Buy more gold?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by aelmsu, Jul 18, 2019.

1. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's not just for fleeing borders. North Korea had a currency reform a decade ago where the currency is abolished and a new currency was introduced. However, the amount that each person can exchange for new currency is probably less than $100. North Koreans who had stashes of foreign currencies hidden at home became "millioniares" overnight.

If you think about the tens of millions or even hundreds of millions of RMB that some officials had stashed at home, it makes sense to simply cancel the currency. All the corrupted money will be wiped out instantly because it would be impossible to bring them to the bank to be exchanged with new currency.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveh...eas-economic-crisis-what-crisis/#1cc00614437a

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  2. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Obviously you are right, that is the way things work in the world, but suppose you suddenly appear with 100 ounces of gold at the airport bound for... let's say Vietnam.

You're up for a load of questioning, I think :D

Some people might have that much.

Second part: when arriving, you might have to pay some sort of customs tax. Most countries will charge you, I think.

3. TreasureHunter

In fact, many believe that Chinese and Russians are using Bitcoins and other cryptos to drain huge funds (millions of USD) from the USA.

Or, in this case: I suppose they are doing the same thing when leaving China. Probably to Singapore, Japan, 'Stralia...

madaw1 likes this.
  4. TreasureHunter

I think it's easier to move PM's between EU countries. I know that Germany allows you to go in and out... but I suppose 10 kg would raise eyebrows.

But what if you travel with 5 kg gold from Australia to India, will they just "let you through" :D

Normally you're allowed to take 10k USD across any border, but if you have more, you have to declare them.

Still, many people are being stopped at airports with kilograms of gold and I don't see where the problem is. If it's not stolen or part of some criminal activity, but merely personal possession, e.g. collected for retirement, then it should be OK.

5. TreasureHunter

Go for it now! Don't wait until January.

Don't buy at highs, true, but sometimes you don't know whether price will go higher or lower. So people keep waiting and try picking the bottom - to buy at the lows. And it's hard...

I advise you this: watch the oscillations and when it dips (significantly, like now): BUY. That way you buy during a dip. :D

So it's cheaper than before (because it just dropped). And that way you feel a bit good about yourself.

But if you keep waiting and waiting to pick "rock bottom", it might spike unexpectedly.

madaw1, wones and JS1880 like this.
  6. wones

wones Member

Thanks for the advice!

7. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My two cents....unless your about to drop 100k or so on gold, the price is relative. So what if you lose $100 on the ounce in the next few months. The upside is you could gain $1000 over the next five years on the ounce. So it's all about the purchase size. For the average Joe buying the grams here and there, dips don't even matter. Just buy what you can afford when you can afford it. If you're talking buying ten ounces at a time, then yesterday was better than today and today is better than tomorrow. The bottom is here and if it does continue to fall won't be much more than $50 an ounce. So you'll lose $500 on ten ounces. That's pennies relative to your $21k total and pennies to your upside of $3k an ounce or more.

Don't overthink your stacking. It's easy. Buy low premiums as often as you can and as much as you can afford and you won't go wrong. Only rich people need to worry about dips :cool::D

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

Oh and @wones, I'm not sure where you're located and how much you're planning to invest but if it is significant and you can get regularly to a bullion dealer, I would recommend buying 2 ounces of gold a day or if you can (and you trust) from here on the forum. All my gold has come from bullion dealers in this way and this way you don't need to declare your identity which may prove valuable upside in the future. But keep your receipts as well as they could also be valuable if you offload at a loss.

wones and 66rounds like this.
  9. wones

wones Member

Haha 2 ounces a day is not in my range at all as I just finished High School. Main aim now is to work as much as possible when uni starts so I may stack as much as possible

10. wones

wones Member

Alright cheers, will take your advice

11. wones

wones Member

Sounds good, cheers

12. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You're still young. My only advice is make sure you don't sell them, or get into a situation you need to sell them. Of course, if silver goes to the moon, it might be a good time to sell and buy stocks or get back in later.

13. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good advice. Don't over extend. Set a small weekly budget to stack with and stick to it. Make sure youre also saving cash and setting yourself a budget to spend out as well

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Gresham's Law, wones and JS1880 like this.
  14. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Yes, if they double in price, sell. Or better yet, sell half and free-carry the rest.
    If they "go the to the moon", say 5-10 times it means the entire economy has collapsed you'll probably be more worried about keeping or finding a job than stacking.
    Use any profits on your education and a side business, something that will reap dividends shoudl the job market go to the dogs.

15. wones

wones Member

Yeah just hoping I’ll be able to accumulate enough before the price does double...

66rounds likes this.
  16. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Everyone has a different style and different goals. I still have the first silver and gold I ever bought and every piece of gold I dig at my gold claim I keep. I'm saving everything I can at my age for the future.
    My son buys and sells daily on ebay and other places and he makes some side money with it and is into trading. He also is building a stack of his own and has things he wouldnt want to sell.
    I always tell him hes crazy for selling at these low prices and he just laughs, and he tells me he will sell some of mine whenever I want, then I laugh.
    We both do our own thing and have fun with it.
    Everyone has their own reasons and interests but the time is now.
    Dont stress over a few bucks either way!

sgbuyer and wones like this.
  17. TreasureHunter

2 oz gold a day? Are you serious?

That's 22+ kilos a year. Most people can't afford that.

Some are lucky to buy an ounce in 5 years. Others can merely buy 10 grams.

I suppose it was a joke.

2 oz a month is too much for most people. To many even 2 oz of silver is unaffordable.

I think a new buyer who just finished highschool should not buy on an forum, not from eBay or similar sources, but from a trusted LOCAL dealer shop, so that they can return the product in case something isn't like it should be.

That's not to say some should not buy on this forum, let's just say it's for the "advanced" gold bugs :D

18. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

Hahaha. The advice was more for someone looking to get some exposure real fast without details being recorded. Obviously this was not too apply every day of the year... but someone looking to invest $50k or $100k can do it relatively rapidly and in doing so, should not ignore the benefit of flying under the radar. o_O

silverhair, wones and 66rounds like this.
  19. wones

wones Member

For now I’ll be buying from local dealers, in the near future I’ll probably attend some SS gatherings. But yeah, most casual/part time jobs for ppl my age pay max $20-25 per hour, so atm just have to stay focused and buy what I can with what I have...

20. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That is quite an understatement. I would like to know a few people who could afford that. Heck I would like to be one of those people.

Well I guess that could be an ounce of silver per hour. Not so bad.

On a more serious note I think people have made many good points. Time is what you have on your side. If you bought an ounce of silver a day for the next 15 years you will have a mighty stack. 5475oz in 15 years. That’s about 176 kilos. Most people here would be very happy if their stack looked like that.
    If your around 18 today then 33 years old and a mighty stack of silver. Time is your strength. Use it well.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019