Is this the big one? ( ie how imminent is imminent?- Advice needed)

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by anglox_b, Mar 19, 2020.

1. anglox_b

anglox_b Member

Really could use some input as my head feels like it's going to break from overthinking. Back in 08 I bought physical PMs which I still hold and have not touched. I have also been building an escape pod in a eurozone country, which unfortunately has taken a lot longer to complete than I would have liked. Now due to quarantine, building has been shut down for the next two weeks ( most likely to be extended to probably two months from what i can see) meaning I am now left with a quantity of euros sitting in an account, which I had hoped to have gotten rid of by now. I am aware that I need to remain liquid in case building resumes, but am also painfully aware that the markets could fall over before lockdown is even lifted. Consequently am unsure what to do- whether to pull and hold physical cash ( and lose out on exchanging euros back into stirling), buy more Gold ( assuming I can get it) to be converted back to euros when building finally resumes - and possibly risking possible deflation in the current climate; or to wait and leave my money in my euro account and possibly lose everything in the worst case scenario. All choices are not without risk. Would really appreciate any constructive advice and or opinions. How unstable is the system? Is a bank run likely in the interim? What would you do? Thanks in advance for any tips, advice.
    Regards

A-B

2. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I believe a lot of the answers to your questions are conditional to how long this lockdown/slowdown lasts. Can the world last another month of this without runs on the banks? Given the amount of free money pledged by the govs, yes - probably much longer. If there is another black swan event which causes civil unrest and panic then all bets are off.
    Personally, I am in a holding pattern and this is the right place to monitor. Be poised for your preferred escape plan but be cautious of going 'all in' and potentially suffering at the other side. The silver stackers are definitely ahead of the herd, but in these times it's days, not months or years anymore.

jnkmbx, Gresham's Law and sterling-nz like this.
  3. anglox_b

anglox_b Member

Thanks heartastack

4. SuprmeLeadr

SuprmeLeadr Member

I would go the gold for a number of reasons:
    1. EUR sitting in a bank will depreciate whether or not there are imminent QE/liquidity that erodes their purchasing power.
    2. Gold is the most liquid asset in the world, takes 5 mins to buy and you can always get spot for it when you sell.
    3. Your timeline is unsure, meaning you and your project could be in lockdown for weeks or years. No matter how long it will end up being, you must protect your wealth. You only need to take a glance at what the Fed, RBA, RBNZ, ECB and BOJ are doing now to know that you can't hold currency in times like this. (bailing out every business, debtor and mortgagee in their jurisdiction, and anybody else with their hand out.)
    I wish I had an escape pod in the country. Just shoot roos for food and get some peace and quiet.
    God bless

Gresham's Law likes this.
  5. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Or they might end up behind the herd.
    There is no evidence at the moment that silver is going to recover any time soon, the opposite in fact.
    Gold stackers and those in USD cash seem to be ahead of the herd at the moment. Crypto seems like it's usual yo-yo self.
    There is no doubt we'll keep seeing massive sell off's of stocks and other things to get cash, investment property is next, smart people will be wanting to divest themselves of debt as quickly as possible.
    No doubt you should have a balance of physical cash and gold at this point.
    But remember that physical cash will be no good to you if you are stuck at home and can't go out. There is going to be an explosion in at-home deliveries of almost everything.

6. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

By SS I meant this forum and the topics/discussions here in general. There is enough info here to make informed decisions and stay ahead. It's those kinds of discussions that take place here that I find valuable. I see why that looked like I meant stacking silver was the winning strategy. No, I'm with you on that one.

STKR and SilverDJ like this.
  7. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Who will be delivering them if we are all stuck at home? I have 0 in all my accounts. It's cash and gold for me baby

Krakked789 and sgbuyer like this.
  8. Slimey

Slimey Well-Known Member

Is this the big one? Hey that’s what my missus asked when we first got together and just like silver it went down and now it is a battle to convince her that it is going to rise.
    She has come to realise that she has invested long term. No quick gains.

9. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Delivery will be a social and government priority, bet your bottom fiat.

66rounds likes this.
  10. betterinvestmentthanshare

betterinvestmentthanshare Active Member

top of the list is to try and stay sane whilst the top 10% begins to fleece everyone of every $ they can get their dirty hands on

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  11. anglox_b

anglox_b Member

Thanks everyone, lots to think over. Part of the freak out is the lack of inventory here in the uk. My usual dealer is taking price-fixed orders, but due to interruption of the supply chain, acknowledges that it may be many months before bullion is delivered to customers. Obviously I can't sell what i don't hold. Rightly or wrongly my gut says to wait for the moment. We'll see.

12. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So whatever happened to Q? Another one of trumptys fairly tales?

All the Q pumpers are quiet now haha. The sheep have left the building?

66rounds likes this.
  13. JohnnyBravo300

Ok back to armageddon. 340 dead in america now, wed better shut down the entire world.
    I dont know if the human race can survive this at this kind of death rate.
    Twenty veterans kill themselves every single day. No one says a word.

14. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You need the panic to make Americans move their butts, and hospitals to prepare themselves and for nurses and doctors to stop treating the virus as a joke or just another form of flu - it is clearly more dangerous than flu. I also panicked in late Jan and early Feb because I had to find masks and supplies. After that, people just get used to it, and it becomes a "meh". Trust me, the big hoo-ha over the virus will be over by May.

However, I think the lock down is necessary to create that sense of "urgency", to stop the virus from spreading and allow the healthcare system to prepare itself.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Silver260 and sterling-nz like this.
  15. JohnnyBravo300

Everyone says its worse than the flu but we havent seen that.
    Children are less affected by the covid while the seasonal flu killed almost 150 kids last year.
    The next flu season is 6 months away and we wont be back to work yet and still fighting this. Then what.

66rounds likes this.
  16. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They say it's about 10 times deadlier than flu and that's when healthcare isn't overwhelmed. Probably because they haven't found a medicine. If Chloroquine can work, it will probably make it less deadly. Chloroquine is very cheap.

sterling-nz likes this.
  17. JohnnyBravo300

14573 dead worldwide now so it just passed how many humans are killed by freshwater snails each year.
    Dog attacks kill 25 to 35k
    Snakes kill about 100,000 humans worldwide.
    Mosquito bites....1 million deaths.

Crazy numbers when it comes to a worlds population!

18. Krakked789

Krakked789 Well-Known Member

Was it last week that Russia reported its first death? Interesting how Russia is right next to China...

sgbuyer, 66rounds and JohnnyBravo300 like this.
  19. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is it for sure. Your euros will be worthless in 6 months.

20. JohnnyBravo300

James bullard from the fed just admitted this was all planned and done on purpose. We could be looking at 30 percent unemployment.

The sheeple are for some reason looking to the govt for permission to work.