Great new bullion series from the Royal MInt: The Queens Beasts

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow that’s is a woeful response by RM.
    Man I’d go nuts if I bought $250 worth of tiles and it had flaws that obvious. Though in your supplier case, they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

2. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

Can't milk spots just be rubbed off? I'm fairly new to stacking. Most of my stack is junk silver, but I do buy silver that I think is cute or pretty - koalas, pandas, kooks, and the Queen's Beasts.

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

'can milk spots be rubbed off.' They cannot. Once there, it's toast. And if you try to rub it off, there will be a mark. Either way, you're stuck with a coin that is probably worth spot. All premium is pretty much wiped clean...pun intended.

4. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

You are falling for the marketing. Are you buying them to collect and enjoy or to try to profit?

If you like them as a collector, just buy the Griff one if you have the money (but buy any remaining ones at pre-release discount and while silver spot is cheap). Heck, go ahead and find a nice wood case for them all, enjoy them, etc etc.

...otherwise, if you hope to make a profit (or are a collector on a budget), good things come to those who wait. You are smart to avoid paying nearly 300% of spot for a coin that will probably all be selling for around spot +$2 just like Britannia or other Brit mint coins once the set is finished... definitely by a few years afterwards. These are all minted in the MILLIONS. Sure, you might be able to get an extra $10 or something if you have all the QB set, a set of 2013-present Brits, have all the coins in good condition and encapsulated, etc.

They are all minted in the millions (Brits) or to level of demand (QB), though. All of the milk spots in the world won't lower the supply to the point where they will command significant premiums they currently do or did recently. The only real reason they have any demand and inflated premium now is because they're the current hot thing. Think of it like cars or iPhones... a "limited" model might be enticing and commanding a premium for a short time... but as soon as supply catches up or the newer model arrives, it is soon on clearance for avg industry price or even less. GL

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    ZaidaBoBaida likes this.
  5. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So far, all the QB coasters I’ve seen on YouTubes are all very pretty, better than what I’ve got so I suspect some batches are better than other.

At a local dealer I actually saw them unboxed before my eyes, cut out of the plastic shrink wrap, yet at least one of them had very rough scratches on the capsule. Almost all the capsules had smudges on them so I need to wipe them with a cloth before I could examine the coin inside the capsule. Two thirds of them had a mole like dot on the queen’s nose - I don’t if that’s a milk spot. I went through more than a dozen pieces.

6. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Millk spots are lottery, but those nicks I think RM should take more ownership.
    I am renovating my kitchen right now, and if a box of tiles had nicks that bad I’d take it back and I’d say my local tile supplier would get much better support from the tile manufacturer.

ZaidaBoBaida likes this.
  7. sgbuyer

[​IMG]

Ordered some of these plus Griffins in Nov. Didn't buy the unicorn and now silver has shot up. I now notice that they are amazingly large for only 10 oz of silver. They look bigger than lunars 10 oz. Must be some sort of mind trick?

Anyone here also got the Valiant?

8. mongrelmaple

mongrelmaple Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I’m also kicking myself for not ordering the 10oz unicorn a couple of weeks ago, was watching the price at Perth bullion and it was as low as $238 at one point. Now it’s up to $256 :( will probably pull the trigger tomorrow if silver continues to rise!

9. sgbuyer

Well, we got until Sept 2019 to buy. The Griffins I got are full of specks, not sure if I got a "bad batch".

10. mongrelmaple

Did you buy your Griffins from Perth bullion? I’ve heard of a couple people having issues with the large griffins now, I just checked mine and they are still looking fantastic, touch wood!

11. sgbuyer

I got mine from IPM SG. By the time I got interested in Silver QB, the Griffins are almost sold out everywhere. For some reason, the 10 oz are difficult to buy while you can get the 2 oz very easily and from most dealers.

12. mongrelmaple

It’s proving so hard to get those 2oz griffins these days (and the lions too) without them having a seriously high premium :(

13. sgbuyer

Yes, there's a lot of dealer hoarding going on for the QB. This is quite unlike the Lunars where the markup is quite standard all over the world. I read that in the early days, the newly launched 2 oz were priced excessively as they were difficult to get outside of the UK.

Damn, silver and gold prices has gone up again last night. It's really bad for us QBbugs. How can we hedge against metal price increase? :eek:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  14. mongrelmaple

For people like me, who’ve only been stacking since mid year and have only known the market at these stupidly low prices, seeing these jumps can be a bit of a shock. But I’m trying to look longer in the distance here.

It’s still below what it was at the start of the year, and I’m only looking at gold and silver as a long term hedge, not an investment or get rich quick scheme. And it’s still well below what it was at the top back in 2011, so it’s definitely still buying time! So in that aspect I would still prefer the lower prices from a couple months ago, but it won’t deter me off the Queens Beasts unless it went closer to the US$30/oz range.

I buy into the series for mainly the collector value, and because I view my long term silver side of the stack as 80% low premium bars and rounds, and the remaining 20% for the higher premium coins to get the hobby/collectors itch satisfied.

15. sgbuyer

I started in May and bought mostly low premium bars. This was a big mistake which I'm trying to rectify now by overbuying semi-numis more than my portfolio plan. I plan to offload some of the boring bars when I recover my capital.

Do you know that I am paying almost as much for most of the QB per oz bought in Nov as I paid for low premium 100oz bars in June? This is for Silver. For Gold, I'm paying even less for QB 1oz AU bought in October than the boring cast bullion I bought earlier.

I'm also in for the long term (in fact, it's for estate purpose), but it still feels terrible if prices were to fall back later (anything is possible). Silver is especially scary, it can plunge as it did in June/July.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  16. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

I'm in for long term collecting. I've been thinking that I'd really like a special display box for these coins, so I can show them without pulling out my whole stack. But, I really need for them to come up with capsules big enough to fit a 2 oz coins first.

17. mongrelmaple

There are plenty of online retailers who sell both the capsules for the 2oz coins, and display boxes as well. One of the other members on the forum @Soprano16 may be able to point you in the right direction in that regard.

18. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

i bought 150 QB capsules before I bought the tubes, so that slowly I can capture the beasts when they are being released or when they are not alert, ie ignored
    QB is UK comes with their VAT, but in USA QB coins are much cheaper than the rest of the world when released
    some people overdone with their purchases, they may end up having too much of certain coins, one day in the future they will come out at discount prices, as the fever had already left the series

for long term, there can be much more bargains knocking at the door, you can welcome the knocks or turn them away

19. sgbuyer

Anyone also got the Valiant 10 oz? The premium is even higher than QB 10 oz.

20. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker