What do you consider a decent-sized Silver stack?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ronnington, Sep 6, 2020.

?

What do you consider a decent-sized Silver stack?

Poll closed Sep 27, 2020.
  1. 100-200ozs

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. 200-300ozs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 300-500ozs

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. 500-700ozs

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. 700-1,000ozs

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  6. over 1,000ozs+

37 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. Ronnington

Ronnington Member

At what point do you start to feel satisfied with your Silver stack?

Do you have a limit or particular number of ounces in mind with your goal?

Does the physical weight/space of stacking Silver limit your goal to a particular total? ie can you only stack so much with the space you have

What is a 'nice' number for a stack?

Or, like me, do you reach your initial target and then greed/dissatisfaction sets in and you want more... :D

Myself personally, I think 500ozs is a nice number and can one day see that being a 40-50% deposit on a median-priced house in an average city

Investing for kids likes this.
  2. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

I think you'll be disappointed to hear that most stackers feel their body weight in silver is about the perfect stack goal.

And some of them are really fat. :)

3. stackmans

stackmans Active Member

To be considered "decent" in my opinion it would need to be at least 1000 ounces.

Investing for kids likes this.
  4. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10oz of Gold
    1000oz of Silver
    That's your initial target

100oz of Gold
    10000oz of Silver
    That's your about to retire target

Any excess is inheritance for offspring or philanthropy

5. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I actually used to hold more than my body weight in silver - 2750 oz's
    Then I sold down.
    My perfect silver stack is currently around 30oz's of collectible bars and coins.
    Bullion silver is shyte. I switched to gold. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    neonuke, jultorsk, Garnet and 3 others like this.
  6. wrcmad

I like the gold-polymer more than the silver. :p

Investing for kids and 66rounds like this.
  7. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I hear you but had I bought the silver dip I'd have plenty more gold polymer right now. Albeit I would have had to traded non-physical metal derivates.

Balance of both is probably smart but the gold bug doesn't leave me with much left over for silver

Investing for kids and JS1880 like this.
  8. wrcmad

I hear you. ;)
    The gold bug leaves me stripped a lot of the time too, but it has returned in spades.
    However, the gold-polymer has seen my best returns in over 20 years this year on the stock market - this year has reduced my retirement age by about 10 years. :)
    My advice would be - don't be afraid to be open to all asset classes when you see an opportunity - you can switch out of PM's, then come back in later after you have exploited an asset-price run in a totally different class. ;)

9. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why did you hold so much, and when did you sell off? Obviously at some point silver made sense to you.

I may do the same when a good window of opportunity presents itself. I think we are far away from the window at current.

You're evidently sour on silver for unknown reasons to me. Albeit, I understand it has been a poor performer since 2011-2018, Gold hasn't done too well in that time period either.

I put you in the same SS silver bashing category as CJ with your 'Silver is Shyte' rhetoric. You rarely, if ever, present any justification for your position, yet we often hear of your disapproval for holding the very metal this forum centrally promotes.

10. wrcmad

Very fair questions - I'll answer on Wednesday due to work commitments, and tonight's alcohol consumption. :p
    You are the first in around 2 years to actually question the negative sentiments towards silver - rather than deride them without question. Kudos to you. Respect. :)
    Man. You seem to rile me up, then see my point and earn respect!? ;) I have a hard time pegging you! o_O

11. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on your income, But I say to people that they should have at least 10 ounces, that's more than 99 percent of people or whatever the number is.

paruwka and Investing for kids like this.
  12. STKR

I reckon 1000 oz's for your average wage earner is a reasonable safety net (+5 oz's of gold).

I have put aside 1000 Oz's for my son and daughter (500 each) to give to them when they're 25. I feel like that should be a decent Kickstarter in life by the time they reach that age (they're 7 and 8 years old now). I conveniently bought in for them at the 2018 lows, so I think it will be a worthwhile venture by the time 2036-7 comes around. My daughter has collected 18 Oz's of her own with her pocket money and birthday money/gifts over the past 12 months - I'm definitely proud of her :cool:

As for storage, it pays to be paranoid - Plan for the worst and hope for the best. I have distributed my stack over 4 different locations and 3 different states, making it accessible to my family members if they ever needed it. My insurance policy to cover all AR$E$.

Hahaha - this very post just landed me a forum trophy - seems fitting
    Screenshot_2020-09-07-00-05-42-06.png

13. wrcmad

I started on the same track with my kids with around 250oz's each.
    Then I realised the wasted opportunity for their timeframe letting the funds sit in silver.
    I bailed on silver and invested that money in the stock market to grow the funds.
    I now have a house deposit for each of them.

