NZ Mint Silver Fern .999 1 oz coins & ABC bars?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Ronnington, May 7, 2020.

1. Ronnington

Ronnington Member

Hi all,

I'm a newbie Silver stacker having only just started buying Silver bullion from January this year :) I'm looking forward to reading, learning and contributing where I can on this forum going forwards :)

So far I've bought American Silver Eagles, Perth Mint coins & bars, and ABC 1kg bars.

What are your thoughts on the New Zealand Mint Silver Fern .999 1oz Silver coins - worth buying? Are they a quality product that will be easy enough to sell if/when that time comes and what sort of % below spot price can I expect for them?

and ABC bars?

Best regards

2. Drake181

Drake181 Active Member Silver Stacker

SilvaMozzie likes this.
  3. Ronnington

Ronnington Member

4. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think NZ Mint stuff is great. In my experience I bought at spot and traded at spot plus 5% so not a big margin but the increase in spot gave me a profit.

It is my belief that if you are a "stacker" you wont be bothered by what mint from where. Instead accumulate as much as possible for the lowest possible price. Difficult, I know as most of us are collectors as well.

5. Ronnington

Ronnington Member

Thanks, that's great

I might add some to my stack then

During these tough/interesting economic times, how many Ozs/Kgs do you recommend to stack? As much as you can get/store?

6. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I recommend whatever you want. Ask yourself why you are stacking, set some goals and budgets and get to it. Set some "rules" as well...like % over spot your are prepared to go etc.

PS. Work out where you are going to store your metal. Dont tell anyone you are stacking. Get a PO Box or send metals to your work, never to your home.

7. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Ronnington and welcome to the forum from a fellow kiwi stacker

The NZ mint silver fern is in my opinion a OK coin which I refer to as a bullion round and not something I would have in my stack but in saying that during recent times these have been selling well above spot price on Trademe recently
    Not a bad purcahse as the mint usually sells for a couple of $ above spot and you would really be waiting for a substantial increase in spot price to get a good return on your investment if thats the stratergy

My preference for stacking are the Perth Mint silver coins in particular the kookaburras and lunars but thats totally subjective

8. Ronnington

Ronnington Member

Thanks :) I kinda foolishly started stacking American Silver Eagle 1oz coins back in January before I realised the high premiums(!). Now I favour the more local Australian and NZ bars & coins

9. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No purchase of silver is foolish and the ASE's are a very popular choice for stackers

You will generally be paying a little more that spot for Kooks and other Perth Mint products - I think from time to time NZ Mint may have the Kangaroos in stock and if not pick up some Taku's perhaps as close to spot price

Also check out MyGold or drop me a PM if you may wish to

10. Ronnington

Ronnington Member

Thanks Silverman :) very kind

PM'd you