Valentines Day: Precious Metals vs A Woman's Heart

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by fishduck, Feb 14, 2020.

1. fishduck

fishduck Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not realising that it was Valentines Day today until later on, I got curious as to how much roses and chocolate costed today as an opportunity cost for getting precious metals, particularly silver.

So, looking at this website, which shows the cost of roses for valentines day
    https://www.freshflowers.com.au/occasions/valentines-day

With this particular link, showing a single stem of a rose costing $54.95
    https://www.freshflowers.com.au/red-rose-single-stem-for-valentines-day

And this link, showing a single rose costing $45.15
    https://www.interflora.com.au/type/roses

Both links above exclude shipping costs, so if you include the shipping costs, it should cost around $55~65 for a single stem. The cost is quite similar if you are going to your local shops where they offer a bunch of roses at these prices.
    If you are getting more roses, it will be at a higher cost.

So for example, with this Valentines day gift (named 'Grand Seduction'), at $252.15 (excluding shipping), costs more than 1/10 of an ounce of gold at todays spot price. If you include the shipping price, this comes to about the same price for 10 ounces of silver at today's spot price.
    https://www.interflora.com.au/au/757/grand-seduction

So looking at the stark contrast of both values (one being perceived as overvalued while the other perceived as undervalued), I was wondering if anyone would pay these prices to win a girl/woman's heart at the expense of forgoing the opportunity to stack more precious metals (be it gold or silver).
    Giving jewellery on Valentines day can also be applied to this as jewellery prices would be much higher than spot due to worksmanship + marketing.

Also, if one is doing this every year, they are forgoing that much in stacking precious metals.

So with the lowest cost being a single rose at around $55~65 it means that the floor price in trying to win a girls heart on Valentines day will cost you at least 2 ounces of silver if one is willing to play this game. This is just for the roses, we haven't even added the cost of fancy restaurants and high end hotels.

And we are seeing this with an impending economical collapse towards our way.

So, any stackers here playing this game of trying to win a girls heart which maybe yours on one day and might not be on some other day, where you are sacrificing your labour to buy gifts at exuberant prices (resulting from supply, demand and marketing) hoping that winning a girls heart will all be worth it in the end?
    And, if anyone is playing this game, has it actually been worth it in the end? I am genuinely curious as I am seeing one as an overvalued proposition and the other as an undervalued proposition if I'm looking at this purely on monetary terms.

Love is intangible while Precious Metals are tangible. You can hold one in your hand while you can't hold the other. One is perceived to be precious while the other is 'precious'. One requires constant attention, while the other not as so.

PS: This link for product, 'Key to My Heart', comes to $141.15, comes to over 5 ounces of silver at spot and including shipping costs more than 2 grams of gold at spot. So, I'm guessing that 5 ounces of silver or 2 grams of gold at todays price should be enough to win a girls heart? :p
    https://www.interflora.com.au/au/866/key-to-my-heart

Let me know what you guys think and thanks for reading this, it was rather long but I hope you guys got a good read out of it.

2. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

Valentines gifts are supposed to be an expression of affection/love. If you found a partner that will appreciate a financial asset as a Valentines gift over more traditional things like perishable flowers, sinful edibles or a romantic experience out on the town, bully for you!

paruwka and fishduck like this.
  3. fishduck

So this comes back to the age old argument as to whether one must express their affection/love by spending money on gifts at exuberant prices on a particular day, where to some it is expected instead of being celebrated.
    I was simply pointing out the opportunity cost in terms of Precious Metals when one decides to engage in this and to also point out why one is expressing their love and affection on a single date at a great cost. Why must is be more special to express your love on Valentines Day versus any other given day?

This also brings up the age old question as to whether spending more money correlates to loving the person more.

And yes, if one can have the best of both worlds by finding someone who appreciates a financial asset instead edibles and perishables, good for them :)

4. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

$50- $200 for those gifts is far cheaper than a divorce for a measly 5 ounces of silver lol,
    , As much as I like silver and gold, I like vagina a hell of allot more lol choice is yours bro, with that way of thinking your options are, either a Girl or a solid silver fleshlight. lol
    I think that pretty well answers your question

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    JohnnyBravo300, paruwka, Ad1 and 3 others like this.
  5. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is an interesting conversation.

On one hand have a holiday which traditionally encourages the expression of love and affection to those closest to you, and on the other you have preconceived obligations and expectations to express yourself in a way that measures up to the social norm.

Like many holidays or traditions, the true meaning has been lost over time and most have just become a vessel for the retail sector to capitalise on the opportunities they create by saturating our lives with marketing throughout the calendar year. I view it as 'reinforced indoctrination' and 'economic conditioning', which I don't appreciate.

fishduck likes this.
  6. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I paid $5 for a rose with accompany tiny white flowers from a local supermarket. The cheap roses are usually from China. They won't cost more than $1 each and the shops sell them for $10 a stick.

7. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Valentine's Day = guy's lucky day!

Yer feelin' lucky punk?!

Boyscout and slavaja like this.
  8. sellmeyourbullion

sellmeyourbullion Active Member Silver Stacker

9. long88

long88 Member

No money no love.. applies to everyone

10. fishduck

Thanks for all the feedback guys :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  11. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

woah, I think its time to put the crack pipe down, and go back to playing World of war craft lol
    you over thinking shit

12. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

I know a few dudes who had success with Tinder, might be worth giving that a try

13. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

14. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

15. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Skip the roses and take your prospective sweetheart out for a stroll and coffee in the local botanic gardens. Feign interest in the myriads of pretty flowers and say something romantic. Sorted. :cool:
    --
    As a fair precaution, I'd recommend reading 'The Egyptian' (Mika Waltari).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046949/characters/nm0201794

16. Agnostic

Agnostic Active Member Silver Stacker

Precious Metals Vs A Woman's Heart
    Expensive
    Cold if untouched
    If carried can cause lump in pocket
    Tarnishes with age
    Up and down unpredictably
    If lost, panic ensues
    Alternative investments look attractive
    Can be held for the long term
    Generational value

17. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

that’s perfect :eek:

18. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Be a cheapskate and just screw her for valentines!

19. fishduck

From my observation, I'm seeing a lot of weddings going on right now and I'm also seeing more pregnant women walking down the streets, so I do think things are happening.

20. Number 47

Number 47 Well-Known Member

Valentines day, it's just another rubbish day invented by Hallmark

Skyrocket likes this.