Unsolicited / off-topic comments in trading threads

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by goldpelican, Feb 27, 2013.

1. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

different people have different time horizon, so the price may be different
    but if you see there are similar items selling for much less so many times in such a short time span, you better be quick to take the next item, faster hands first
    why disturb people who are waiting... for lower/higher prices
    when you can get the spot on the spot

price + post
    if distance do make the difference, sometimes it does

your money -- > Ag/Au <--- the seller
    postman

2. Grizzly

Grizzly Active Member

I was referring to items that are readily available from bullion dealers right now. For example, I just price checked 2 of the widely known Australian retailers for the price of 2019 Koalas. The price for a roll of 20 is approximately $600 plus postage. One shows a bit less than the other but charges higher postage, so it averages out.

If I then put a roll of 2019 koalas up for sale at $800 plus postage hoping some sucker bought it because they are new and don't know where to buy it themselves, I would feel like a scammer. Or at least I view people who do that as scammers. Also not helpful to people who are new to stacking. Given the recent price increase of silver / gold, the general public's interest in stacking is likely to increase.

Caveat emptor.

sctpc, Midastouchofgold and boneyard like this.
  3. mrsilverservice

mrsilverservice Well-Known Member

Butting into someone's sales post mudding their water after listing is a big no no and none of anyone's business except the seller what ever the price they might ask for whatever they might sell :D

If someone is dumb enough to give them 1m for an ounce of silver good luck to them :p

As usual it is buyer beware what ever you buy where ever you buy it,and it is so simple to do even the smallest amount of research no excuses o_O

Life is a learning experience so learn for free or pay for your lesson :eek:

-

-

-

-

-

The Book of Psalms Chapter 52 verse 7

Here is the man who did not make God his strength,but trusted in the abundance of this riches,and strengthen himself in his wickedness :)

4. wissilver

wissilver Active Member

GoldenEye likes this.
  5. wissilver

wissilver Active Member

I tried opening the webpage on another computer looks like it's working fine, so I guess I have some virus that is not letting me visit www.goldstackers.com.au time to look for a fix

6. wissilver

wissilver Active Member

Hi guys, A new member that opened his account 1 month ago buzzed my item yesterday in forum and I pmed him his invoice to check so he can pay. He reviewed the $ amount and agreed so I sent him the bank details to make payment to. After that he demanded that I give him my personal information ie address and mobile before making payment to which I explained that I can't give out such information for security reasons as I would be tracked and robbed etc. I explained to him that when he commmitted to make the purchase he didn't state the condition of me giving my personal details, so the deal was done based on the listing rules. I gave him 2 options, 1) Make the payment for what he agreed to pay and get his item shipped or 2) Cancel the order and receive a negative buyer feedback. He chose option 2 so I cancelled the order and left negative feedback as he agreed to. Now he left negative feedback for me as a revenge move, how can i remove that negative feedback because I didn't do anything deserving of such feedback? Thanks for your help in this matter.

Silverling, Boyscout and GoldenEye like this.
  7. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would contact an administrator here via pm and explain the situation to them and ask to get the negative removed. You are in the right here however if it was me I would have just cancelled the deal without leaving the negative and just moved on.

I can vouch through our interactions here that you are an honest and decent seller, Good luck mate, cheers.

silverhair and wissilver like this.
  8. Boyscout

Boyscout Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The feedback system is used to help us determine if we want to trade with a certain individual based on how they act in trades
    I for one would have also left the newbie Negative feedback knowing that it would most likely result in him / her doing the same. I would comfortably do this as i am certain that the admins would be able to see what has transpired and have any such negative reprisal feedback left against me removed

I have only ever had to leave Negative feedback once. And i do not regret in doing so as it hopefully prevented in other members been scammed at the time
    Wissilver i firmly believe you have done the right thing.

66rounds, Silverling and wissilver like this.
  9. wissilver

wissilver Active Member

Thanks Boyscout, I don't like to leave negative feedback either but because it's a new account created recently and he was asking for personal information I felt for the best of the community people know what happened if he was a malicious person others would be able to see this and be careful for their protection/safety. If the person was a reputable long time member I would not have opted to leave a negative feedback

oziwassabi, Silverling and Boyscout like this.
  10. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The bank transfer method of payment is unfortunately not perfect. Having traded on the internet since the early 2000’s I have had two bank transfer deals go bad. These were NOT on silverstackers. As such I have on occasion asked for peoples mobile details and drivers licence details. Last time the person covered their address which was fine by me.

FYI the police have no capability or interest in tracking bank transfers that have gone bad. The banks will only issue a recall to the person the money was sent to but will not force the return of the money in most cases. This is also true when you transfer to the wrong account number.

So although wissilver I understand your desire for anonymity it means people with bad intentions can use this to their advantage. You have acted honourably by explaining your position however I personally would have just cancelled the deal.

Negative feedback is important so we know about how trades went. You tried to reach mutual agreement but weren’t able to. What should be the threshold for negative feedback when no trade has occurred? What was your intent in informing others that they may not reach agreeable terms with this person?

