Perth mint coin values.

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Drake181, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Drake181

Drake181 Active Member Silver Stacker

Just wondering if anyone knows of a price guide for Perth mint coins on the Internet?

2. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thats a bit of a general question considering the multiples of coins released each year in bullion and proof, coloured and gemed and so on.

anything more specific you are asking about? Are you buying of selling? Gold, silver platinum etc.

3. Drake181

Good point.
    Let's say silver kookas, is there a year by year price and Mintage guide for them? I'm thinking of something like beckett has for basket ball cards

4. silver kooka

silver kooka Active Member

Just go on eBay and check sold items to gauge current selling prices.

5. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Holdfast likes this.
  6. Rod

Rod Member

With all due respect the price or value of our coins are only worth what anyone will pay for them!
    The one thing I have noticed is the remaining Kookaburra coins I require are either not available or on the other hand so expensive I cannot afford them .

7. Rod

Rod Member

Hey guys have you seen the new 2020 2 oz Kookaburra Guilded silver coin, I think the Perth Mint has produced my perfect coin its a cracker. With only a
    1000 produced its got to be one of the best Kookaburra ever produced .I am sure this one will sell out very quickly .The guilded edge is a master stroke.
    Brilliant Perth Mint can only hope its a series .

jultorsk likes this.
  8. jultorsk

Oh that's something new and rather clever, high relief no less. Hadn't seen that one, thanks! AUD180 is a bit steep for me though. :eek: Beautiful kook!
    http://www.perthmint.com/catalogue/...er-proof-gilded-high-relief-coin-aua-auk.aspx

5159-01-2020-Kookaburra-2oz-Silver-Proof-HR-Gilded-OnEdge-HighRes.jpg 5159-03-2020-Kookaburra-2oz-Silver-Proof-HR-Gilded-Obverse-HighRes.jpg

9. Drake181

$180?????

The bludgers hit me up for $199!!!!

10. jultorsk

No, sorry - you're correct. Because it's not bullion there's the 10% GST that I did not account for. My bad - $199 for Australian customers. :oops:

11. Drake181

Yeah I still ended up paying it lol

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As already posted by jultorsk.
    It's a very complex area because the Kooks have original strikes and re-strikes.
    It's difficult, if not impossible to provide guidance in this area.
    It took quite a bit of effort to get Perth to stop re-striking the older dated coins, I don't think the coin book guys
    who publish have a really good grasp of what occurred with the Kooks so to find a "guide" / pdf document or whatever
    with the complete nomenclature of Kookaburra coins and their prices per grade is near non existent.

Sure, they might list the coins and a few obsolescent prices but that's not very useful.
    Anyway, I digress. :)

I found the best thing to do is to keep your own spread-sheet of prices on ebay to have a ball park idea, that way you can instantly know if
    a price is priced correctly.
    For those folk who are really keen, the leading coin graders have plenty of information and are a handy guide for those that collect graded coins.

To get feel, of what "has" sold well and hasn't done so well, The Perth Mint mintage pdf's are helpful guide.
    Here's a link to the Kook mintage pdf, it should be updated soon as Perth's stocktake has finished.
    https://www.perthmint.com/documents...ra Silver Bullion Coin Series 1990 - 2020.pdf

Another method is to review some of the Youtube channels as some of the comments provide incite as to how collectors and investors feel about previous and current releases.

The Perth Mint also has a Collector blog and a bullion blog which has information that may help; not with prices but what folk think of the coins.
    http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Blog/Blog.aspx

As usual I've gone way off track, but...................................:D

13. lunar

lunar Member

On Youtube the 30th Kook seems popular. I liked both sides but partcularly the use of a small head queen on 10 oz.

14. jultorsk

Yes I agree it seems to be popular. However, surely the small queen portrait is on all sizes of them, not just the 10oz? Am I missing something?

15. lunar

lunar Member

Yes, same obverse on all of them. On the 10 oz however the 1990 kook is shown at about its original size or a little larger.

Oh.... I only noticed it's not the same obverse. 1991 kook (1990 proof kook) instead.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  16. Drake181

Out of curiosity Is there an complete list of all kooks produced from the perth mint, inclusive of privy coins?

17. Drake181

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That wiki link might be helpful to some folk but it's lacking details of re-strikes.
    For example:
    Perth's mintage pdf document dated 19 Nov 2010 showed a mintage figure of "Original" (First-strike) 1991 coins to be 278,136 coins. (These coins were struck in 1990 / 1991.

Perth's mintage pdf document dated 13 April 2012 showed a new mintage figure of 283,766 coins.

Perth's mintage pdf document dated 17 Feb 2014 showed a mintage figure of 300,000.

21,864 re-struck coins. (These coins were re-struck during 2011 and 2012).

To some folk, this means nothing, to others who collect coins each year for investment purposes they are not too happy.

Back then, a kook could fetch 70 - 80 dollars depending on grade, now..........................:(

It seems now, that the past has been forgotten, new collectors are not aware of the re-strikes nor do they probably care, they think they are getting a coin
    minted / struck in the year of issue but that's far from the truth.
    The re-struck coins have not gone through the same manufacturing process as the older coins, the original first strikes (The dies are the same), some have beautiful patina and they are void of milk spots.

Not all Kooks are as they seem and accordingly prices should be adjusted; but will they, no, can the re-strikes be detected, perhaps, does it matter? Probably not
    as it's water under the bridge.

The above is just for interest sake. ;)

19. lunar

lunar Member

I like Kooks but if I buy something it has to at least hold its value. Its proofs with lower mintage are heading toward bullion value and I think the Kook market has moved to Swans.

20. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Between kook restrikes, increased mintages, lunar privies and milk spots there was some EPIC drama that couple of years when all fresh stackers like myself started getting into the scene.

it was really a good way to learn about the benefits of a boring old kilo bar.
    But those lunar tigers.. glad I stacked a good hoard of those. Sometimes you get lucky

Holdfast likes this.