War on cash continues in MSM

Discussion in 'Currencies' started by JulieW, Apr 15, 2016.

1. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Someone at Telstra is going to get a stern talking to...

2. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Someone with the msm changed the article from the link provided ... now it says ... "warned" ...

Eftpos out after Telstra breakdown
    A NATIONWIDE Telstra outage has been resolved after it affected numerous Eftpos machines and ATMs, with shoppers being warned to ‘carry cash’.

"A NATIONWIDE Telstra outage has been resolved after it affected numerous Eftpos machines and ATMs.

The outage, which began on Friday, affected businesses in numerous states on Saturday morning, including a number of taxi companies, a Telstra spokesman said.

“Our team worked through the night on the fix and we are seeing the machine-to- machine traffic returning to normal,” the spokesman said in a statement just after 12.30pm on Saturday.

“All devices should now be capable of connecting.”

During the outage people had been advised to carry cash instead of relying on tap-and-go payments.

A Telstra spokesman said the outage was fully restored shortly after midday, and blamed a technical issue with a third-party provider for the connection failures.

“The issue in a vendor’s network resulted in intermittent authentication of devices which prevented some of them connecting to the network,” he said.

“A small number of devices may require a restart to reconnect and we are working this through with our customers. We sincerely apologise to customers for the impact it had through yesterday and overnight.”

The outage came days after an issue affected access to some Telstra apps and the company’s website, including cloud services."

https://www.news.com.au/national/ef...n/news-story/119e758f5b8a22b7f8da08b742b20302

3. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Did anyone notice? I presume this only effected tiny portion of atm/eftpos, using pstn

The Average and Smart operators/owners would have moved over to IP and or have backups.

4. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I only encounter one store that was effected by it. They seems to be those small popup style places in shopping centers.

Anyway always handy to keep about $50 in the wallet.

JOHNLGALT likes this.
  5. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

Anyway always handy to keep about $50 in the wallet.[/QUOTE]

A better place is in the tool box under the greasy spanners... WHOOPS, my bad. _JOHNLGALT.

p.s. at least nobody knows my rego number (I hope).

6. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

You cash prepper you!

I always keep an assortment of denominations in the wallet, super handy. And if I'm going away anywhere I always carry a lot more. Enough to get me out of trouble and back home if the system goes down. Your car isn't going to help you get 1000km back home if the system is down and you have no cash.

Holdfast and leo25 like this.
  7. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sure it will. If SHTF i can use my silver to get fuel. All i have to do is ask the fuel attendant for a packet of cigarettes, then when his back is turned i whack him over the head with my emergency 1kg bar.

selby25, Holdfast and JOHNLGALT like this.
  8. JOHNLGALT

Lol, I've gotta give you a LIKE for inventiveness Leo.

leo25 likes this.
  9. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

and a bold like at that, you must have really impressed him.

10. JOHNLGALT

NO, he really impressed me. Are you jealous?
    Thanks for your constructive comment, I'm sure you really added to the forums knowledge.

metalzzz likes this.
  11. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Is this the end of cash? Vendors turn to cards only in fear of virus germs on ‘dirty’ virus ‘carrier’ notes and coins

"There are calls for cash to be banned at stores because of fears it could spread coronavirus, with more businesses now only accepting card.
    Shops and retail outlets are trying to shut down cash transactions in fear of coronavirus infection from “dirty” bank notes and coins passed from hand-to-hand.

From next week, some cafes are planning to refuse cash payments altogether and chains like Woolworths and BP Petrol have posted notices discouraging customers from using anything other than tap and go.

National secretary of the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association, Gerard Dwyer, has urged a move in shops to cashless payments because “cash is a carrier”."

more hysteria and propaganda at https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...s/news-story/5ef7d88194c7d65b3051cd678e200d1f

Never let a crisis go to waste ... problem reaction solution ...

metalzzz, Oddjob and madaw1 like this.
  12. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

Until the above Telstra problem arises or the power goes out. Then their policy will be cash only

metalzzz likes this.
  13. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

They has used this Virus as tool to change to cashless society...

14. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Corona is a tremendous threat, but it comes in handy for them to scare people away from their money.

If you're afraid to hold it (due to Corona fear), you will not own it!

I haven't seen such cashlessness around ever before!

madaw1 and metalzzz like this.
  15. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

Had my first cash transaction refused today......well almost. Went to buy some items from PetBarn on the Gold Coast. Young bloke with gloves on and no mask kindly refused my cash.
    I asked him to add up the sale for me.. where I politely left the cash on the bench and reached for the items.
    He tugged at the items but failed. So I left with my items and suggested he call the police if I committed an offence. Left an extra $2.50 as well!

madaw1 likes this.
  16. metalzzz

Ps. Hi everyone, been a few years but I’m back with popcorn

slavaja likes this.
  17. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Unbelievable.

So, in the end you did buy (take) the items and left the cash, right? :D

They have gloves, but prolly masks are too expensive.

18. metalzzz

Bloody oath I took them! $47.50 worth of dog food and left a $50 note. Should be me calling the police

lucky luke and STKR like this.
  19. metalzzz

I understand they can legally dictate payment methods but I won’t agree without a fight.
    Won’t be shopping at that store ever again either. I fear my list will be exponentially expanding.

TreasureHunter likes this.
  20. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

WHO Cash
    Posted on The Royal Australian Mint

Medical experts have confirmed that cash, including coins is safe to use – there is no evidence that either coins or cash spread COVID-19.

The World Health Organization has rejected reports that it warned COVID-19 could be spread through handling cash. WHO spokeswoman Fadela Chaib said, ‘WHO did NOT say banknotes would transmit COVID-19, nor have we issued any warnings or statements about this.’

COVID-19 is transmitted through droplets caused by infected people coughing, sneezing or speaking, which can land on other people or common surfaces. You can be infected by breathing in the virus if you are within one metre of a person who has COVID-19, or by touching a contaminated surface and then touching your eyes, nose or mouth before washing your hands.

The best defence against these droplets is to avoid touching your face, sanitise the surfaces of any items that you touch, and regularly wash or sanitise your hands.

This applies equally if you use cash or cash-free methods such as contactless payments. Be sure to also wash your hands after using phones, credit cards, keypads or touchscreens.

Being able to keep using cash during this period is vitally important for many people, particularly disadvantaged people such as those with literacy issues, on low incomes, and without regular access to phone or internet services.

We urge retailers not to discriminate against people who prefer to use physical currency and to continue accepting cash to ensure people have access to the goods and services they need. Refusing cash could put an unnecessary burden on people who depend on cash as a means of payment.

More information on cash and coronavirus is provided in the links below.

Useful link

No, cash does not carry coronavirus, says WHO, 9 March 2020
    https://www.cashmatters.org/blog/no-cash-does-not-carry-the-coronavirus/