What percentage of your portfolio is in metals?

Discussion in 'Wealth Creation & Management' started by SlyGuy, Nov 8, 2018.

?

What percentage of your portfolio is in metals?

1. None 0%

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. 1-2%

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. 3-5%

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. 6-10%

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. 11-15%

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. 16-25%

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  7. 26-50%

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  8. over 50%

19 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I havent stopped buying when I can, mostly silver.
    In my opinion metals are undervalued and the cheapest right now compared to everything else in huge fake bubbles. I dont know where else I'd put it.
    A large majority of my income goes to my mortgage every month and about fifteen more payments on that and I'm done. Paid off early with minimal interest. It will be nice to free up the cash again.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    SlyGuy, GreatSouthernTime and sgbuyer like this.
  2. GreatSouthernTime

GreatSouthernTime Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That’s great mate. Minimal debt and a home to secure your life. Congrats.

3. Cind3r

Cind3r Active Member Silver Stacker

My savings portfolio is more than 50% in metal now.
    For more granularity the portion of my metal portfolio is as follows (% by value):

Gold: 70.01%
    Silver: 27.62%
    Platinum: 0.32%
    Copper: 1.85%
    Nickel: 0.2%

Other metals stacked (in usable form) but are not counted as investment are my Titanium rods (2mm x 1m) Its Grade 2 so 99.2% pure min. I have 11kg + 1kg in the form of chainmail.

GreatSouthernTime and sgbuyer like this.
  4. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Yep, I'm still under 10% PM (and probably always will be), but roughly 50/50 gold/silver but now and heading to the opposite ratio of you with gold >>> silver. Silver is just bulky, hard to move physically, and harder to liquidate after awhile. Gold is much easier for me; I'd imagine you'll get to that point soon.

I don't do big bars (or small ones)... I find govt coins to be recognizable, able to be bought very near spot, and much easier to liquidate when I've tried to take advantage of price spikes. You can only have so many shoeboxes full of silver bullion that needs to be moved or hauled to the coin shop before you decide that enough is enough, lol. These days, I really only buy a few 1oz pieces of silver to have the current year ASE, maple, brit, etc now... might buy a few rolls if price dips drastically like it did early last year. Other than that, I'm buying AGE and sovs. Like any of my investment types, I'm always ready to sell most or even all of my PM if the price is right or a much better opportunity comes up. :cool:

oziwassabi likes this.
  5. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Haven't seen Piroccco in ages. Is he still around?

6. TreasureHunter

You are probably joking, but since you mentioned Titanium... it's a rather cheap metal. Forget Titanium, forget Nickel. It's almost as cheap as Iron.
    You'd better go for Copper. I think Copper is the closest one to Silver.

Would you stack anything else besides that? Like Tungsten, Molybdenum, Tantalum?

I suppose they're cheap as well, but just fantasy metals.

7. JohnnyBravo300

My lcs has alot of gold for sale right now but not much silver at all.
    I'm waiting for the ratios to close so I can switch my silver out for gold.

sgbuyer and 66rounds like this.
  8. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I read about the shortage of low premium silver bullion in the US. Someone said it's because republic metals closed shop. Gold hasn't been that popular in the US recently, looking at the AGE sales, at least for the man on the street, not referring to the billionaires that buy mines and gld. On reddit pmforsale, gold coins going for $40 below spot but no takers...

66rounds likes this.
  9. JohnnyBravo300

It's probably just a natural reaction to the price moves. People are waiting to see what gold is doing and buying the cheaper silver instead.
    Watching the prices is ingrained into human DNA now haha.

sgbuyer likes this.
  10. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

There currently is no shortage of silver in the US, at least at the wholesale/retail levels. The best barometer of silver supply in the US are the wholesale premiums. Right now, those premiums are really cheap compared to prices over the past 5 or more years.

Just because someone's local store doesn't have silver in stock doesn't mean there is a shortage of silver. It means that store's proprietor didn't order any and/or isn't buying enough over the counter.

Junk silver is still less than $1 over melt per oz of pure silver here. Generic rounds are less than $1 over melt. If supply was really down, those numbers would be way up. I've seen junk silver premiums get higher than ASE premiums when supply gets really low due to sudden increased demand.

In past bull markets in gold/silver, gold always starts out hotter and silver catches up and exceeds the percentage gains in gold. The same thing happens with losses when the bear market is running. That's how we see the gold/silver ratio go from a low 32 in 2011 (when PMs were rising) to 80 plus in past year or so when prices are at or near the bottom of their ranges.

sgbuyer likes this.
  11. TreasureHunter

This is causing a mass-madness: they're all getting in. It's like Bitcoin. Look, it's just under 1,550 $. If it keeps going like this, we'll hit 1,600 $ in 3 days!

mongrelmaple and JohnnyBravo300 like this.
  12. JohnnyBravo300

Yeah $1600 usd isnt far off and silver could cross the $20 anytime now and we haven't seen anything yet.
    This is one reason why I'm all in right now. Might as well ride it for all it's worth.

13. mongrelmaple

mongrelmaple Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just wait until the main stream media start mentioning that silver is up nearly 40% in a year, and gold is also very strong.

Once people get the attitude that precious metals are an “archaic relic” out of their heads, and actually see the value of them, there’ll be a serous flood of new buyers into the market!

sgbuyer likes this.
  14. TreasureHunter

Greed drives the market. Then, when it's down, it's fear that shakes it.

15. Tennessee

Tennessee Member

My percentages may be different than most. That said, I've been buying silver and gold for a long time. The percentages are not fixed as they vary from time to time due to increases in value of one or another asset class.

10% cash. I'm able to take advantage of extraordinary opportunities. Also there are times when cash is king like in disasters or a depression.
    15% gold. Gold has been historically use as preservation of wealth. Should circumstances require, I would have the means to start over again.
    5% silver. Should a SHTF occur, silver could be a means of exchange for day to day items. Gold would be good for large asset acquisitions.
    40% multifamily real estate. This is the income producing part of my portfolio.
    30% stocks. This is the growth part of my portfolio.

AgStalker, Silver260, sgbuyer and 2 others like this.
  16. Tennessee

Tennessee Member

I've noticed one thing over the years. People work more or less 45 years to make money. But rarely, if ever, read a book on how to make that money grow.

Rather than pursue silver directly, I keep silver as a percentage of wealth growth. I pursue wealth first, silver takes care of itself.