14. STKR

I like Silver and PM's in general for their simplicity.

I'm glad to hear you were able to successfully grow your funds for a house deposit for your kids though.

As far as growth is concerned, PM's have a rather small window of opportunity when treated as an investment. I think silver over a long period will not only maintain its purchasing power, but have the potential to grow exponentially at some point in time. If I feel that silver is grossly overvalued and blown into a massive bubble, I may very well exit the silver space and place the funds elsewhere.

I just see far too many economic headwinds and threats to global currencies that I feel much more comfortable keeping it in silver at this stage. Hindsight will likely reveal to me the loss of potential by doing so, but I'm willing to sacrifice growth potential for the security of holding tangible wealth with minimal to no risk.

My investment vessel has always been my business(es) - It's something I understand extremely well and maintain ultimate control over. I don't dismiss playing the stock market, yet it's not something I choose to partake in, largely because of the nearly unlimited options and my over analytical mind that causes me to make irrational and emotional decisions, which are often detrimental to what I aim to achieve. Silver and Gold help curtail that behaviour whilst giving me a sense of comfort and security (and retail therapy).
    But If you have grown your savings by those means then all the more power too you!

15. Investing for kids

Investing for kids Well-Known Member

I definitely get that, I'm new to the PM world this year, only a kid but have been doing my best in balancing out my investments in all sectors. I've got about 40oz right now, about the best I can do because I don't want to put all/most my money into PM because although it is very safe (and a really awesome investment in my opinion) it isn't always the best for growth. I was educating myself and learning about Silver&Gold during the big stock market crash early 2020, and actually bought my first ounces in the lowest drop of 2020 without knowing it. $30 for a Kook seems like a dream now. I do have some in gold too, 1/10oz but I find silver more 'attractive' so its a bit of a 3:1 ratio in terms of $$$ in Precious Metals.
    In my eyes, 1000+ oz seems MOUTHWATERING because that is definitely a goal in the longer term but sounds awesome! Im aiming for around 75-100oz by 2021 end, but may move a bit into the stock market when things clear up. I can see the S&P500 taking a big dip and predict some good financial opportunity there.
    So far I know I love them, already made a YouTube channel a few months ago to talk/teach about PM and it seems people like it :D Investing For Kids, centred around helping not only adults but kids like myself invest.
    Its a great world out there, and we can look at the past but as they say, "Past events do not guarantee future success," so this is all at the roots, somewhat speculation. That's why I don't put all my eggs in one basket.
    But a tangible investment, well that's appealing to a lot of people in itself, that's without the long term purchasing power. If a culture of investing young develops even stronger, then I can definitely see PM rising, because I can say that firsthand, it is much more appealing than some flashing numbers on a screen.

Pendragon, STKR and SilverSurfer77 like this.
  16. STKR

I'm subscribed to your channel and watch your videos. I find you a fascinating individual with a lot of promise. I applaud your efforts and mindset!

It's all relative. I don't think the ounce count is the crucial point to consider, I believe it's more about your savings/investments relative to your income. I think it's fair to assume you have more productive years ahead of you than everyone else on this forum. You are ahead of the game in that regard. Warren buffet eat your heart out!

Hell, I was focusing my attention on skateboards, motorbikes and an unhealthy dose of truancy when I was your age... And every girl in my year. A lot of FUN, but crappy investments!

17. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

1000 ounces at the very least IMO.

Justin Thompson likes this.
  18. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

In fairness, experiences are also a great investments in life.
    No point dying rich yet never having achieved anything fun in youth.
    once you get past the youth stage, there is plenty of time to worry about finances. your only young once sadly.
    I certainly dont regret a cent of the money I spent on fast cars and girls as a teen or young 20 year old lol. If I could go back in time I would do it all over again 100% lol.

but yes there is a point In peoples lives they need to grow up, just dont grow up too early though ahaha.

you see people die having never done anything really fun in their lives, all they did was focus on having big bank accounts and working.
    And I think to my self, what a waste of enjoyment in life they could have had with that money, So many holidays they could have gone on with the family instead of working right up to the end to continue to bolster that bank account some more.
    A balance needs tobe made

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    STKR and SilverSurfer77 like this.
  19. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

she's a beaut!
    [​IMG]

20. Ronnington

Ronnington Member

great posts and I agree

The stock markets are over-inflated like crazy at the moment, while Silver is one of the most (if not the most) undervalued commodities in the world with huge growth potential.

I've done many calculations between Silver and a number of favourable stocks - even accounting for buying after another stock market crash later this year - and every time the growth potential of Silver knocks them out of the park.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020