Investing super in PMs - the irony! (Plus follow-up question.)

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Krakked789, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Krakked789

Krakked789 Well-Known Member

This was my post last year, when I was looking for a way to invest my super in PMs:

https://www.silverstackers.com/foru...ustralian-super-investing-in-gold-etfs.92948/

Kindly, the moronic government has provided me with an opportunity to do what I wanted to do back then, without barely lifting a finger. I'm talking about the COVID early super release. I got the 20/21 early release, but unfortunately I missed out on the 19/20 early release...damn!

So, how to deploy these dollars is the question. I'm not asking you what I should do...I'm asking YOU what YOU would do. Please provide reasoning. Cheers.

2. mongrelmaple

mongrelmaple Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is what I did, and my reasoning...

I was eligible to withdraw for the 19/20 financial year, but not 20/21 since I’m now back to full time hours and earnings (I’m in hospitality, so we took a big hit during the lockdown but business is booming again for us to levels not seen pre-Covid)

I took out the full $10k, and put $8k into gold and the rest into silver. I’m a lot more bullish gold than silver in the mid/long term, so I bought 1oz cast bars. I didn’t buy straight away though, I received funds mid April but didn’t pull the trigger until late May. The rest I put into silver, and that was only because I wanted to catch up on some series I’m collecting, so that part of the withdrawal was more to ‘indulge’, while still spending on something that will at least hold its value, rather than waste it on electronics or other crap like so many workmates of mine did.

I should mention, I had moved my super asset allocation into 100% cash option, back in late Jan/early Feb, long before lockdowns were a thing. So I wasn’t terribly concerned about potentially losing compounding growth, since it wasn’t really growing in a cash option. My theory is at least I could take some money from that decent pile of “cash” and invest it in a way that I felt more comfortable with, rather than with most options my super has.

I don’t have any regrets, and while I would’ve loved to have been able to take another $10k to drop on metals would’ve been awesome, I’m just glad I have a secure job in an industry that has been brought to its knees.

jultorsk, Ag bullet and Krakked789 like this.
  3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Still looking at an ETF? GDX is an option. Own mid to large cap global gold mining companies, so I guess you're spreading your exposure across nations, currencies and tiers. Means less volatility, means you don't have to research company reports. Stuff like that. I own a position in GDX.

I then invest directly in smaller companies.

Krakked789 likes this.
  4. Krakked789

Thanks for your comprehensive answer. I'm basically doing what you're doing, but I'll tweak the PM percentages a bit. Maybe 50/50 silver/ gold. I'm more bullish on silver than you, but a case could be made that in the short term gold will explode.

Well timed with going to cash in your super. I did that a few year ago - too early, I know. Also, I almost went back 50% into stocks at the bottom...but blew that. There's so much sh*t going on at the moment, that one can easily miss the pulse!

Your last point about having a secure job is probably the most important here. I'm basically out of work, but at least trying to make myself useful...

5. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

i know there is the argument that money withdrawn from super loses the compounding interest over time. there is also the argument for greater control over your super and whether you will ever see any of it anyway with govt moving the goal posts and changing the rules on a whim.

most here say not to put all your eggs in one basket so i'm not keeping all my super in the one basket. $20k of it will be gold that i have full control of.
    makes sense to me.

my stack has never grown so fast.........;)

kilo, Krakked789, Lucky and 2 others like this.
  6. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Its a shit house time tobe buying physical right now.

sgbuyer likes this.
  7. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Could be, or could be the last buying opportunity for a while. As I like to say, I can double down if we drop, but I can't catch up once the train leaves the station.

STKR, Pendragon, kilo and 2 others like this.
  8. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Aka FOMO

66rounds likes this.
  9. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I echo your thoughts there 66rounds, some people seem to think that these price smack downs will continue until eternity, but one
    of these days they will stop and physical metals will become hard to source for any amount fiat currency.
    Better to be a few years early than a day too late.
    Keep stacking and dont take no notice of the naysayers.

66rounds likes this.
  10. 66rounds

Could call it that or could call it lazy stacking. I am not a sophisticated investor. I buy metals because they help me save my income. Price is irrelevant until I go to sell. If price falls I get more bang for my buck. But if it continues to rise I want to make sure I've locked away as much as possible. So any opportunity to buy is a good opportunity to me.

adze67 likes this.
  11. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean, however this is some ones super we are talking about not spare change.
    For that reason extra precausions should be undertaken with advice.
    This is $10k of some ones future.
    And right now when silver is being sold with $7+ per ounce above spot on premiums for just generic cast bars, thats when its a bad time tobe buying large sums of silver.
    The shortage wont last forever so those premiums will go down.
    The premiums is the problem right now and makes buying now with super a bad idea. Hold off for when premiums subside instead of buying overinflated prices. You almost need 2011 prices before you break even if you buy now at current premiums.
    the Premiums are what is making it a bad buy right now, not spot price.
    Allot of people have got burnt on silver over the last 40 years by just buying willy nilly with no regard for prices or even price history.
    You dont want tobe that person.
    Silver can be a very good investment but can be a very bad one if you play it wrong with no strategy and pin it all on to the moon wishfull style thinking.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Silverling likes this.
  12. 66rounds

Oh I agree re silver, it is a very hard train to jump on. I am the resident goldbug haha.

Ag bullet likes this.
  13. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Yes, its a good train, but you need to know what your doing.
    Cant just buy willy nilly with silver, need tobe more strategic.

14. mongrelmaple

mongrelmaple Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Resident gold bug, but is named 66 rounds :D

I’ll challenge you to a duel on that gold bug title!

kilo and 66rounds like this.
  15. Krakked789

So what would you be doing and why?
    Staying in cash?
    Going to stocks?

You didn't answer the question.

Also, this is NOT advice. It's simply your opinion.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  16. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are you saying that due to the current price of gold or because of the premiums being charged

17. Krakked789

So what would you do in this situation and why?

18. Krakked789

Let me reiterate:

- NOT advice
    - Yes, everything in life is a goddamn personal choice!
    - What would YOU PERSONALLY do? (NOT what I should do. Repeat - this is NOT a request for advice!)
    - Why? Repeat: WHY?

Clear?

19. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Hold unallocated in preference to physical. Much easier to liquidate.

20. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm buying liquid sort gold coins, as close to spot as possible.
    Bought a decent rooster (20 francs) last week for 1.7% over spot and 4 QEII sovereigns for 2.5% over spot; as well as 2 Young Vic shields in VF but I paid 10% over spot for those.
    It's slow going, though.

I think @mongrelmaple has a good strategy with the cast gold blobs. (BTW Just a year or two back PM was selling the 1oz blobs for $20 over spot, now they've upped it a notch to $25 - I suppose it's proportional and fairish due to the hike in gold price.)
    I wish I had bought more of those back in the day for a "foundation" stack - easy to liquidate and no "emotional strings" attached.