Tips please: what to collect in silver?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Jonasdundee, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Jonasdundee

Jonasdundee Member

Hi,
    Noob here hoping for some tips. Want to start collecting silver coins. I am intrigued by 'unusual' sizes, so 2oz and bigger. Have heard a lot that lunar collecting is not interesting anymore due to the high mintage. Not a fan of old coins, would like new stuff, nice and shiny :)
    I don't expect to get rich with it but value keeping with a minor upside chance.

Any other ideas what would be a good thing to start collecting, assuming it might be international - Bhutan? Queens Beasts? And if international, what the best place to order from?

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers

2. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

if you want shinny pretty Silver items, then expect to lose your arse on them, that stuff is for collectors not so much investor factor.
    most of the time its a crab shoot on what will retain its premium and what wont. But if you want it for collecting and dont care about the money, Just buy what ever you like.

If your into silver for investment then you just buy the dirty old, boring old low premium bars as close to metal price as possible.

Oddjob and greg8049 like this.
  3. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Wrong section.. we HV silver section

4. slavaja

slavaja Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you don't want to lose on premium just stick with low premium stuff. Most of my high premium stuff has lose its premium overtime. The best bang for your buck is pre decimal silver which is currently trading 10% below spot with no takers. I have recently picked up some at 15% below spot.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    jultorsk and GF like this.
  5. Calendyr

Calendyr Member

If you want to do collecting without paying high premiums, do what I do. Collect bullions and bars. You can even had stuff that has a slightly higher premium to the mix like the Queen's beast series or other coins that sell at 2-5$ additional premium.

Here in Canada, the spot is currently at 23.50$ for silver. Bars and basic bullions like the Maple leaf sell at around 26$. I purchase mostly the basic stuff but also purchase some bullions and rounds that sell bellow 30$ per ounce. That is for my collection.

I think doing both makes it interesting.

Here is a video I made last week that might give you an idea.
    Most of my videos are for people starting stacking, you might find all the info you need on my channel.

Have fun!

6. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Keep collecting and investing separate, the two don’t mix.

Collecting silver is like collecting “sports” playing cards it is hit and miss but can be rewarding.

Investing in silver or gold is buying bullion closest to spot long term

GF likes this.
  7. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've been banging silver away since 1983, & I Personally think the ten ounce bars are the way to go. Cheap over spot. Great in the hand. Easy to stack, & Easy to flip if you need the dollar's

GF, Silver260 and Calendyr like this.
  8. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

This.
    If you like collecting coins, just buy one of each one you like to fondle with daily. Spend the rest of your money on the cheapest silver you can get for the "investing" side of things.

Silverling, Calendyr and Ipv6Ready like this.
  9. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sometimes I do this. I buy something nice here, keep it for a few months and then re-sell it here for the same price. That way I get to see, feel and look up close at a variety of different gear. Plus if you buy a mistake or something you are not that keen on you can offload here as well. I love this hobby.

10. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Been there been that.... Old and new.
    China, USA, Australia and low mintage stuff.
    All sizes, odd, bars and rounds - big and small.
    Proof & BUs.

Now, i continued my collecting silver but slabbed numismatic ones.
    Graded pandas. All other collections sent for grading especially the proof. Same with kooks and lunar as well.
    Some of my high premium-ed stuff starts to deteriorate even they were properly stored. Vacuum sealed and containerized.
    So i decided to slabbed the high premium items at least to prolonged the deterioration then re-sealed them.

Gold is better in long term and it was easy to preserve.Those European gold coins i kept for last 10 years were still at best condition.
    Sovereigns are good ones, Aust, US G Eagles, Kruggers are always good choices.

Bhutan.... not recommended, too pricey numismatic coins but poor market even in registry.
    Queens beast .... good ones but proof items is better if you can get in good price. The BUs always have problem in quality.
    Where to order? LPM in HK or Singapore dealers if in Asia. If USA, there are lot good coin dealers in each state.
    Bhutan coins very easy to find in Singapore but not popular in other countries.
    Old silver coins, check for quality, in MS quality can make you nice return if bought correct.

Check your market if soon you like to flip on selling, better stick with popular ones, but it will always depend where are you staying.
    Chinese coins, if you soon understand the market is gives also a strong return.

Changes in market can not be predicted, no one is credible for it's exact future, What is HOT today may not be tomorrow and vice versa.
    Buying silver is addictive in beginning but once you get used to it, you will learn more what i mean.
    Enjoy Stacking:)

Silverling likes this.
  11. Ozi

Ozi Member

Really?

12. slavaja

Gold lunars are still strong not sure about silver

madaw1 and Ozi like this.
  13. Jonasdundee

Jonasdundee Member

With tens of thousands mintage.. Wouldn't that mean that there will never be a scarcity of a particular coin...

14. Jonasdundee

Jonasdundee Member

Thanks so much for all the tips. I am based in Australia - not sure if it's worth buying international with transport etc costs...?

JNS likes this.
  15. slavaja

Try to buy everything local

JNS and sgbuyer like this.
  16. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

↑↑↑↑↑
    This.

In order: Round 50s, 1 oz rounds, 10oz bars.

Numismatics is a mine field.

(as in "the loss is mine!" lol)

Oddjob, JNS and spannermonkey like this.
  17. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Buy only international if you seriously enjoying and delighted with the coin series of certain mint.
    I am always delighted with Australian coins, which gives me less problems compare to other mint pertaining on storage issues of deterioration.

9 years ago, i was lucky to visit Melbourne and bought a bunch of silver in GS.
    The price of silver start peaking and on its hype that time.
    Thanks to addiction that leads me to continuous incremental stacking up to now.

As a Happy Man....I enjoyed stacking better with no more strategies. What lies ahead, no intention to be worried.
    It truly became partly and a patiently hobby after all. Collecting is just a bonus part.

18. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If it's cheap, that is close to spot within a couple of $ buy it...be it coins, bars etc.

Best buys will probably come via this forum. Other places to watch in Aust, are the bullion dealers such as ABC, KGC, Bullion Now will from time to time be selling "buy backs" which means lower premium / closer to spot as they are not brand spanking new etc. Usually deals on various silver coins (Perth Mint, ASE's, Maples) or larger 1kg bars.

That said, if you like something a lot and just want it to have and hold cos it appeals to you, then buy it.

Good luck and enjoy stacking.

19. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1kg bar going for spot + shipping
    there are monthly meet up
    standard bar or coins in tube/roll
    some dealers
    overseas shipping is never cheap, but none the less, there are demand for them

20. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Never,ever follow the crowd -if you love lunar coin ,don't look what the other are saying-I still think that lunar coin is the way to go for the future....