Packaging How to by Existing members

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by REDBACK, Aug 11, 2020.

1. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Two more quick points:

1. Never put tape on the actual item. The glue is almost impossible to get off a capsule without damaging the capsule (Holly Grail pointed this one out to me).

2. Before you sign up for Australia Post Insurance make sure you read the fine print. This insurance does not cover most of what we send. One way to cover items is to send a Pay Pal invoice to the buyer and have them pay that. The Pay Pal fee is similar to the Australia Post Insurance premium and unless they have changed the wording again and it does not cover gold and maybe a few other items we send. See post # 25 thanks silverling. PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH ON INSURANCE AS I AM NOT A FINANCIAL ADVISOR OR INSURANCE BROKER AND INSURANCE POLICIES/PAY PAL SERVICE CONDITIONS CHANGE ALL THE TIME.
    https://auspost.com.au/terms-conditions/general-terms-conditions section 8.1.1

Oh and if this is wrong then send me a PM and I will change it :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  2. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

i agree 100%, i use zip lock bags to protect the item before taping it

REDBACK, Revils and Silverling like this.
  3. Boyscout

Boyscout Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is my 2nd biggest pet hate when i get items from stackers, bloody tape on capsules Why god why would you do it?... the main one is broken capsules due to no padding or not having adequate padding. Its not that hard, yes it may take a little bit of extra effort but its a lot better than having a unhappy stacker on the other side of the trade:(

I package items the same way i would expect to receive mine, also all coins i send i first place in zip lock bags, satchel or plastic money bags that you get for free at a bank branch. These are little plastic money satchels that us oldies used to have to use to be able to deposit coins back in the day... Banks still hand them out for free:)

I then use bubble wrap and or other padding as sometimes even wrapping coins in bubble wrap only can leave those ring marks on the capsules. Some of these coins come with decent premiums and the last thing i want is for that premium that i paid to the seller to have gone out the door due to the sellers laziness or worse.

I guess just my 2 cents worth as recently i have been on the receiving end of some bad packing jobs

4. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Dan thanks, yes they did change it for the sellers and only 12 days ago. Gold is no longer covered buy sellers protection. This could be very risky for sellers as any claim of loss or non arrival of your gold coins will be on you. Here is the latest policy update. PayID is an alternative and it is an instant payment into your bank account and it's free.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?locale.x=en_AU

Screen Shot 08-12-20 at 06.21 AM_LI.jpg

danman49 and REDBACK like this.
  5. Silverling

I once received a 1 oz gold coin with paper towel wrapped around it with sticky tape around the outside. Whilst the coin and capsule arrive ok it was just chucked in a small Australia Post satchel and anyone would have known it was a coin of some sort.

So my advice would be to pack it well and into a bubble padded envelope same as usual. Then you can go about hiding the contents even more. Just keep your local newspapers. Place your already well wrapped bubble padded envelope with your gold coin in it into a a local newspaper loosely and wrap it entirely around the contents and slide it into the satchel. What this does is it fills out the satchel and completely hides the contents, no one knows what you are sending and it also adds another layer of protection. If it does get smashed up on the conveyor belt then you still have the item with name and address on it inside and AP can re-package it. Best of all, this extra layer of protection is your free local newspaper.

20200812_072126.jpg
    20200812_072257.jpg

oziwassabi, danman49, REDBACK and 3 others like this.
  6. Investing for kids

Investing for kids Well-Known Member

Anyone got a link for bubble padded enveloped on eBay?
    Also, what do express post parcel stickers do? I'm still getting into all this :D

7. Silverling

Holdfast and REDBACK like this.
  8. Investing for kids

9. Silverbandit007

Silverbandit007 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. Investing for kids

So you can just send the padded envelope by itself?

11. Silverling

Holdfast likes this.
  12. Investing for kids

Thanks for the tips, I will probably start sending like that now!

REDBACK and Silverling like this.
  13. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Another package received.
    These were bars
    The member used foam padding top, bottom & between each bar then tight tapping to stop the bars moving and being damaged.
    You could not feel the shape of the contents inside due to the foam packing.
    This removes Postal worker identification of the product inside & potential theft temptation
    Saying that I believe we have the most honest postal workers in the world.Kudos to all Australia post personal!!

20200812_143709_resized.jpg 20200812_143827_resized.jpg 20200812_143835_resized.jpg

14. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

To stop rattling, a piece of tissue paper inside the capsule works well.

If sending coins, then DVD cases are a good option. Aust Post has packaging designed for DVDs also. Make a sandwich of tissue paper padded coin capsules using aluminium foil to make a DVD case thickness sandwich. Stick your aluminium coins sandwich to the DVD container (sticky tape or even gaffer if needs be). Securely tape the DVD case closed and you're set. Remember to put the target address in the DVD cover as a failsafe on the package going missing.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    danman49, Silverling and REDBACK like this.
  15. Mint Silver Coins

Mint Silver Coins Well-Known Member

LOL ... last year, I had an Express package intended for Sydney, tracked as following this route >>> from Cairns Distribution Centre to Brisbane ... next scanned at the Melbourne DC ... back to Brisbane DC ... then Sydney DC ... it took over 2 weeks and more than 5000 km :confused:

Ag bullet and danman49 like this.
  16. Jayden

Jayden Active Member Silver Stacker

A tip for when posting tubes

Often coins still rattle inside of tubes, even when they are full. Fill the remaining space in the tube with tissues/bubble wrap and then tightly wrap around the outside of the tube in a thick layer of bubble wrap so the lid doesn’t give way.

To test to you’ve done it properly, shake it, throw it in the air and if you can still hear rattling, it’s probably not enough stuffing ;)

17. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I apologise to those who I have done this
    But
    With Gaffa tape, :)

oziwassabi and danman49 like this.
  18. Midastouchofgold

Midastouchofgold Active Member Silver Stacker

Sometimes I wrote the buyers name and address on the outside of the packaging used for the item and then put it in the satchel this way if the satchel broke and the contents came out at least there is still a taped up package with postage details on it and if the finder felt like returning it then they could. Come to think of it I received items this same way a few times from the same seller... I always wondered why he did it... that could of been why. Thanks mate ;)

REDBACK and danman49 like this.
  19. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is a very good thread but I just wanna point out one thing.No one wants to pay for the extra padding/packing material-only postage at cost.Packing material is not free and always forgotten.So when you complain about postage(extra $1 or 2) put this into consideration especially when buying item(s) at spot...

Bullion_ron, adze67, REDBACK and 6 others like this.
  20. Silverling

When you have posted to me it's always been good, thanks. I'm happy to pay the extra $1 or 2..... You are one of the best!