Updated spreadsheet of dealer inventory, prices, and premiums

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Alloy, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Alloy

Alloy Active Member

Hi all – I updated my Google spreadsheet with a new worksheet. This one has the inventory for a wide range of products as of this morning at four North American dealers: APMEX, JM Bullion, SD Bullion, and Silver.com.

I didn't have time to complete the sheet for Provident and Silver Gold Bull (happy to let others do that – let me know), so those columns are blank. Note that Provident is owned by JM Bullion now, and last time I checked their prices were identical (Silver.com is also owned by JM Bullion, but they're always significantly cheaper, and compete with SD Bullion for the lowest priced dealer in North America).

I still have the original pre-crisis worksheet (see the tabs at bottom), which is super handy to see what premiums are like under normal circumstances.

As you can see, the shelves are almost bare at the moment, but it's actually improved a bit over the past week or two. 2020 American Silver Eagles are in stock at all dealers, and 2020 Queens Beasts at most. The premiums are still very inflated, around 60 - 75% on ASE, compared to 15 - 20% before the crisis.

All the normal bars are gone, but most were gone before the crisis due to a strange bar shortage. APMEX is the only dealer with new bars – their house bars (APMEX branded).

Normal rounds are gone, but JMB and Silver.com still have a lot of weird rounds, e.g. "1 oz Colorized Proof American Western Skulls Gambler Silver Round (New w/ COA)", or "1 oz Antique Amy Brown Collection Haunted Pumpkin Patch Silver Round (New w/ COA)" , of course for more than a 100% premium over spot... APMEX still has their house rounds, at a 48% premium. Ouch.

I don't recommend buying retail physical right now, due to the extremely inflated premiums. I've been putting money into gold and silver ETFs and OneGold vaulted bullion lately, made a bit of return already. But you're in charge of you...

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

Topherclaus, GoldenEye, kilo and 4 others like this.
  2. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

https://comparesilverprices.com/

I go to this site and it shows everything and the big dealers. Most of the blocks are empty but usually they are full.
    Comparegoldandsilver.com is another good one.

3. Alloy

Alloy Active Member

Comparegoldandsilver.com is a dead link. Comparesilverprices.com doesn't have anywhere near the range of my spreadsheet, e.g. Kangaroos, Britannias, Queen's Beasts, Sunshine Mint, Scottsdale, Libertads, etc.

And for some reason they don't even show ASE at most of the dealers, including dealers that definitely have them, like APMEX and Silver.com...

XB and 66rounds like this.
  4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well done Alloy, that's very kind of you to share your spread-sheet; lots of good info there. :cool: :)

APMEX - 16.0% premium on the 1oz silver Kangaroo before.

Now 75.2% :eek:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    kilo, XB and 66rounds like this.
  5. Sawman

Sawman Member

None of the prices the retailer lists matter or can be relied on if they have none available to sell and won't accept orders. JM Bullion list 2019 American Eagle Monster boxes for $9,485 but cannot order - just sign up for an alert. What will the price be when available? AMPEX has 2020 boxes for sale for $12,025. No criticism of JM because they're very competitive and reputable, but isn't the value the price a seller will commit to now?

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The attached spreadsheet is only showing as 43 bytes, has anyone had any luck viewing it?

7. Sawman

Sawman Member

Hard to see but the "google spreadsheet" is the hyperlink that worked for me

Shaddam IV likes this.
  8. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

9. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Aha! Got it. Thanks!

11. Alloy

Alloy Active Member

I'm not sure what that attachment is. It's apparently a gif image file, but I didn't attach any files to my post...

12. Alloy

Alloy Active Member

I don't see a way to edit my post. Maybe you can only edit during a brief window? Anyway I wanted to add the following:

Note that the usual purpose of this spreadsheet is simply to compare dealer premiums. This is not a minute-to-minute snapshot, because relative premiums are fairly stable over time. The new sheet is handy right now, and probably for today and tomorrow, as a snapshot of what's available and what the premiums are. To have an up-to-date snapshot of prices I'd have to build a website with some scripts.

Shaddam IV likes this.