Secrets of Social Media: Manipulating the Democratic Process?

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by JulieW, Nov 10, 2019.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Extraordinary clip that covers the team who worked on the social media campaign for the Libs at last election, describing the use of an avalanche of memes to drive the Shorten-Tax message (with the best ever slogan "the Bill Australia can't afford").

Watch from 32 minutes in for the meat of the matter

Interesting also to view in the light of the distortion by the social media team of actual Labor policies - described in one of the YouTube comments as being "a social media firehose of attention-grabbing, emotion-manipulating lies".

As in many areas, social media and the internet have moved too fast for law. A blitz of memes giving a 1.7 second message, reducing arguments and policy to an emotional response is hardly producing an election result from a population that has considered policies, proposals and political stances and come to a considered voting position.

This may be the start of an argument against compulsory voting!

Silver260 and neonuke like this.
  2. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Social media isn’t doing it... people are?

Shaddam IV and wrcmad like this.
  3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Care to expand on that IPV? I'm not sure what the "it" is.

4. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We have come a long way (due to advancement in IT) from when a catchy tune was the centre of a campaign.

5. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It seems the term "manipulation" is now used loosely as a common phrase to describe anguish at something not going one's way.
    Whether it be silver price, or lefty vote count, it now merely insinuates foul play in a lame attempt to deflect blame.
    It makes my eyes glaze over.

IMHO, in this last election social media did not manipulated anything, but rather enlightened the masses. Enlightened them in a way that would not be possible if the job was left to idiots like Waleed and Grimshaw.

If the left want to cry about social media memes, then they shouldn't have written the book on it - they seem to have a very short memory in regards to the Mediscare campaign.

Rather than looking for any scapegoat possible, maybe they should look at their shit policies?

6. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. IanPayne

IanPayne New Member

We get all the news from social media, so it has a huge impact on people.

8. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tik Tok, if you can not control it, then banned it for national security reason
    social media
    if they are not paying in USD, then banned it... that is WeChat
    in 44 days we will see how that decree being ignored by the social media users

9. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

I’m going to watch the clip tomorrow. My thoughts before hand are that when you purposely don’t explain your policies and what they cost. Hoping you can come to power on the back of the oppositions weakness, then do what ever you want later claiming you have a mandate, then you deserve every bit of manipulation you get.

10. alor

11. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

to the OPs example, thats not really Manipulation, they used social media like the labor party did also, Just go look at labors facebook, they to have memes and have for years.
    the Libs have been behind for years with social media and labor in the past had been much better at their social media campaigns and Was definitely a strength of Labors.
    Now Labor are upset that a social media campaign by the other side was better than theirs and they have been dethroned as the kings of it?
    Kevin Rudd with the Help of Bruce Hawker was the first guy in Aus politics to run a hard Social Media campaigns which caught the Libs off guard and Labor had been the best at it ever since.
    Its not cheating IMO by either side. as long as both sides get to have their say on the same platform.
    Mediscare memes, Mad Monk Memes ok? but "The bill we cant afford" Isnt ok?
    who gives a shit, both sides use social media, some campaigns are just better than others.
    this is the age of tech and if your not using it then you lose. Get with the times as labor did in 07.

TikTok on the other hand, is Chinese government shit which should be banned right now.
    foreign interference is of real concern, troll farms and so on are something we need to look at stopping. that is real Manipulation and is done a very insidious way.
    calling manipulation falsely overshadows real manipulation.

PS Labour should never argue against mandatory voting, Lefties have been notorious for many years for not turning up to vote, It would benefit the Libs greatly if voting was not mandatory.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Oddjob likes this.
  12. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Modern Manipulation Theory?

wrcmad likes this.
  13. alor

US is following the way of India, joining its third world leader

14. alor

taking over the world day, via social media, successfully achieved 2020
    if Trump try to ban furry, just give him a scratch everyone !!!

[​IMG]

15. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

Ok so watched from 32 onwards.

Honestly, what voting population could be said to have considered voting position? Like name one? There’s that much misinformation out there on any policy, especially when it comes to economics and taxation that the average person doesn’t have the time to dig deeply into the issue far enough to sift through the chaff. A political campaigns job is to dig into the crux of all of it and bring to the front what it boils down to for enough people to swing the vote.

In the last election there was some major major sticking points for Australians on a few Labor policies that had massive implications for a massive chunk of the voting demographic bell curve. The coalition brought that to the front and stuck to it. Labor wouldn’t even answer the questions on most of it. Every time Bill Shorten was on camera a journo would ask him to cost his policies and like the slippery Gypsy he is, he dodged and weaved and refused to do so. Why? Because if he was honest with the population he knew he was dead in the water. If he put a $ figure on his climate change policy he would have been hammered from pillar to post.

Australians that voted for him not knowing the specifics of half of his stances were stupid to do so and it could be said that they were the worst off in terms of not having a “considered voting position”.

It was an arrogance of only the height of Hillary Clinton and her “deplorable” comments that could be compared to. Bill thought he could get through just on the back of Liberal back stabbing and didn’t need to be upfront with the population. For the liberals not to ride this all the way to the election would have been criminally incompetent of their campaign.

wrcmad likes this.
  16. IanPayne

IanPayne New Member

Well, I don't use Tiktok, so I don't know about all the latest news related to it. I've only watched a few Tiktok videos and I can tell that it's not for me. Anyway, thanks for your comments, I was interested to read them. As for me, I prefer Instagram. I like Antique items, so I make posts about Antiques. When I travel, I visit various flea markets and find amazing products that I share on my page. But I admit that I don't have enough likes, so I found an opportunity to buy real Instagram likes. If you know something about this please give me some recommendations. I want to know how this will affect my page. Thank you in advance.