for the info everyone, it sounds like going with a reputable dealer you don't need to do much verification on the coins. I was looking into some other testing methods instead of the more expensive testing machines such as the the 'ping' test (with mobile app), the rare earth magnet slide test and even just weighing and measuring the coins with a caliper. Any additional thoughts on any of these tests? It sounds to me like scammers have gotten fairly good at beating a lot of these methods so going with the expensive machines might be the only fool-proof way to be sure, but I think I will still try some of these cheaper tests myself even on the coins from silvergoldbull just to give myself a bit of piece of mind. Plus...it's kind of fun! I would be interested to know what kind of tests other people on here use if any, I could also make a separate thread to this one asking about people's testing methods.

I will be sure to check out all the links provided here, thanks again!

7. Tokyo

Tokyo Active Member

silvergoldbull is good place to buy, lots of selection. Mainly from kitco and diverseequities for non premium bulk.

Be careful with private sellers, I been hearing more scam for platinum & gold on eBay/Kijiji/buy&sell on Facebook. I think most of big shops test&scan less likely to buy back fake products and sell counterfeit product to consumers.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    vp-ss likes this.
  8. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Got a couple of links to those 'starter' stacks? I wouldn't mind taking advantage of those before I leave the US!

JohnnyBravo300 and vp-ss like this.
  9. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

heartastack likes this.