VPN - Virtual Private Network - Please Explain.

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by betterlatethannever, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Mint Silver Coins

Mint Silver Coins Well-Known Member

I also use NordVPN and highly recommend it :)

Alfie likes this.
  2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I set up my own VPN on a rented virtual computer droplet on an overseas cloud server. Installed an OS on the virtual computer, installed VPN software on that OS and it gives me a personal VPN which means that none of the companies like Netflix log it as a VPN provider and I don't have to compete for bandwidth either. Renting the virtual CPU and SSD costs me $3.00 USD per month. Took me all of 20 minutes to install it and get it running. My virtual computer is just one of thousands at that cloud server, I think that most of the rented CPU's there are used by software developers testing their apps in the cloud, I am just a tiny single core and virtual SSD droplet in amongst all that and as all my server has to do is run a VPN app I have all the speed and storage that I need for a tiny amount per month.

I am renting a virtual computer, not a VPN service so it's as anonymous as you can get. In effect I am my own VPN provider.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    milled, leo25, 66rounds and 2 others like this.
  3. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don’t know to be truthful. I’d rather trust a company from a developed nation rather than a country where $10000 would seem like a windfall to a rogue staff.

Be wary of VPN because it’s not fix all.
    Ie is good for privacy against casual hacker etc, but its not much help against someone targeting you.

Alfie and willrocks like this.
  4. RBrowny

RBrowny Guest

I've been recently researching and comparing several VPN providers for anonymous surfing the web that will work perfectly with Kodi. Actually I found out that ExpressVPN is the best option. I haven't signed up yet so cannot speak from personal experience but purely based on highly reputable reviews here https://www.firesticktricks.com/install-best-vpn-firestick.html . So once subscribed, keep you posted on my experience.

5. SuprmeLeadr

SuprmeLeadr Member

Surfshark

6. screaming eagle

screaming eagle Active Member Silver Stacker

I find Proton VPN quite good, they're upfront about what they can and can't do. Their encrypted email service is also decent. You do pay for the service though.

7. milled

milled Active Member

proton has a lot going for it
    Switzerland has strong privacy laws, the vpn (at least last time I looked) could be purchased with crypto and they have anonymous email.
    the price was also competitive, little more than a bus ticket per month for the VPN

8. RBrowny

RBrowny Guest

My personal opinions about selecting a VPN:
    1. There are some free ones out there but running such a service costs money and nothing is free and most free ones I've seen restrict your speed. Better to use cheap VPN

2. If you are doing it for privacy you need to be careful about the jurisdiction covering the servers you use and the policies of the company providing the service.

3. A good indication about the privacy is the "rules" the provider says about what you can do - if they don't have any logging they can't easily tell what you are doing.

minimilled and Shaddam IV like this.