Methods to store your precious metals

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Gold Digger, May 11, 2020.

1. Gold Digger

Gold Digger New Member

Hi SilverStackers,

I am a newbie and just started stacking some gold and silver coins. I am considering buying a safe and have it installed in my place. but perhaps there are better methods. I would like to ask you experienced stackers on how to store precious metals as they accumulate through out the years.

I appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

2. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Rule 1. Do not put a safe in your house.
    If you do a search on this subject there is alot of banter and threads about it. And welcome

Skyrocket and madaw1 like this.
  3. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

GF and 66rounds like this.
  4. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Rule 2: Do not tell anyone you are stacking.

Shlomo Goldberg, GF and Ag bullet like this.
  5. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a safe but I bury most of it under my house in ammo cans for ultimate safety. Our wolf dog sleeps under there like it's a cave.

6. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

about ten years ago Some guy on ebay sold me some hand pours, they turned up and Clearly werent silver.
    they were cast from tin but they did look good. Sadly good enough to fool like 400 people that gave positive feedback lol.
    Any way I got my money back through Paypal, and was left with these tin bars, So while they look good and so not to waste the bars I stamped 999 on them with some extra markings to make them more convincing.
    As I have a fair few of them, they sit in my safe along with a few small 1ounce silver bars I dont care much about.

I keep my real stack in a SDB and not at home, But I use these fake bars are decoys, I figure if some one was to come into my house to rob me and knew I had silver and thought I had it at home they likely wouldn't leave until they got what they came for, So these bars are good enough to convince some one they made a big score, and hopefully leave quicker after finding them.
    also if they ended up at a dealer in an attempt to sell them, they would clearly show up as fake but also be easily identified by the markings, If they went for sale online same thing they would be easy to identify. Tin bullion bars surprisingly make great decoys,

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  7. silverhair

silverhair Well-Known Member

I prefer a safety deposit box for the reasons above, its much safer and pretty cheap considering.

Its a bit of a pain some days to go in to drop off or pickup items from it but I sleep much better at night knowing there is limited items of value at home

8. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Safety deposit box off site is best, however I have seen a method for home storage which I thought rather good.

It was using a chain inside a wall cavity, hidden inside the wall, just below an air vent near the ceiling, which suspends a fireproof container about 40cm down. The chain is secured to a stud below eyesight so looking at the ventilator opening there is no chain visible.

To retrieve, you unclip ventilator cover, reach down the hole, find the chain and haul your container up and out.

You use chain as it isn't rodent food and is strong and light. The container was a stainless steel food thermos with the wide neck and the chain is attached to the screw lid. When you haul the container up, you unscrew the lid and you can easily access the goodies.

Very well hidden from searches and in the sad event of a house fire you are still left with a spot value melt among the ashes.

P.S. Yes this was also a method for a cannabis stash so I was told.

Silver260 likes this.
  9. Chris_

Chris_ Member

If you take this approach you better let someone know about it unless you're okay with making a renovator very happy in the distant future.

10. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A private SDB is best way to go imo. I use Guardin Vaults. Maybe you should too if one is in your vicinity.

Holdfast likes this.
  11. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

P.S. Yes this was also a method for a cannabis stash so I was told.

You were lucky to have a stash. If ours went into the next day, we weren't doing it right!

12. Stackm high

Stackm high New Member

13. LiverBird

LiverBird Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

14. Chris_

Chris_ Member

If you do decide on a safe, my opinion would be to treat it as just a time delay.

You could use remote access security cameras along with an alarm system to be a deterrent and also alert you. So if you think it will take the cops 10mins to respond make it so to find the safe and steal it it takes 11mins.(Maybe say you think they're armed to get em to hurry up)

15. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is rule #1:
    Jason1-Im sorry but to make a decoy safe is a very dumb idea.If you get robbed and they will take the fake goodies and later found out they are fake what are the chances the robber(s) will come back for revenge?Dont do decoy safe.

Also there was another member here who was robbed.He was on vacation and some broke into his house.Found the safe but could not open it as it was one of those 500kg bolted ones to the ground. Robber came back with flame torch and cut a hole and took the goodies. So basically nothing is safe but I like JulieW's idea.

16. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

what would they gain coming back when My shit is in a SDB off site? If i robbed some guy and found the shit tobe fake, I doubt Id go back lol. all that risk for no reward lol.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    slavaja likes this.
  17. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

if your shit is off site in a SDB why have any decoy at home at all?

18. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

If you read the post you would find out the answer.
    I dont need to repeat that again

19. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Given some safes have an electronic keypad lock, someone who knows a bit about electronics and is hardy with the tools, could rig up a dye spray that goes off and covers the robber when a safe is not opened using the correct code etc. Old mate just might get enough of a shock being covered in purple permanent dye to run without the goods from your safe. Just a thought.

20. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You only have to worry about thieves who know what they're looking for, so keep quiet about what you have at home and so hiding in plain sight should suffice - just don't hide things in the sort of places junkies would hide their stash.