Looking for a realistic sale price on 1kg Bars now?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ultimacash, Sep 12, 2019.

1. ultimacash

ultimacash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi all I haven't been active in the buying or selling market lately and would like to know what price over spot if any on lets say a Perth mint 1kg bar would go for these days?

JOHNLGALT likes this.
  2. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You might need to be a bit more specific on the type of bar. A older bar just got listed for $2550 I think. Clearly a big range depending on what Perth mint bar exactly.

ultimacash likes this.
  3. ultimacash

Okay will look into it but i'm thinking low premium bars. Would they go for spot or anything over?

4. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In seeing recent sales here I would say 0%-7% over spot

ultimacash likes this.
  5. Grizzly

Grizzly Active Member

Have a look at what the well known online retailers are selling 1 kg bars for. When I am buying on the forum I always price check against the online retailers because why would I risk buying from a member I don't know when I can buy from a registered business for the same or better price. For me, the forum price has to be lower or I just buy from the retailers. Not sure if everybody has the same approach.

I just found a Perth Mint 1kg for $913.50 and a PAMP 1 kg for $919. Both plus shipping.

sctpc and ultimacash like this.
  6. mongrelmaple

mongrelmaple Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Generally speaking, forum members won’t sell things like 1kg bars at the prices bullion retailers do, simply because we don’t appreciate paying unnecessary premiums for standard bullion. As a guide, and I speak for myself here, I’ll set my price at the middle ground between whatever spot price is, and what the dealers are charging. That way, both buyer and seller get a good deal.

The only risk in buying from members here, is if you buy from members with negative feedback, or brand new members with no history and you make the mistake of not having them send you the order before payment in order for you to verify their legitimacy. You should never have any problems with members here who have a proven trader history, that’s a cornerstone of the forum. And we all take our reputations here seriously.

Jason1, GF, openeyes and 4 others like this.
  7. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

upload_2019-9-13_1-52-34.png

ultimacash likes this.
  8. ultimacash

Thanks for the responce everyone I appreciate it

9. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

Sold 2 two days ago, lock in a price. This is the sales price from them now, not the buy quote. Prices fluctuate of course.

BULLION NOW SPOT PRICE 1 Kg.jpg

66rounds likes this.
  10. Grizzly

Grizzly Active Member

Yep, that was exactly my point. Do a price check, and expect a lower price here.

The price check is important, sometimes I see people post items for sale at prices higher than I can buy from the standard retailers. I just shake my head and then don't trust any of their other sales posts.

Jason1 likes this.
  11. kilo

kilo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi all, after a lot of searching I haven't been able to find any comparison to set a realistic asking price for this bar. Any advice on a price would be appreciated.

FullSizeRender.jpg

12. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

I've never really understood the collectible nature of bars like this?
    Bars = spot IMO.

13. monopolize

monopolize Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe check with Bigfella. He's the man with these.

Pendragon and kilo like this.
  14. kilo

I can see your point. thought similar at one stage, when I came to realise some bars where produced by hand and in such small numbers that changed a bit. Collecting unique bars is no different to numi coins really. I suppose it's like collecting anything, some see value and others do not. Some collect and some don't.

15. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

yer im the same with bars, just looks like another lump of old silver to me.
    And I mainly buy bars, Dont give a crap what they look like either.

16. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

yup cos if they sell for spot the seller is getting a win because not many dealers pay spot let alone more than spot even for premium stuff, and the buyer gets them at spot or very close too so every one wins this way.
    I never understood why a private seller would ask more than a dealer or even the same premiums as a dealer, if you want to pay a premium as a buyer then you would buy from a dealer.

17. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's a JM London "ROOD bar" on all engelhard, estimated mintage <100.
    One on Worthpoint: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/kilo-silver-johnson-matthey-london-720683825

Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hancocks_&_Co:
    S.J. Rood was established in London’s Burlington Arcade in 1873 and operated independently until they were acquired by Hancocks in 1998. Hancocks then took over the Rood premises in Burlington Arcade from where they remain trading today.

S.J.Rood was established by the Allen family who were diamond merchants in addition to their primary role as jewellery manufacturers and retailers to the rich and famous. From 1900 onwards the firm enjoyed great success with affluent Londoners and was awarded the Royal Warrant by Queen Mary, wife of George V, who reigned from 1910 until 1936 (and was then Queen Mother from 1936 until her death in 1952).

Queen Mary was an excellent customer and commissioned many pieces with S.J.Rood, both for herself and as gifts for others. Many of these pieces now sell for hefty premiums when they (all too rarely) come onto the open market.

S.J.Rood are perhaps most famously known as the manufacturers of the historic “For.....” series of rings which were created for Her Majesty Queen Mary and which were presented to her ladies-in-waiting on the occasion of their engagement. At least twelve rings are known to have been presented between 1918 and 1952. As Queen Mary was of German descent, her staff were a mixture of English and German ladies. As a consequence, many of the “For.....” rings are now located in either London or Bavaria.

kilo likes this.
  18. kilo

Thanks Jultorsk, I did find some basic stuff on Rood re hallmarks etc but never thought to check Wikipedia, Sounds like they ran a fair sort of show!
    Didn't come across the worthpoint page but did shoot an email with a couple of photos to engelhard, interested to see what they say.

jultorsk likes this.