Buying fake silver

Discussion in 'Fakes & Counterfeits' started by Muddy water, Mar 6, 2018.

?

Buying fake PM

1. Any

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Any

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Muddy water

Muddy water New Member

Hello everyone
    I’m new at all this and decided to start stacking seriously now that I’m retired. Reason is I am stacking “seriously” is I am retired now and am home 99% of the time. I got a little nervous having this in the safe deposit box so I moved it all to the house.
    Ok now I’m nervous about having it in the house, so I spent money on a tl 15 high security burglar and fire safe (1000 lbs). It is bolted to the slab and is behind a false wall.
    I have 8 cameras 1 is a Ptz infrared remote controlled front gate, the house also has a burglar alarm.
    I have another cheap safe as a decoy. I want to put some cash and cheap costume jewelry old broken watches, important looking papers in it.
    My question is it legal to buy fake silver and gold so I can store it in the decoy safe?

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:
    Don't do it
    who knows you have a safe ?
    Having a fake safe with fakes will only get you in more trouble with thief's
    They will come back & hurt you more :eek:
    Who ever know's you have a safe at home should be buried underneath the safe when you pour the concrete
    fakes legal to buy , NOT if they have face value in your country

3. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1. Dont talk about serious "Safe" in the house, in any PUBLIC forum
    2. Dont talk about valuables that are in it, how much it is worth or potentially it is worth.
    3. NEVER EVER start trading with anyone in any forums and give out your address. even putting in a return mail address is an issue.

In regards to FAKES dont do it.... if you have a 1000 pound safe,

a. Amateurs who stumbled in are just looking for a laptop and TV wont even try to break it.
    b. Serious Criminals targeting you will have a gun to your head.... now how angry do you think they will be, knowing your address and they got fake gold.

4. Muddy water

Muddy water New Member

Ok Got it, thanks. Haven’t mentioned it to anyone I know. Guess the decoy idea is now a moot subject.

5. Midastouchofgold

Midastouchofgold Active Member Silver Stacker

Buy a few kgs worth of florins etc and put them in there. And play money cash from ebay. If the thieves didn't look closely at it they would think it is real. I am kind of hesitant to say it because I nor anyone else wants to encourage the selling of fake coins but they sell the fake coins on ali baba for what looks around $2 a piece. A few hundred bucks worth of them would do the trick.

And a 1000lb safe WOW that must be some serious stacking going on.

6. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I’ve seen a video of a 1000 lb safe being broken into in about 10 mins. I reckon a non bank safe deposit box is one of the best options.

7. lowtech

lowtech Active Member

How much did you plan on spending to buy fake rubbish?
    Put that amount in your decoy safe.
    If I was a burglar and found a safe and there was only a couple hundred bucks in it, I'd probably stop looking for better stuff.
    Most likely, I'd throw a twenty in there and go next doors.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tight lips is probably your best security. Most break-ins are likely to be because a family member mentioned your collection to a friend. Even if the friend of the family isn't the problem, somewhere down the chain someone will have a drug problem and your house is easier than a bank.

Quite a few people want to have a dummy safe and fake gold and the question comes up quite a few times, the conversation usually ends in discussions on how best to hide your precious metals outside of the safe and how to disguise precious metals as something else.

It's all down to the threat level, if you are likely to be in the house then the threat of physical violence to yourself or a relative is going to have you running to the safe and opening it up. If you are not going to be in the house then thieves can wait until they have time to open the safe.

Many members have been broken in to and had fairly decent safes cut open.

When you buy precious metals see if you can get them delivered to a work address or a Post Office Box so that the person sending to you doesn't know where you live and store your metals. Likewise when posting metals to someone else, don't use your home address as the return address.

Don't tell your friends or family about it and never bring them out to show anyone.

You sound like you have a pretty good security set up so as long as no one knows what you have you should be ok!

Midastouchofgold likes this.
  9. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

I would imagine any thief that is smart enough to open a safe is going to see through fake jewelry. Insurance is something that is always at some cost. If you use the small safe, it might be good practice to have a few small bars in there, that a thief will see as the honey in the pot and take it and stop looking for bigger stuff. Think of the price of the small bars as the insurance cost!
    It is not that silly to have your eggs in different baskets.
    Cameras are a great deterrent and tend to make a crook look elsewhere, but they can also be an indication of something good being protected.
    Discreet cameras are best. If you have made the mistake of pointing a camera at the false wall, you might consider getting a hidden cam for that location.
    They come in Alarm PIR housings, smoke detector housings, even wall power points with hidden cams. Swapping cameras on an established system is an easy job you don't need a technician for. Just check you cables and make sure they match up to the old one.
    You also want email alerts for camera events set up on the DVR.

10. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

With the cost of the big safe and camera system, you crippled your ability to profit from your metals (not to mention made ever moving to an apartment basically impossible and/or much more expensive). I continually fail to see why people buy fancy safes, sigma machines, etc for hundreds or thousands of dollars. Precious metals have such slim profit margins to begin with.

