PANDORA BOX Evil Within EHR Epic High Relief 3 Oz Silver

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Nov 30, 2019.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Anyone happen to pick one of these up. I'm tempted. I love the detail and relief.

This stunning 3 Oz Silver Coin is dedicated to an artifact in Greek mythology which seems to be valuable but which in reality is a curse- Pandora's Box. The coin features unbelievable High Reliefs and details thanks to the new EHR technology, has an incredible design and comes in a case, along with the Certificate of Authenticity. Limited mintage of only 666 pcs worldwide.

2. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

I got one when they first released: paid too much as they haven't sold very well, but a beautiful coin. I've seen a number of places have them on sale over the last little while, which even made me think about buying a second one but I'm not greedy.

IMO it is one of the most unique and beautiful designs that has been released over the last 12 months and it didn't get the love it deserved, but that was because it was priced too high. The Coin Shoppe currently has it at what looks like the best price.

3. barsenault

I love it too. Thanks for the link! I got 2 of them! 1 for the collection and the other to hopefully pay for the one I got. Lol. Or at least pay down $100 or so. Lol.

4. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

The original price just scared too many people away, but I'm still surprised that more people haven't picked up the remaining stock at the discounted prices. It really is a beautiful coin and extremely well done.

5. barsenault

What was the initial price? 400 would be my guess. It looks like a nice piece!! Only 666 pieces too. Strange that it hasn’t been more popular

6. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

That's about right. I paid $416.60 US for it and I pre-ordered it on the first day it was available, a couple of hours after it went live. But then again, I bought it straight from PowerCoin, so the price was higher than most.

7. barsenault

Do you know if is a series or a one off? Prices seem to be softening a bit. When we’re these issued? June 2019? 500 or lower seems to be the sweet spot with these types of coins. Anything more, it’s just too much supply. Yes?

8. barsenault

9. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

It's a one off, issued in April of this year and shipped in July. It would have made an interesting series if they maybe looked at interpretations of mythological "objects," but that was never the plan, unfortunately. There's been so many series based upon myths and gods from a persona perspective, but not from an object perspective; given how many of the tired interpretations of gods there have been (one of the reasons why I liked the Asgards series so much was that it was unique), I would have liked something different.

The mintage of 666 was kind of a strange choice, but I see why they chose that number: but 500 would have been the better number to go with. It is one of my favorite coins because it is so unique and beautiful: the swirling motion pulls you in when you see it in hand. I don't regret the buy even though it can be had for cheaper now: I don't buy to flip, I buy what I like (and can afford).

But I have to say again the design was wonderfully done and very unique. They came in too high at the original listing price which scared a number of collectors away, but with most numis of the last while that is a trend that stores are hurting themselves and collectors with.

10. barsenault

Interesting about it being a one off. I think that’s a good thing. It’s unique. Lol. These days everything is a series, so to have a one off, I think serves us well. I’m looking forward to adding this one to my collection. I’m sure the pictures and the videos don’t do it justice! Both sides look great, which is another good feature...hard to find without a big Queen mug. Maybe the title also scared people away too. And the 666 thing...yeah, probably not a smart move. Make it about the art and the story, not about the occult. Oh well, water under the bridge. I bought it for the art work, and how it replicates the original...they did an outstanding job! I’m really surprised this hasn’t sold out...a lot of dealers have them for sale, and lots of supply. They probably should have priced it at 250.00 out of the gate and raised prices from there To start at 400 was their downfall, as we both know.

11. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

Yeah, I'd post pictures, but there are enough of them out there, and you really do need to see it in hand. I agree on the one-off being preferred, the coin stands on its own and there would have been no need to milk it. The mintage, price, etc. was unfortunate: before the cut prices started happening about a month or so ago, when someone posted about the coin online, collectors would ask about the price and then move on. There was enough supply out there that people just balked at paying that much for something that looked like it wasn't that hot of a seller.

$250 would have been the right price with 500 mintage as a start, but it was released when dealers were still doing the inflated price scheme that we've talked about before with the Poland stuff. Prices have come down over the last six months in general for high-end numis on release as dealers seem to be figuring out that they have taken advantage of collectors for too long, and the abundance of new releases that are not selling out quickly or at all is showing the exhaustion in the market. There are the outliers, like the micropuzzle coin, but that's a whole other thing.

12. barsenault

No need to milk it is right. I asked to be sure. I hope the sponsors know it's okay not to turn everything into a series. I think this one can stand on it's own, and be fine. Okay, it may not see crazy nose bleed prices today or tomorrow, but I think over the long-term it will do just fine. I've seen some of them sell for as a low as 220 in auction on eBay. That's what the market is willing to pay right now...and that's what it should have been priced when it came out, and then slowly increased in price as demand shot up. But, I can hear the naysayers, then someone would have bought a bunch and would have 'cornered the market.' Have we ever heard of 'one per household?' If the dealers did this when it first comes out, they'll know the demand...and could adjust prices accordingly...and lift the one per house hold limit? Anyway, I think it will be awhile for this to gain traction, because as you said, they shot themselves in the foot by going out too high...and collectors moved on...of course my opinions. :)

kutylin likes this.
  13. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

Yours and mine :)

14. barsenault

15. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

lol. Thanks, I'm good. I have and only need one. Besides, I'm trying to be a good Samaritan and let someone else grab one. Unlike you and I, there are obviously people that missed the boat and need to grow their appreciation for fine art :D

16. barsenault

Details are amazing!!

17. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

:) It's just one of those coins that no matter how good it looks in photos or videos, it looks so much better in hand.

barsenault likes this.
  18. barsenault

Absolutely 100% agree!!

19. Art in Coins

Art in Coins Active Member

Hope you and yours enjoyed a most Merry Christmas barsenault. A Happy New Year is just around the corner :)

20. barsenault

Hi Art Coins!! And a merry belated Christmas to you and your family! Happy New Year! May it be a good one for us in 2020