Trump's trade war with China

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by willrocks, Aug 23, 2019.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Probably not what I had in mind :p

I was referring to more of a cultural change like what happened in the West a few centuries ago.

It’s got to happen in the Muslim world or they’ll get exterminated. I think much of Asian society is long overdue for its reformation. Property rights, castes, ethnic hostilities. I’m not saying a reformation will rid Asia of its problems, but it’ll go a long way to loosening up what many of us in western societies see as a fixation with authority, power and red tape present in many Asian countries.

2. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally, I believe that the change in mindset will start only when Gen Z take complete political power, which is 40-50 years from now. Maybe 2060-2070. As long as the mindset in mainland Asia is stuck in the feudal era, the anglo-saxans (US, UK and commonwealth) will remain the paramount power.

Total change will come when Gen Alpha (after Gen Z), the babies today take control. These people will have nothing of emperors and authority. You can see from their behaviour even at the very young age. By the time the babies of today grow up and take power in their 50s, the current generation of people in power (40s and older) will be either dead or too old to have any influence.

It will be an Asian century (2060-2070 onwards) but only for the extremely young today. If you have babies, it's good to get them to learn hindi and chinese.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    mmm....shiney! likes this.
  4. alor

5. mrsilverservice

mrsilverservice Well-Known Member

The contempt and total arrogance of Man thinking that he is God :rolleyes: that is why God will find it easy sending man to a Christ less eternity called Hell :confused:

-

The Book of 2nd Peter Chapter 3 verse 10

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night,in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise,and the elements with melt with fervent heat,both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up :)

6. mmm....shiney!

I think you might be right there. Reformations release power, talent and progress that are otherwise bound and held in place by old traditions or societal structures that benefit an elite mostly.

7. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Any God that would send a human after death to eternal damnation because they held what turned out to be an incorrect religious belief would not be a "good" God to follow. That God would be quite evil, petty and egotistical it sounds to me.

It always confounded me how some Christians will say that no matter what you do in your life (murder people, commit heinous acts, etc) you can be forgiven by simply asking Jesus and will go to "heaven". But you can be a great person living a good life harming no one, but not be a Christian (by choice), and will go to "hell" because you made the wrong choice about religion. If that is the "God" we are dealing with, I want no part.

I actually don't think "God" is anything like that by the way. I believe that many folks misinterpret the bible to such extent I would bet what they say is nothing like what was intended by the original "author(s)".

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  8. Davros10

Davros10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

But it saves so much time and effort in not having to think for yourself, or having to take personal responsibility for your bigoted thoughts and actions.

66rounds and mmm....shiney! like this.
  9. mrsilverservice

mrsilverservice Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments :D

-

Psalm 14 verse 1

A fool has said in his heart there is no God :rolleyes:

10. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Any religion that breeds pedophilia and lies, no thanks for me!
    I love the hell outta kids but not like they do.

11. alor

66rounds likes this.
  12. mmm....shiney!

Pork sales, lol. Brer Rabbit tricked Fox into throwing him into the briar patch.

It’ll make Trump look good despite the clever plan.

66rounds likes this.
  13. alor

14. sgbuyer

15. alor

16. sgbuyer

A repeat of 2018? I can't imagine any negotiation take so long. If both parties are serious, it will be concluded within 3 days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China–United_States_trade_war
    • November 10, 2018 - White House National Trade Council director Peter Navarro alleged that a group of Wall Street billionaires are conducting an influence operation on behalf of the Chinese government by weakening the president and the U.S. negotiating position, and urged them to invest in the rust belt.[121][122]
    • November 30: President Trump signed the revised U.S.–Mexico–Canada Agreement in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The USMCA contains an article 32.10 which aims at preventing any non-market economy, especially China, from taking advantage of the agreement.[123][124][125] Jorge Guajardo, former Mexican ambassador to China said "One thing the Chinese have had to acknowledge is that it wasn't a Trump issue; it was a world issue. Everybody's tired of the way China games the trading system and makes promises that never amount to anything."[126]
    • December 1: The planned increases in tariffs were postponed. The White House stated that both parties will "immediately begin negotiations on structural changes with respect to forced technology transfer, intellectual property protection, non-tariff barriers, cyber intrusions and cyber theft."[127][128] According to the Trump Administration, "If at the end of [90 days], the parties are unable to reach an agreement, the 10 percent tariffs will be raised to 25 percent."[129][130] The U.S. trade representative's office confirmed the hard deadline for China's structural changes is March 1, 2019.[131][132]
    • December 4: New York Fed president John Williams said that he believed the US economy will stay strong in 2019.[133] Williams expects that increases in the interest rates will be necessary to maintain the economy. He stated, “Given this outlook of strong growth, strong labor market and inflation near our goal and taking account all the various risks around the outlook, I do expect further gradual increases in interest rates will best sponsor a sustained economic expansion."[133]
    • December 11: Trump announced China was buying a “tremendous amount” of U.S. soybeans. Commodities traders saw no evidence of such purchases, and over the next six months soybean exports to China were about one quarter what they were in 2017, before the trade conflict began.[134] China reportedly considered purchases of American farm goods as contingent upon closing a comprehensive trade deal.[135]

