2020 Australian Circulating Coins Possible Low Mintages

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Silverdigger85, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Silverdigger85

Silverdigger85 Member

I was thinking that this years circulating coins could all have a low mintage compared to other years. I go through many coins & I'm yet to come across any 2020 coins. Also I am yet to find any 2019 50 cent coins with the new J.C effigy so I'm thinking that this mintage will also be low. The RAM have already said that demand from banks for coins this year has been low due to the covid-19 virus and with more shops out outlets not accepting cash has driven the demand for coins down.

We are already seeing some crazy prices on eBay for the $2 75th anniversary coin as most think that the mintage will be under 1 million or around 1 million minted.

What do you guys think?

Holdfast likes this.
  2. Tin Can

Tin Can Active Member

Yes, the 2020 JC coins are difficult to find, which may be due to the decline in use of cash during COVID-19. But, many people got over excited about the 2010 10 cent coin and paid many dollars for a single coin (2.6 million minted, so not a rare coin).
    I suspect the mintage figures for 2020 coins will be be similar (low but not rare), and certainly not justify the prices some are currently paying (even for the $2 end of WW2 coin).

3. Silverdigger85

Silverdigger85 Member

That is true about the 2018 10 cent coin however this is a lot different with the virus and no demand coming from the banks so the mint I think won't be minting many coins as they normally do. Also we just need to look at some 2019 half yearly mintages which are low for the JC effigy, more so the 50 cent which no one is finding in circulation.