Guide to buying silver in Australia (resurrected)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by goldpelican, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

GP is probably busy. Better off PMing House and they should fix it for you.

JOHNLGALT likes this.
  2. Yappy

Yappy New Member

Very informative

3. vangbacgiabao

vangbacgiabao New Member

:)

4. Alberth

Alberth New Member

Gold and silver are financial assets that are not part of a financial system thanks to their tangible value, acquiring them is the best investment.

JOHNLGALT likes this.
  5. Alberth

Alberth New Member

Hello. When investing in gold and silver represents a safe haven that increases during economic upheavals, war or natural events.

6. Ary

Ary New Member

I started off buying 1 kilo bullion bars while silver is still cheap. I buy PAMP Suisse bars because they are internationally recognised. Smaller bullion I get whatever is going. Perth mint, Ainslie Bullion, Brisbane Gold Company.

7. Chadbullock42

Chadbullock42 New Member

Could someone tell me what a 500g ‘Golden West Refining’ 9998 bar would be worth?

8. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Do you plan on having to flee Australia with your stack?

spannermonkey likes this.
  9. mike

mike New Member

Hi, I am not sure what it is worth but I may be interested in purchasing it. Please let me know if it is available and what your looking to get if it is.

10. Red Quoll

Red Quoll New Member

Hi i just joined the forum... My silver stack is not big .... i sold most of my stack when silver was near the $50 mark around 5 years ago ...i sold from $40 and up to $46 ... At these prices i have just got back into stacking silver ...I am currently purchasing 1oz Perth Mint rectangular dragon bar...
    I hope to trade in for gold when the silver to gold ratio hits around 60 to 1 ...

Cheers

11. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

RNOVARAJOHNLGALT said:
    @goldpelican I don't know if this is the place to ask this.

I applied for the Username JOHNLGALT , but ended up with the one above. Can it be changed please? _JOHNLGALT.

And, here we are after one and a half years, still waiting for the SKYROCKET. _JOHNLGALT.

12. SilverDJ

Well done!

Probably an ideal time to come back in. Under AU$20 is basically "cheap", and it's only hit that level a couple of times now.
    If your plan is to resell easily when/if is spikes then I'd be buying as close to spot as possible, and have it as liquid as possible. So that means bigger physical bars, or an account like at Perth Mint online.

13. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

https://on.rt.com/9jrb

‘The most hated precious metal’ to finally rise from ashes in the next few months
    Published time: 4 Dec, 2018 07:09

[​IMG]

After a terrible year, silver is finally a great buying opportunity for investors, according to Boris Mikanikrezai, a precious metals analyst at Metal Bulletin. He forecasts silver to finally rise in the next few months.
    The analyst wrote in a Seeking Alpha post that silver disappointed many investors this year. “Silver has been the most hated precious metal so far this year, with Comex [a division of the Nymex – Ed.] silver down 16 percent. In contrast, Comex gold and Nymex platinum are down a smaller 7 percent and 11 percent, respectively.”

He explained that: “The speculative community is still skittish toward silver, hence the lack of fresh buying. But if the current wave of short-covering helps silver prices to stabilize at $14 per oz (ounce), longs could come back, thereby extending the speculative normalization process.” That will push Comex silver spot prices higher, according to Mikanikrezai.

The analyst said that “Based on a number of metrics (e.g., gold/silver ratio), silver looks extremely cheap. As such, it constitutes a long-term buying opportunity.”

Meanwhile in the short-term, he advised to watch the macro environment, adding that it will be the primary driver for silver prices as the year wraps up.

Comex silver was trading at $14.51 on Monday, up more than one percent on the day.

Last month, Canadian investment bank and financial services provider TD Securities said that global demand for silver is expected to grow. It has projected silver to outperform the sister metal gold next year. According to TD Securities, silver prices will push to $17 an ounce by the end of next year.

14. Red Quoll

Red Quoll New Member

Thanks mate i think it was a fluke on my behalf tho... i was 50-50 if i would sell... Profit was there so i took it while i could

Yeh under $20AUD is a great buy IMHO
    I have a good relationship with KJC in the City ...
    I actually got more for my coins than i did my bars last time.... The funny thing was KJC were out of silver when it was going up in 2012(2013?) at around the $40 mark
    They had people lining up for silver and could not get enough for demand
    Funny how people jump into PMs when they are going up...but few buy when the price is low ...

Cheers

Silverling likes this.
  15. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've noticed this too. When it's low they are thinking, nup this isn't good, it's going to go lower. When it starts going up they think they are going to miss out on the increase. What's the acronym? FOMO (Fear of missing out). The smart people just quietly buy when when it's low. :D:):)

16. milled

milled Active Member

it is a common feature to the more liquid markets as a rule of thumb. It is paralleled in the price graph - the doubling time slowly develops into an arc and then it shortens at ever increasing intervals as the doubling becomes exponential. It follows a derivative function.
    Qualitatively you see the mass entry of relatively uneducated people, emotions running high and dissenters run out of town on the websites.
    Taken together these are good sell signs you. You don't go broke taking a profit.

Silverling likes this.
  17. Mobius2011

Mobius2011 New Member

Hi all

New to this forum. Was referred by a friend recently. Only just started accumulating and want to get in while prices are so low and accumulate a bit. Particularly silver. I have several ounces of gold now and only a little bit of silver. Namely these:

https://www.ainsliebullion.com.au/p...199e-3c5b-420c-b407-7bba3b70abf7/default.aspx

The OP says Perth Mint Kookaburra, Koala and Lunars in terms of coins. Why not roos? Is there some problem or difference with them? Or less demand?

Also, I was thinking of getting some kilos of silver in the coming weeks. Namely these:

https://www.ainsliebullion.com.au/p...6e7a-0644-44db-af35-31a44259ecb6/default.aspx

I live close by, so will just walk in and buy them. I don't need to get posted.

I've collected various things over the years, including coins, but never precious metals. I'm not accumulating for collectability. I'm accumulating to invest and hedge.

Pros and cons of this choice? I understand that coins are more liquid, as they can be sold in smaller amounts, but the cost to accumulate the same weight, is like another half more expensive than bullion. The OP says this in his opening post, which I don't understand:

If I buy it off say Ainslie. Won't Ainslie just buy it back off me? So what is the problem with liquidity? What am I missing?

Thanks for any advice.

18. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Roos didn't exist when I wrote this guide in 2010 :)

Generally if you're looking to hold simply for investing/hedging, look for the tightest spreads, and expect to sell back to a dealer for fastest liquidity. Depends on your planned investment size.

19. SilverDJ

You are missing what's called the buy/sell spread. Take Goldstacker for example, you buy for $24.75 and sell back for $19.25 (about $1 below spot price). That's a 22% loss, or silver has to go up by that amount for you to just break even.
    Ainslie and others will be similar.
    1kg bars for example will be half that, or about 12% spread. Still a huge spread to overcome.

Compare that with say the Perth Mint online depository. Buy $20.45, sell $20.17.
    You pay a HUGE price for holding physical metal yourself.
    You can get better rates of course by selling on this forum or other places, but it's much more PITA.

upload_2018-12-15_16-55-2.png

upload_2018-12-15_16-50-23.png

Attached Files:

Silverling and jultorsk like this.
  20. Mobius2011

Mobius2011 New Member

Ok, thanks for the explanation. So if I buy say 1KG stackers, will I have a problem selling them to any dealer, or do they only buy back what they sell? E.g. I buy a PAMP silver online from some dealer, but then want to sell it back to say Ainslie.