17. sgbuyer

66rounds likes this.
  18. sgbuyer

Alibaba's huge $19 billion IPO in HK is very strange, especially the urgency in face of the unstable situation in HK.

https://www.businessinsider.sg/alib...ad-the-ceos-full-letter-to-interested-buyers/

As an ex-shareholder who sold out more than a year ago, I've been reading nothing but good news from this company since with every single forecast broken, and the company supposedly has $33 billion in cash and only $21 billion in debt. If your franchise is so lucrative, why would you be selling and diluting your shares? Shouldn't you be buying back shares instead?

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Ch...listing-in-Hong-Kong-if-it-doesn-t-need-money

Meanwhile..
    https://www.straitstimes.com/busine...-off-event-for-mega-hong-kong-ipo-amid-unrest

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    66rounds likes this.
  19. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

^^
    Jack Ma bought majority of the IPO

66rounds likes this.
  20. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

My take:

1. of course they have to say "the economy is doing well" - Yellen perhaps even surpassed Bernanke with her speeach

"we have confidence in the robustness of the economy and its resilience to shocks" - Janet Yellen :D

"Robustness", "resilience to shocks" - why don't they tell us what these SHOCKS actually are? (like the erosion of the petrodollar system, the fact that many countries are getting rid of the US dollar, the lower productivity rate, the slowing down of the economy, the HUGE debt...?)

The US economy must be the "Rambo of economies" :D

This attitude only proves the vulnerability of the US economy.

2. China has been doing business with the US and so was the US with China, so why accuse them of "rip-off"?

Cheap Chinese products have benefited hundreds, probably thousands of US- and multinational companies. Economies of scale, lower labor costs, large amount of work force...?

What certainly is a major problem for the US is that they've exported so much knowledge and entire industries to China. The US barely knows how to make shoes, while China now has a highly skilled labor force.

Of course they want to make deals, because the're more oriented towards the win-win (game theory) approach, while the US (similarly to western Europe) is a pride-oriented nation, sacrificing their own benefits for the sake of "winning" (if you know the Charlie Sheen song):

The US/EU will not be able to drag China down. China is swallowing Africa and extending into Latin America as well.

How I see it is that the western powers are losing strength and the "colonial mentality" is not working anymore. India and China are emerging.

Check out this book - I have it: :)

[​IMG]

It is happening, regardless whether some people like it or not. Regardless whether it's democratic or not. The west is losing terrain.

Without constructive dialog and partnerships, greedy aggressive nationalism doesn't lead to anything good.

Another observation: while the US is trying to slow China down, the latter is developing deeper relations with European countries (not just through the "Belt and Road" initiative, but also other deals: like stimulating tourism towards Europe, investing in local factories/production facilities). It will be very hard for the US to "isolate" China. In fact, it might "backfire". The "boomerang effect" is hitting western economies due to their "colonial" arrogant mentality.

3. I think the USA is not going to be the world's "piggy bank" in the future, mainly due to the emerging multipolar world (no-one will be "THE" piggybank)

In fact, countries like Singapore, Switzerland will most likely gain even more strength financially in the future. Neutrality, thriving small economies will be less vulnerable, they will continue to exploit their regional position in their favor.

bubblebobble2 likes this.