Suggestions on selling an old stamp collection?

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Ageless, Jan 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ageless

Ageless Member Silver Stacker

Hello all,

I have been asked to assist to sell my great grand fathers stamp collection.

It includes an extensive collection of Malay states, Indian states, British colonies in Africa, and Brunei stamps dating back to Victorian times. Also a good collection of early Australian states, including one Queensland sixpence stamp (which i'm told is rare).

Also including some WW2 Malay states Japanese occupation stamps which look interesting (at lest to me, though not sure how rare they are), some full sheets of those.

I would like some suggestions or ideas on selling this collection. Maybe someone knows of a forum like this one but for stamps? Or a reputable, and honest dealer they can recommend? (went to a dealer already who was a crook, should have checked his google reviews first as it says as much there)

Obviously eBay is an option. So just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Ageless

3. Ageless

Ok, I understand. Thank you for the feedback.

Included the above couple of pics to see if there is any interest here. Might upload some more over the next week.

4. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I know nothing about stamps, but a quick google suggests that you get them valued by a dealer, and apparently dealers listed on this site are legit and value them fairly

http://www.apta.com.au/

Once you have them valued, then I guess you find a dealer to buy them. I imagine doing this through a dealer would be much easier than doing it privately, even if it means you get a little less

Ageless likes this.
  5. Ageless

Right, I did find that above link on google too. I agree with your points. It sounds like the best way to go to me too.
    I guess there is no stamp stacker forum out there!

6. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

May I suggest if you happen to live in Sydney give David a call at Town Hall Coins & Collectables or call in with the stamps to see him as I understand he also has knowledge of stamps

Could be worth a try

Ageless likes this.
  7. Ageless

Some more pics. There appears to be an Andrew Jackson stamp! Nice! Google says it's from the late 1860's. Also possibly some Weimar Republic stamps? One that is 100,000 marks from 1923.

3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

8. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Does your great grandfather need to sell it to fund something?

If it is so that he can divide the proceed to leave cash as inheritance, I’d suggest after getting it valued and if the collection isn’t worth much today, the family get together and consider keeping the collection for another 40 years and see what it is worth than.

Ageless and Shaddam IV like this.
  9. Ageless

The family members that inherited them are looking to sell and split the proceeds. I am not a beneficiary just a relative assisting in the sale (and I know nothing about stamps).

There is just so many stamps they weren’t sure where to begin, hence they’ve been in storage for 15+ years. The images in this thread are only a snap shot of the collection.

Apprecite your suggestion. I hadn’t really thought about that. However after thinking about it I’d likely be interested to buy some of the items from the collection that are associated with events that are of personal interest and of historical significance.

I doubt I’d buy any of the collection solely for investment purposes. Just because I’d rather collect shiny things.

So I’ll keep that in mind once we’ve talked to some dealers.

Ipv6Ready likes this.
  10. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah I’d definitely get it valued, and then have a family gathering.
    I mean if they said it’s worth $1000 I’d wait but if they were valued at a significant price...... it becomes harder to decide.

Good luck.

Ageless likes this.
  11. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Nice and very beautiful collection, being a stamp collector since early age, i can say that i do not expect any returns from items i collected for 30 years, most of them are still in mint condition, I bought from post office from time to time in different parts of the world as a hobby.

Selling stamp is very tedious job, you need a lot of time and patience
    You have to recheck and do some readings as well, identify the rare ones

Selling them on line in a partial lot is the only way to have a better return or higher proceeds. If you try to sell to a stamp dealer for sure the price will be downfold into 30 to 50 times.

I always feel bad, when i see a collection being treated like that. I have to accept that scenario if someday mine will end the same.

12. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Dealers will give you two evaluations, the first is usually free and is an offer to buy, usually below the market value. The second is for insurance purposes and will probably cost you but will be the replacement value.

If no one in the family is interested in stamps then I would take it to a couple of dealers and take the best offer.

The way to get the best value is to go through them and pick out the highest value ones but that takes time and knowledge. Most will not be worth anything but there may be some that are worth quite a bit. How much does anyone care about getting maximum value for them?

The other option is to find an auction house willing to sell them on consignment. You might have to wait a bit and you will have to give a percentage of the proceeds to the auction house but it might give you better returns for less overall effort.

13. GoldSilverPlatinum

GoldSilverPlatinum Member

Just looking at the images I must say don't count yourself rich. Stamps is all about quality. The age (how old they are) doesn't matter for price. It's about numbers printed and used.

From what you have shown this would be classified as a beginners collection/children's collection. The Buenos Ayres stamps are most likely fake as they were popular amongst stamp forgers in the 19th and early 20th century.

I have seen so many damaged stamps in the images that I would decline to even buy it as a collector. My advice is to pass it on to someone who might be interesting taking the hobby on in the family.

If you live in Sydney area, there is a stamp and coin show at Hurstville with dealers from all over the country to have a look and advice you. (12-16 june)

JNS and Bosse68 like this.