Better to buy bars or coins ?.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by mel1092, Apr 21, 2020.

1. mel1092

mel1092 Member

Hi everyone lately I have noticed it’s becoming increasingly difficult to sell Perth mint coins for the prices you paid for them or for a profit .but I do see people on here able to flip bars really fast. Are Perth mint bullion coins becoming a dying game ?.should I start to invest in bars and is it a good idea to buy 1oz bars.

2. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Between Perth Mint bullion coins and 1 Oz bars, i would rather choose pristine coins with an acceptable premium.
    10oz to kg bars are much lower in premium rather than 1oz sizes.
    If you can buy 1ozer bars in lowest premium cost, this is a good choice of course.

3. mel1092

mel1092 Member

Yeh I have noticed the bar premium for one ounce aren’t that much difference to coins .

4. JNS

Whenever i buy coins, i make sure that they are in pristine condition.
    I lost a lot of beautiful coins because of wrong storage.
    Now, I keep them vacuum sealed immediately.

With silver bullion coins/bars there is a little profit even flipping with monster boxes.

5. mel1092

mel1092 Member

Oh really so even in capsules they can go bad ?.

6. JNS

Yup, some of PM silver coins issue are more resilient compare to world bullion but eventually slight toning of them will occur.

7. mel1092

mel1092 Member

So how you vacuum seal them .Just with one of these food vacuum things or ?.

8. JNS

yes, then throw small silica gel inside.

9. mel1092

mel1092 Member

Oh you mean just the little silica gel packs you can get off ebay .Thanks for the advice really appreciate it .I have a few 5oz coins that i will do that to hey just to make sure they safe .

JNS likes this.
  10. JNS

Hi, @mel1092 just some picts, no silica there but silica from vitamins, shoes and electronics can do.

https://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?media/img_20200421_220741-copy.5267/full
    https://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?media/img_20200421_220717-copy.5266/full

11. mel1092

mel1092 Member

12. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

bars, typically cheaper to buy, So you get more silver for your money, and you can sell them quicker as your less worried about reclaiming premiums.
    One milk spot on a coin and you have lost money and milk spots are common, plus there is a number of other factors that will kill premiums.
    they are a waste of time and money in many cases, more silver for less money is better so dirty old bars for the win.
    One ounce bars are also a waste if your talking silver far to expensive. Go at least ten ounce if not 1kg

Gold is a different story, 1 ounce is fine just dont be buying those PM certicards, they are shit and no one likes buying them due to fakes

slavaja likes this.
  13. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

I would not buy anything PM at all right now. Gold is going up, silver is going up (a bit), and premiums are way too high on silver. Other than that, decent advice on buying whatever you want and can get for near spot value... usually gold coins and silver bars.

In general, crisis is the time to sell PM and buy stocks. Good times are the times to hold/sell stocks and stack PM. Best of luck.

Alloy and ShadowPeo like this.
  14. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

I agree with SlyGuy, I have finished paying back one debt and getting my reserve cash back to where I wanted it, so I was going to funnel that cash into upping my PM stores, but the value for me is not there at this point, that and I am not going to pay a company in this climate on a promise to send me something at a later date. I will sit it out till it comes back a bit on the premiums. Whilst I agree in essence with Jason, personally I split mine into an desired number of a metal and an oz level I want to have on hand, in the case of those of anything that is fractional or a single oz I go coins, anything above that I go bars.

15. mel1092

mel1092 Member

Yeh I have noticed the premiums are very high atm .almost too high to be honest .

16. Panzershrekt

Panzershrekt New Member

@mel1092, @ShadowPeo @SlyGuy

Hey guys thank you for your comments, I'm just curious what do you guys think is a normal premium price for silver?
    I understand there's currently a shortage for physicals so some dealers are jacking up the premiums.

Is 8% premium over spot an acceptable price for kilo bars? Or is that price still too high and it's better to wait a couple weeks and hopefully the premium will go down. Many thanks for your help!

17. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

Honestly, I have not tracked but premium percentage so I cannot tell you want I am averaging. I look at the spot and then look at what people are asking and go from there. In the past I have paid a little more on the premium side as I have gone with the stacker bars, these days I am not so fussed. Coins will always have a higher premium than bars though in my experience

18. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

supply and demand... if you're talking about metals in general atm, you can't buy anything with 8-10% premium due to pandamic/recession period that we're on...

19. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buy the cheapest piece of metal you can get at the time, be it bar or coin. Buffalo coins v Morgan bars are much of a muchness. Premium coins are for flippers. If you are happy buying and selling in onesies then go for it. It is easier to buy 100 generic rounds, or 10 x 10oz bars, or 3 x 1kg bars and then sell them without worrying about premiums, also makes GSR swaps easier.

Jason1 likes this.
  20. SliderC

SliderC Active Member

Perth Mint is the premium and most recognisable brand in Australia and globally Australias most renowned brand.

If I can get perth mint silver vs other brand silver at a similar price point I will always go for Perth Mint.

There are far fewer generic silver coins in the Australian Market over the US market and I think thats alot to do with brand perception.

Bars is another story, there are some good brands such as ABC, Ainslie, SouthernCross etc which are decently recognised but still not on part with Perth Mint for my opinion.

So my two cents would be if you could get alternative brand bars meaningfully cheaper then perth mint, then sure, but if the difference is 50c-$1 over spot...I would go Perth Mint still...

As for coins, I dont know any coins worth stacking that arent Perth Mint, they are in my opinion, some of the best quality coins on the Planet made in our own backyard and instantly recognisable to investors...

My question is though, if your not stacking Perth Mint coins, what are the alternatives in Australia? Eagles/Maples? premiums are relatively the same...

JNS and Holdfast like this.