Would you ever take credit to buy bullion?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Bobhawke33, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Bobhawke33

Bobhawke33 New Member

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but a stacker from way back.

I have a decent size collection of bullion that I have put together over the years. However, I have a friend that has just started, and seems impatient to achieve at a stack similar to mine.

He told me he is planning to take a personal loan out (from a bank) so probably over 10% per anum.

Am I the only one saying this is a bad idea or can anyone find some valid points for doing this?

2. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi and welcome to Silver Stackers.

With regards to your question, no I wouldn't borrow money to invest in metals either. Why? The first thing is the 10% interest rate, that means for a start that your precious metals have to go up by that much each year your loan is open to cover the repayments. In other words you are 10% behind the 8 ball to start with. Secondly, how will you friend handle the price going down? It is possible. If that happens not only is he paying 10% interest he is also losing capital value of his metals and what if he has an emergency and needs to sell them? Then he gets less than what he paid and STILL has the 10% interest to pay. I wouldn't do it, cheers.

adze67, Davros10 and GoldenEye like this.
  3. Bobhawke33

Bobhawke33 New Member

I have made alot of these points to him which he does agree with but I think he's trapped in the fomo spiral. Thinking there won't be an opportunity to slowly stack and cost average his purchases because SHTF in 2020.

At the end of the day it's his decision, I just wanted to show him that other people have also made these or similar points. Just trying to give him the best chance at successfully putting a stack together

Silverling likes this.
  4. SilverSale

SilverSale Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, do it!

(just joking... bad idea)

adze67 and 66rounds like this.
  5. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I also don't recommend borrowing money to buy bullion!
    Although if you have the time and skills to do a bit of research, I think it's possible to fund your bullion purchases with cheap funds.
    I know a member here who has been stacking using funds from a number of short term no interest credit cards
    A degree of skill and time is needed as he has to actively search out new no interest credit card deals to replace current cards that expire after 6 - 12 months!
    Not everyone's cup of tea however it seems to work for him:)

66rounds and Silverling like this.
  6. Bobhawke33

Bobhawke33 New Member

Wouldn't that be basically a cash advance transaction though? I thought that would attract an even higher interest rate?

7. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nah it's not usually, it's a purchase like you buy groceries you buy bullion instead. Maybe sometimes a bullion shop might put 1 to 2% on top to cover credit card charges but in my experience it's definitely a standard purchase.

8. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From the gist of our discussion, as soon as one interest free credit card is about to expire, he rolls it into another.
    He probably buys the initial stack using the credit card instead of taking out a cash advance.
    If one day, banks decided not to issue interest free credit cards; he would probably have to reduce his stack or pay 9%+
    I suppose it would still work if silver prices increases at the current rate

66rounds likes this.
  9. Bobhawke33

Bobhawke33 New Member

Interesting way of stacking i must say. But definitely risky as you outlined earlier. I just like not owing anyone a dime and progressively stacking from my own cash

adze67, paruwka and 66rounds like this.
  10. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gold definitely not even if you bought gold at the lows in 2015, at 10% interest, you’ll still be losing money now. Maybe something like palladium or rhodium where the price can go up 10 times, but you need to catch the lows.

11. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Could try options, which involve putting down a small percentage of the PM's value. So if you put down 5% and the price goes down 5% you're wiped out, but if it goes up 5% you double your money.

adze67 and Bobhawke33 like this.
  12. Davros10

Davros10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It doesn't sound like your mate would listen anyway, but if you're asking on a site that is fundamentally bullish about stacking PMs and getting a resounding NO, then I don't know what would convince him.

adze67, 66rounds, sgbuyer and 2 others like this.
  13. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

Sounds like a friend with a case of premature FOMO. Even if it is too early for this sort of thing, it’s nice to see a whiff of it in the metals forums. It’s been long time between drinks.

The most valid point for your friend to adopt might be the concept of making a profit. Buying due to FOMO is a popular emotional recipe for failure.

It would make more sense for your friend to consider the reason why they want it so badly they would go into debt for it.

It would be wildly bullish, even more bullish than travelling showmen like “Jackass” Jim Willie, to think prices will double in the next year. Not saying it won’t happen, but that is an outlier viewpoint.

What if it’s more of the crabwalking sideways action? Your friend is then locked into a marrow sapping progressive loss that they will stew over in a mental prison of their own making. Not worth it. They could end up with much less than had they just bought small purchases as they earned the money. It is bad enough losing money on something. It is going to be misery on steroids to lose money on something AND be underwater in debt from it as well. Would your friend gamble with a credit card?

This isn’t like a house or, if young, a car ...these are going to provide immediate tangible utility.

adze67, 66rounds and Davros10 like this.
  14. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

If you can't afford don't borrow to buy any metals. Do stacking slowly but surely but with your own money and after a few years you will successful.

15. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10% personal loan is way too high
    the low interest environment have come to an ending
    he should sell his car to buy metal, if he can't do it, don't use credit

16. Bobhawke33

Bobhawke33 New Member

Honestly I think after reading everyone's point of view, and still want to go ahead, you're playing with fire. Burns generally follow

17. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is how I bought my first bulk batch of gold even though I was in and out of work. Sold two cars and went down to share a single family commuter. Ignoring that I can now stack more because of less bills, I bought 4.5 ounces of gold for the loss of convenience.

adze67, JS1880 and sgbuyer like this.
  18. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

some people can pay off debt but cant save. it may be the only way they can accumulate wealth.
    not saying it is the smarted way to do it but some people are just geared that way thanks to years of banking brainwashing teaching them debt is the only way to get ahead

adze67, JS1880, 66rounds and 2 others like this.
  19. Bobhawke33

Bobhawke33 New Member

That's actually a really interesting way of looking at it. It's a psychological game

STKR and 66rounds like this.
  20. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It’s like a mortgage, people have no problems paying off a mortgage but the problem comes after you sold the house and got hold of half a million which can turn out to be a curse.

This is why Chinese people like to pass down houses in belief that their offsprings are less likely to squander it away.

66rounds likes this.