Genuine or Fake Rare Great Wall Medal

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Coins A-Z, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

On October 24th I received a message from eBay based of of a saved search request. The message informed me that an item just became available for purchase on eBay. When I clicked the link, to my surprise, the item had already sold.

This is the item: "
    1984 China Great Wall Proof Silver Medal in Box No Heros Sealed
    " ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-China...917930?hash=item5b4e506e6a:g:LKkAAOSwctJb0IDu ).

My question is: is this a genuine of fake item? The reason I ask is not because something looks obviously wrong with the medal itself, but rather because I am not aware that these medals ever came issued in plastic pouches back in 1984. I'm aware that there are allegedly fakes of this rare type of medal out there....and based on the fact that this item sold for about $2,500, I'm very much concerned that perhaps yet another fake may have just been sold.

If for some reason you are unable to see the auction listing, then let me know and I'll share the auction photos here in this thread.

Any and all thoughts regarding this are welcome.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  2. Silverdale

Silverdale Active Member

Andrew Li is the man for the job

3. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

Andrew...where are you?

4. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am more on non precious metals Great wall NOT the precious metal.

NGC has always grade those 82-84 Greatwall as fake because there are few varieties exist and not publish in book. It become unknown and unable for them to authentic it. The word "fake" is not use but "unable to authentic" is used which can avoid court issue.

Generally, I do not come across silver 84 Greatwall with original seal on it. I notice this seal is looking good without the aging effect.

As other details look good. However the photo is not in high resolution. I cannot tell anythings at all since I am not good in precious metal greatwall and own none of it.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  5. andrewlee10

Rare and cheap for this BRASS China exhibition Great wall now.

upload_2019-1-23_10-54-7.png

upload_2019-1-23_10-55-5.png

Coins A-Z likes this.
  6. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

Is that your brass medal, Andrew? Did the Chinese even use those types of plastic pouches back in the early 1980's?

7. andrewlee10

One type has been proven which used for the world trade exhibition in USA that come with box. There are few varieties of boxes used. Those most likely no plastic pouches at all because the box just nicely fit into the medal. I do not have a lot of it from overseas BUT i did read other articles and 2 example in ebay sold by overseas sellers.

As the above photo with plastic pouch which from old collectors in china. 2 collectors has sold around 15 pieces in these 2 months which one of them is ex-shanghai mint staff. I suspect the leftover in mint which not used for the exhibition are seal in pouch. Both of the collectors items are in pouch which lead to my deduction. It can be wrong.

I have total 9 pieces of it sold 3 pieces. I will keep 3 of it and sell the balance. I did list in ebay.

I have also acquire a rare Greatwall which seldom see anyone post to forum.

You can check the photo here.

http://chinacoinsforum.com/index.php?topic=26.0

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019