storing kilo, 50 or 100 oz bars

Discussion in 'Silver' started by pug, Apr 13, 2019.

1. pug

pug Member

Lately I'm considering investing in larger bar sizes because the premiums over spot on smaller sizes are too damn high.... close to 10%+.

Any thoughts on storage for an long term investment in these larger size bars? Book ends? Boat ballast?
    Dig a hole in the garden? =D

Safety deposit boxes can store a large $$$ investment in gold bullion but in comparison won't hold as much dollar-volume in silver bullion.

If storing a dozen of these bars at home, what's the best way to protect against theft or house fire?

2. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^^^^^
    In the ground, and from bunnings, or any other fine, large hardware store, which you may have in your area.
    You're welcome :)

4. Pr176

Pr176 Active Member

100 mm pvc plumbing pipe can use smaller,cap one end other end attach a screw on inspection fitting ( check on the roof rack of tradesman vans)

5. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bury them in your garden ONLY if no one knows your stacking because someone using a $100 metal detector can easily and quickly find them at night if word gets out your stacking.

Using safety deposit boxes to only store silver is not that expensive. It depends what one considers as expensive. Also, you can store a lot of silver in a SDB as long as you avoid using lots of coins and odd shapes. I've got a large one at Guardin Vaults and I pack it real good! :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Gullintanni and swoydaz like this.
  6. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The point of the PVC pipe above is to get the metal down deep, below the range of metal detectors.

7. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm doing the opposite of what you're doing. I started off with 100oz bars a year ago because the premiums are lower, but as prices fell, I realise that it's silly stacking big bars because prices are going to fall and rise anyway and the difference in premium might not matter so much in the longer run.

Along the way, I've also managed to buy on sale 5-10 ounce bars for relatively lower premium 5-7% which I've overbought as I intend to sell off some of the 100oz as soon as AG prices recover. On storage, the smaller bars can also be stacked in the same manner as the 10oz bars but you need to put them in zip lock bags in batches of 5 or 10 pieces, and secure them so they won't fall over when you shift them around your safe.

8. Pr176

Pr176 Active Member

Can add a decent few bits of scrap above the pipe also.Can be set up as a fake sewer pipe under the house, depending on how much effort you want to put in
    Two choices .
    Think like a pirate or
    Pay for storage

9. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Put them in the freezer. You rarely hear of crooks stealing a fridge, chest freezer or the contents of the a freezer. Bonus, they also act like ice bricks if the power goes off.

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Paint them black and use them as door stops or paper weights.

Sprinkle nails around a burial site to annoy detectorists and fool the cheap ones with no discrimination.

Bury tubes end first so they have a smaller profile and be aware that if the ground is wet they will be buoyant and most likely start to rise upwards if not held down well.

11. Oddjob

If you have a backyard, buy a nasty big dog and bury the PM's under the dog house. Chances of a thief wanting to tangle with a snarling large dog.....low.

12. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

buy a cheap sae and put bricjs in it.. then stash your silver elsewhere... 100000% theif will do anything to get a 'heaavy' safe out of the house.

harry_mr and Silver260 like this.
  13. Silver260

Silver260 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I can confirm this. And in hindsight it was a funny story.

Come home from holidays to find our house ransacked, and I mean ransacked. Every thing opened and turned over .But nothing significant missing. . WTF... Police are looking at us like we're drug dealers, thinking that's what they wanted. Fast forward two years and we're moving house.....go to get the gun safe ( hand guns) I'd bought, but never used ( and forgotten about hidden at the bottom of a built in cupboard ) ..... And it's gone !!!. They must have been looking for the keys....bloody thing weighed 80kg empty. Still chuckle about that.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  14. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

Don't do the bookshelf thing, it has been done to death. Store them in a fake first aid kit, tackle boxes, large thermos-style jugs for camping, that kind of stuff.

Best case is bolt down a fireproof safe and call it all good. On the cheap, the best bet is toget inventive.

I personally think that 10oz stacker bars are the easiest to squirrel, but I see the merit in kilo bars for their low premium. A mic of both may be best.

15. Oddjob

Slip some silver in a pack of these....no thief going to touch this.

[​IMG]

Antalon and Silver260 like this.
  16. sctpc

sctpc Active Member

I have racking and the shelf is about 100mm up from the floor, you have to remove lots of stuff to be able to lift the shelf. also as a kid my parents had a gap between the shower and sink that you could remove with 2 screws they used it like a safe. most furniture has a 80mm gap off the floor or you could put a shelf above the ducted heating return filter. just look around 1 kg or 100oz bar can be put in lots of different locations.

17. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buzz!

GF likes this.
  18. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't hide them in old pairs of shoes, they have a nasty habit of discolouring.

19. sctpc

sctpc Active Member

20. Oddjob

Could always gut an old larger power board, but keep the cord for looks. Should be able to get some small / medium sized bars in one. Also, not a hot item for thieves.