Comments is a thread disappear in the mass of messages over time. Feedback is accessible in a somewhat permanent fashion from what I can see.

Again I think we all have different expectations in a transaction. Sometimes these don’t match up. We want new members to join and be active as this provides a broader community to engage with and trade with.

11. wissilver

wissilver Active Member

The key thing is that the deal/agreement was made prior to the person requesting my personal details. If he had PMed me and asked for my personal details before committing to a deal he would have heard why I don't give my details out and then made a decision to proceed with the deal or not, but in this case he made the deal and only after payment was expected did he later message he wants my details and didn't want to make payment for what he buzzed. As i said if he was a reputable long time member he might have known that you don't commit and have an agreement before ironing out any conditions you may want to impose/append to the deal.

Silverling and Boyscout like this.
  12. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I read through your ad/post and I see nothing stating the the trade would be anonymous.
    Again to me this is not about blaming anyone for their position on how they want to trade. But a new member might just assume that you would have supplied some details. In this case that was an incorrect assumption. A mistake. There is no rule here that I am aware of that people won’t share any information about themselves. In fact the buyer has to supply a name and address.
    You have a point of view about this. The buyer has a different point of view. My two cent question is does that warrant negative feedback? Who will be endangered by this action of requesting details?

I haven’t sold anything here for a long time and so I could be talking out of place but as a buyer I don’t agree with negative feedback in this case. However it has informed me that some sellers won’t share any info and will respond negatively. So I am appreciative that you raised this point.

Bullion Baron likes this.
  13. wissilver

wissilver Active Member

If a buyer wants to add terms they need to do so before agreeing to the deal. I don't know how else to say this, but if we wanted our information out there we can add it on our profile like bullion dealers, and therefore it's implied that it's an anonymous trade. The buyer provides there address because they want the item shipped to them, if privacy is an issue for them they can have a PO Box like most people do to keep there address private. Give mobile numbers can result in someone googling it and maybe finding a resume online and hence linking to an address and that's not an unreasonable reason to decline giving my details (which I explained to the buyer clearly).

14. wissilver

wissilver Active Member

Thank you brother, much appreciated. I will continue to do my best to serve the community with high standard transactions and keep good communications as best I can from my end to avoid an dissatisfaction.

Silverling likes this.
  15. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

As a buyer I always ask for contact details ie landline and name etc so that if somethings goes wrong I can make contact directly
    I usually make contact directly to ensure the details are correct before I transfer funds.

openeyes and 66rounds like this.
  16. wissilver

wissilver Active Member

I understand the need for contacting, however that's easily done via mobile internet by PM on silverstackers. Also if a buyer elects to give me there number (without me asking as I don't ask for any private information unless they give it themselves) then I call when communication is needed while hiding my caller ID.

66rounds likes this.
  17. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Negative feedback was not necessary at all in this case. Buyer asked for your details which you rightfully refused(more than likely the rest of us would have done the same,especially when trading with new members).You could have just cancelled the trade and move on. Having said all these you might have done the right thing giving neg feedback as looking at the new member why would he/she accepted to get negative feedback as a new member(that is not how you build reputation here or anywhere) instead just cancel and move on:rolleyes: maybe,just maybe he/she was up to no good....(you were selling lots of stuff lately and were very active on the selling forum....)

1for1, mongrelmaple and 66rounds like this.
  18. wissilver

wissilver Active Member

Yes as stated he accepted to go with negative feedback to cancel the deal. My concern was that because it's a new member I wanted to have a feedback there so people can be careful. I mentioned an appropriate feedback comment to explain the situation so anyone the person deals with in future knows why it's negative, ie it's not negative like he stole anything but negative for backing out after buzzing for this specific reason. He should have proceeded with the deal as he admitted in PM to me that I had good seller feedback so he was comfortable to deal with me.

Boyscout likes this.
  19. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Talk about making mountains out of molehills :rolleyes:

A brand new forum member buzzed an item, because they would have seen that this is how things are done here (without ever have seeing how the whole PM/back end works), and then for the sake of their own security asked if they could have some personal information for peace of mind, and it somehow lead to this?

You're absolutely fine to refuse to provide personal info, but to then basically tell them they either must buy or you'll leave negative feedback is extremely poor form on your behalf, and sorry but I'm not buying the whole "I wanted to have a feedback there so people can be careful" thing either. Careful of what exactly?

I'm glad Oz removed the negative feedback that was left for you, but he should probably remove the other persons feedback that you left too.

I'm not siding with the buyer by any means, but I would think that experienced members here cut a little slack to newbies, and even take the time to help/explain how things work

All of this could have been so easily avoided and dealt with so much better.

20. wissilver

wissilver Active Member

I don't know, i would say better safe than sorry. Anyone can make new accounts and use them for scams and the fellow doesn't have any interaction so I wouldn't say I overreacted. Besides buzzing and then wasting time on paying is an issue because if spot price moves down the buyer can make up an excuse to back out and if price moves up seller can say sorry i changed my mind. When you order something pay for it, especially when the person you are buying from has 4 recent positive seller feedback and no negative feedback ever.

66rounds likes this.