...for storage, just buy mostly gold after you get 300-500oz or so of silver, and put it in a few various and inconspicuous places. That keeps it cheap and profitable, and you are mobile should you need to move residences or transport it.

Think of under your laundry hamper, under a floor board, in a low cupboard, garage work bench, beside the refrigerator, suspended ceiling tiles, basement nooks and crannys, etc etc. Pick places that nobody would ever find unless they were doing a deep cleaning or remodeling job. Basically, pretend you're hiding Easter eggs... that people won't be able to find. It is not too hard. Assuming you can keep your mouth shut and remember a half dozen spots, it's free, effective, and just not too difficult.

11. Cind3r

Cind3r Active Member Silver Stacker

I find the best security is is the fact that no one even knows what gold and silver bullion is!!!. Jewelry is obvious to everyone but a 100oz silver bar looks like construction material. All of my bullion looks like blobs of junk rather than something collectible. I could probably store it in my shed next to my aluminium and copper furnaces in with the scrap for melting and no one would look twice lol.
    My wife just doesn't understand the point of owning metals and i rant on about it all the time.
    I have some very well off friends and they have no idea what a gold bar is or what its for or why anyone would want it.

But backing on the topic i think its blasphemous to the silver gods to knowingly and willingly buy fake silver.

12. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I used to think like this 20 years ago. At that time, with little money to begin with, buying silver and gold is to "profit". Today, buying silver and gold is for diversification, and most importantly of all, to serve as a "illiquid" savings/inheritance that can't be easily squandered away or confiscated - unlike cash in the bank. Hence, it's necessary to get a good safe, so I can put everything in to be forgotten.

I also got a sigma machine (supposedly made in usa), ironic that a verifier made in usa to detect counterfeit made in china coins? Anyway, it paid for itself more than two times over when it detected a fake gold coin just a week after I received it.

13. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Lol, very true. I get the question, "well, what do you do with it?" commonly from family.

14. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

First line of security is nobody knows you even have metal.
    Second line of security is nobody knows where you keep it.
    Third line of security is its physical storage.
    Forth line of security is insurance policy.

There is irony here as in order to put in place the 4th line you need to break the first two. Consider buying 5x 200lbs fire safes and store in various places leaving a couple empty then having one huge one where it's obvious where you store it. Decoy is a good idea, just leave it empty, but don't make it too obvious/visible as it may attract thieves. Keep in mind natural disasters too such as fires and floods. Metal bars in a fire safe will survive both though. Also consider what will happen in the event of your (and your spouses) sudden death too. Make sure your solicitor knows at a minimum, the first line.

15. Ele

Ele New Member

Hello
    I also would not recommend fake coins or bars. Here my lines of security:

1. Don't tell anyone. Although you probably will be surprised how many people know or guess you may have - the dealier, the delivery guy, the store you got the safe... Thats why:
    2. I do not keep the metal at home - place where it is delivered. Also I do not keep it at safe deposit box because of the terms and conditions here.
    3. I have house alarm and security guys arrive pretty quickly :)
    4. I have 2 dogs, prety big, very friendly, but I tell noone about how friendly they are. I encourage them to bark.
    5. I do everything I can buy myself - like changing taps, decorating, gardening - it is enjoyable and I save money. But the big plus is - no strangers at home.
    6. But unfortunately I cannot do everything so when someone has to come, I always make sure they call 10 mins before arriving, so I can "take the dogs away so it will be safe" - they go in the kitchen and bark form there. Also I lock all rooms they suppose not to go and take away any valubles like laptop, ipad, phone... I always make sure I leave the impression I'm short of money - I always talk about the great discount certain shops have and I ask where I can buy cheap things. I aolso put some prety old clothes. This is in case they decide to come back later anyway for something they noticed may bring them some money.
    7. As I mention in 6, I always leave the impression I'm short of money. It is actually true - I don't really have enough money to become a millionaire, but I do not say the last. For example when I got my new car, everyone came to ask not only about a car but about a job I may want to be done. So I said I'm totaly broke after Ive got the car but I had no choice and now I will be totaly broke for the next 5 years until I pay for it.

Although I do not keep any metal at home, I still have valubles like jewelry, although many women wear daily more than I actually have, and I've been robbed in the past, so I'd like to be safe anyway. The feeling after someone broke in is terrible.

16. Ipv6Ready

Buy 100kg bars, a huge deterrent to stealing it.

When you save up more, buy another and spot weld the two together and so on, until you can show case it to all your neighbors.

spannermonkey likes this.
  17. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

I thought about getting 1 tonne high grade copper blocks delivered. Just cut the lifting lugs off when they get dropped off in the back yard, wrap them in plastic with some silica gel packs inside & done. Noone is taking those.

18. Ipv6Ready

A better bet would be to go to local scrappers and buy bales of crushed grade 1 copper. Prob can get a discount below spot, of course this would mean there will be a discount when selling it back again but it would minimise any "new" premium.

Plus there are plenty of scrap dealers, likely more than precious metal dealer in most cities or larger regional towns

19. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

BUILD A WALL ...

20. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

brick by brick...
    russian-silver-1024x620.jpg