eBay disaster PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by evil_ss, Feb 7, 2020.

1. evil_ss

evil_ss Active Member

Hi Team,
    I recently sold a Perth mint coin on eBay and it’s been nothing but drama.

Firstly, the buyer sent all kinds of requests like placing low value so to avoid tax in their country etc, then after sending the coin international express post, the buyer opened a item not received case as it was taking longer than they would have liked. Finally the coin landed in their country and they closed the case. Within minutes of closing that, they opened a item not as described case against me stating the coin was scratched. As we all know the plastic capsule is liable to gain scratches especially after 7 years. The coin itself was never removed from the capsule and was in perfect condition.

I did offer to purchase them a new case if the Perth mint sells them as a goodwill gesture (which they refused).

What on earth can I do here?? I have done so much to accomodate the buyer and now I’m stuck. Any advice will be appreciated

I have attached a few pics from myself and the buyer for reference

Attached Files:

2. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is a scam that has been run many times before, and it's why so many people refuse to sell to overseas buyers anymore to avoid this exact situation

Honestly, I'd just tell them to send you the item back, and once you have received it, refund them. It will be the easiest way to move on from this - at least you haven't lost the item as they have acknowledged receiving it - just use it as a learning lesson and stick to selling within AU imo

The only problem you might face, which might be part of the scam, is that they send you back the same item, but their scratched version - so they run this scam knowing they will either get it for free, or get your good coin for their damaged one. Sorry mate, I feel for you - try contacting eBay direct too, and tell them that you're worried about this exact type of scam

XB, Gresham's Law, kilo and 3 others like this.
  3. slavaja

slavaja Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do it back at them. Tell them item not received and don't refund them

GF likes this.
  4. Soprano16

As long as eBay see that the item has been delivered (via the tracking provided) they will force refund it

66rounds likes this.
  5. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

eBay is horrible for sellers but amazing for buyers for this exact reason. If you transact through PayPal, eBay can force movement of funds back to the purchaser without seller input. I would get in touch with eBay with my pre purchase photos and go from there.

evil_ss likes this.
  6. slavaja

Tell eBay you received a empty parcel

7. evil_ss

evil_ss Active Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I messaged eBay directly with all the evidence (including the tampering), and they said if the buyer escalates the case they will ask them to send it back for a refund. That means I lose $223 in postage costs at best! WTF

8. slavaja

Should have put the coin here someone would have snapped it up

9. 66rounds

An expensive lesson but better than the alternative.

milled likes this.
  10. Garnet

Garnet Active Member Silver Stacker

Lets hope they send you back the actual coin and not a metal washer or something like that, which has happened to me. Crap situation to be in

66rounds and slavaja like this.
  11. slavaja

Scratches looks like it was done on purpose as well

66rounds and Garnet like this.
  12. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What a scumbag buyer! There should be appropriate avenues for sellers to take action against this kind of non-sense and seek compensation. Otherwise eBay and PayPal are just enabling and facilitating unethical (and boarder-line criminal) behaviour.

I mean FFS, the value is in the gold coin and not the capsule. A partial refund of $1 would have been appropriate, or simply allowing you to provide a replacement, like you offered.

It's never just about the money. It's the principal of being taken advantage of that leaves us bitter in these situations.

I have always held the view that it's better to walk the higher ground than to lower yourself to the same standard you disapprove of in others.

evil_ss and Number 47 like this.
  13. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

don't forget to link to the sellers account so I can block him as well

66rounds likes this.
  14. Soprano16

His eBay username is shown on the 3rd image, might be a good idea for anyone hear to take note of that

If this person was to buy from you, are there eBay tools in place which allow you decline him? Do they allow that?

15. 66rounds

You can prevent bidders with low rep from bidding I believe. This bloke will just start a new account and scam someone else new to selling on eBay

evil_ss and STKR like this.
  16. evil_ss

evil_ss Active Member

I will let the case go to eBay for final decision. I’m worried that I won’t even get the coin back now. Does anyone know the the rules around when the funds are released back to the buyer?

e.g courier service comes to my door, I open the package in front of them and refuse to sign for it if something is amiss?

17. evil_ss

evil_ss Active Member

I’m the seller, so please don’t block me!

18. evil_ss

evil_ss Active Member

You are exactly right. Everything is set up to assist the buyer and not the seller. The buyer clearly tampered with the case as he has one image with no damage, then one with damage. It should be an open and shut case.

19. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Considering the situation, I'd be surprised if the coin returned is your coin. I could see an operation like this working with people returning fakes and profiting from the real coin. It would be very hard to dispute that the coin you sent wasn't already a fake. Even XRF results wouldn't bypass the issue and comparing the photo's of the coin you listed and the one you claim to have received, wouldn't be enough to establish a clear cut case.

I guess the question is: In these scenarios, what measure does eBay have in place to protect against such cases of fraud?

If the buyer has supplied two images of the coin + capsule, one without scratches and one with, then they've shot themselves in the foot when it comes to making a case against you. I hope for your sake that eBay can see this for what it is.

Best of luck.

20. bigsky

bigsky Active Member Silver Stacker

You appear to have sold a 5k item to an overseas buyer....that item should probably
    sell for $200 to $300 over spot on a good day...if someone bought it for over $500 or more
    over spot...then it is probably a scam

A couple of things that i picked up....that second image the buyer took, looks like it
    could be an image of the coin without its case....so that might not work in your favour

The buyer has been around a little while with quite a few private listings bought
    and low activity in the last 6 month...but did have one transaction with northbayrarecoins
    ...contact them to see if the buyer was good and it was for an expesnsive item...
    if it was just a very low cost item then it is probably a scamer you are dealing with

What country did you send it to....from the mailing address...see if there is a coin
    shop in the local area...and try to see if the shop sell on ebay....suggest to ebay that the
    seller should take the coin there for authentication/valuation/condition report

The coin shop should give you a valuation of at least spot or a price that they are
    willing to buy the item for, contact the coin shop and tell them the situation
    most people would help you out in your circumstances

The last thing that you want to happen IMO is that the coin is returned here
    there is too much risk....if you are dealing with a scammer and some of
    the answers to the questions above will give this away...then the coin that
    you sold will not turn up...but something else probably will
    The buyer then says he sent the item back but it must have been swapped in transit
    You probably wont win this case...if that happens

these are just my thoughts...scammers know ebay proceedure better then we do

all the best with it and keep us in the loop here...it is good to know for future

BTW your other coins like that 2oz snake that you sold, you would probably get
    more for here then selling on ebay after their fees...just letting you know

cheers grant

Lunardragon and milled like this.