When Food Goes 'Bad' - Lifestyle Regulation Madness Video #6

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by yennus, Nov 3, 2016.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When Food Goes 'Bad' - Lifestyle Regulation Madness Video #6 Topher Field

Topher looks at the future of Nanny State and lifestyle regulation in this video about food... and discovers the long history of regulators getting it wrong about food health.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmdzpnb0xN8[/youtube]

raven likes this.
  2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

One useful guideline that I can think of when it comes to selecting which food is good to eat is:

If something isn’t very nice to eat when it’s cold you probably shouldn’t eat it when it’s hot.

madaw1 likes this.
  3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's a good maxim.

Since Pizza is included in that definition it suits me. :D

Shaddam IV likes this.
  4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was thinking of hot chips and potato cakes!

66rounds likes this.
  5. JulieW

Uurrggghh.

6. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cold hotdogs / cocktail franks......lips and ar$eholes taste bad no matter what.

Sadly I love cold pizza and are not adverse to cold chips and potato scallops (provided they are soaked in salt and vinegar).

7. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

In the back of this Video we have got Mr.Mc Donalds. This is the food which we should avoid at all cost. On one hand they trying to regulate and put restriction on the food we are eating ,on the other the promoting Mc Donalds food. What the rubbish.

66rounds likes this.
  8. oziwassabi

oziwassabi Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Another one which gets thrown around is;
    "Dont eat anything your grandmother (or great grandmother depending on your age) wouldnt recognise as food "
    Usefull in this age of over processed food!

JulieW, Oddjob and Shaddam IV like this.
  9. Oddjob

Rule of thumb....don't consume anything that has ingredients you don't recognise / know what it is. Example: butylated hydroxytoluene

kilo, oziwassabi and Shaddam IV like this.
  10. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Don't eat anything that has any numbers in it like 123 , 347 etc.That's processed food!

Shaddam IV likes this.
  11. JulieW

I've been a semi-fanatical "clean" food consumer for decades. Overall it's probably doubled my food expenditures since I enthusiastically read labels, discarding anything that I don't recognise, or is from a blacklist of origins. e.g. Asia grown, Pacific harvested fish, etc - actually one advantage of the EU is their stringent food regulations so even here in Oz, I buy a fairly extensive range of EU food.

You have to keep your eyes open regarding origin as much as ingredients. Food labelling in Australia has resisted common sense and is a quagmire of misleading phrases and numbers. Lobbying by the food industry has not raised my confidence in "Australian Made", considering the sleight of hand used to dupe consumers.

Considering the poisons, herbicides, insecticides used in the growing processes. plus the various treatments to improve the marketability of some food (colouring agents etc, etc) label reading is a good habit to get into.

A good example is the Capilano honey story. Worth a read as a salutary lesson on profits over public health.

1. Regulations and "honey".

https://10daily.com.au/news/austral...whether-your-honey-is-actually-honey-20181117

2. Trickery disguised with labels and regulations.
    https://kangaroocourtofaustralia.co...ew-fake-poisonous-honey-scam-with-woolworths/

For reference:

[​IMG]

Read what this image means.

https://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/2018/06/23/woolworths-organic-food-scam/

12. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Capilano honey is a one of similar thousand products which are these days in Supermarkets ready to purchased by unaware consumer. Certified organic or made in Australia means nothing these days.It is a lot manipulation on labels,fakes wordings in order to sell these food/toxins/. When we became sick pharmaceutical companies are very happy as they can sell more toxins to us and make solid profit. We have to raise our awareness to higher level to be able to live healthy life.

JulieW and Shaddam IV like this.
  13. JulieW

And this is an appalling state of affairs.

Another bee in my bonnet is the sale of proven toxic and carcinogenic foodstuffs - a case where public health should come to the fore.

It is proven that vegetable oils interact with plastics to create carcinogenic compounds. Which means that if you use oil contained in plastic bottles, you are putting cancer causing agents in your body.

It is proven that nitrates in bacon, when heated (as in cooking) convert to nitrites which cause cancer. No problem selling the cancer causing versions of bacon here though.

The list goes on.

I learned a hard lesson one summer when I was poisoned by a punnet of strawberries. It seems that strawberries, raspberries etc are some of the highest herbicide and pesticide recipients, which means that if you fail to wash them thoroughly, you'll be having a good dose of toxic chemicals. Washing at least removes a large proportion of poison. Well I ate an unwashed punnet of strawberries with a friend and we both ended up with rashes and hives from our little indulgence. Caught out by fresh fruit. A valuable lesson!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    madaw1 likes this.
  14. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

But who is teaching people these days elementary chemistry? No one. As long as people have sausage at Bunnings and Footy on Sunday they are happy-till they are sick. Very sad but true.

15. JulieW

One has to be very careful with fast/convenience food. If it's cheap then it's cheap ingredients and nutrition is low and pollution is high!

On the road, at service stops on the Hume, I go to the Olivers counter. $20 at Olivers will cost $10 at McDonalds, and the quality difference is obvious. But I'd rather green beans than fries any day - let alone considering what comprises those fries!!!

madaw1 likes this.
  16. Oddjob

One week it's "red meat bad"...next week "red meat good"....or "high carb diet diet" is the next in thing as opposed to a "high protein diet"....and the list goes on and you have read / seen it all before.

For me, apart from knowing what goes into what I eat, it's also (to a point) how many steps / processes from harvesting to consumption.....the fewer times something has been touched by anything other than a knife, the better plus if it says "diet" on the label, forget it.....BUT

Life is about balance including diet and I refuse to live like a Trappist Monk and forgo some of life's more enjoyable food products which don't rightly fit into my view above ie Burger Rings, smoked ham etc. I'd rather enjoy those bad foods in some limited sense as part of a balance diet / existence and forgo a few years at the end of my life, than be a grains and greens grazer only. Now where are the double choc cherry TimTam's????

oziwassabi and JOHNLGALT like this.
  17. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

i laugh at the "no added hormones" claim that woolies and coles come up with. of course YOU don't add hormones, that's done when they are still alive.

madaw1 and 66rounds like this.
  18. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

On the same subject-you can buy chicken in Woolies, cost you more because they are RSPCA approved .What's the hell is that? Does it mean that these chicken are better or worse than those not approved by RSPCA? RSPCA should be looking for animals affairs not approve killing.

66rounds likes this.
  19. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Means the chicken gets an extra zap before it gets killed....seems more inhumane to me than letting it die by whatever method....its not like theyre drowning the chooks in a pond and torturing them. Why all the extra hassle for the bird before it ends up on our plate?

20. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

"Now where are the double choc cherry TimTam's????"
    I grabbed 16 packets for 99c. each pkt. when they were in the cheap section because they had gone past the best before (expired) date.
    Also, there were the chewy caramel (10 pkts.).
    p.s. I had to eat them quickly before they went off.
    WINK..JPG

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    yuripuka and Oddjob like this.