CoinExpo Santa Clara with panda medal

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by andrewlee10, Jul 17, 2018.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2018 September 21-23 CoinExpo Santa Clara.

The new panda medal will release after 30 years from 1987. However, the price of the panda still not appreciate as high as others panda coin in general.

USA panda coin show medal and singapore panda coin show always perform weaker than other countries coin show panda medal expect the error pieces. Are those USA and singapore show panda medal been curse? It is really puzzle.

Here the show panda webpage which you can buy it here too.

http://sfpandas.com/

The interesting is huge 12 oz gold panda medal with 6 mintage and price at USD38,500.

The 2 oz silver piefort 90 mintage price at USD475

https://www.sfpandas.com/preorder.htm

Will it be the Funfair USA panda medal which hype and price go up very high and than down significantly even below release price. I will say no because the mintage is low BUT the piefort price is too high.

few design, Panda design look great BUT the FAT dragon not my taste. How about you?

edge is plain which is not favorable for me too

upload_2018-7-17_11-33-37.png

upload_2018-7-17_11-34-1.png
    upload_2018-7-17_11-34-32.png

2. clarksmith

clarksmith New Member

I am very biased, but I think the designs are quite nice !

The dragon isn't fat, he is actually very skinny. It's from the San Francisco New Year parade which uses people to hold up a long skinny dragon with big head.

Most of the USA medals are higher than the initial offering price. The lower mintage ones have done the best. It's been key to pick the lower mintage issues (such as 1988 ANA gold 1oz medal)

If you look at 12 ounce silver panda medals, they do very well. See the 1997 Munich silver 12oz medal which recently (jan 2018) went for $4500 at Heritage. The mintage of that one was 250.

Grading is also an issue. I sold a 1986 12oz silver panda medal (Hong Kong) for a crazy price (over $3,500) in NGC PF-69 Ultra Cameo. But this coin isn't doing well in 67 or lower grades.

3. andrewlee10

Yes the panda design is very nice. The dragon is skinny. Take a look of those coins and medals of dragon and dragon boat and compare the CoinExpo Santa Clara panda and dragon medal side by side which you will spot it on clearly.
    [​IMG] upload_2018-7-19_15-36-54.png upload_2018-7-19_15-38-18.png upload_2018-7-19_15-38-49.png upload_2018-7-19_15-37-35.png upload_2018-7-19_15-39-30.png

This is the dragon boat comparision. You notice the dragon head is long and sharp instead of short and the neck and body has "U " shape.
    [​IMG] upload_2018-7-19_15-41-16.png

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...+medal&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_TitleDesc=0

The above are the Florida Fun fair show panda which during the peak selling at 230 USD for the 1 oz omp & 600 for the 5 oz silver panda medal.

The above were the ebay sold item in past 3 months which 11 transaction 1 oz graded show panda of Florida at average price of USD89. If minus ebay fee paypal fee, grading fee and shipping fee which you get USD46 (i.e 19 grading fee plus 3 shipping for grading 2 ways, 6.5% ebay fee if you get ebay store, 4% paypal fee, shipping fee to customer 6). Inn fact most of it sold below 60% as you can check the sold transactions as the above ebay link. 5 oz 5 transactions majority in NGC at average price of 358.8 after minus fee and expenses which you get 290. Are those not below Initial offering price?

Here another example of 2012 Ana show panda fall below initial offering price:-
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=1988+ana+panda+medal&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

1 oz NGC graded which sell 2X - 6X in majority 5 oz 2xx NGC graded.

There are quick a bit USA panda coin show medal did not fall below initial offering price BUT it is flat which minus all fees than become ............

1988 and the error panda USA are the 2 perform the best.

I use Munich, Hong Kong old coin show panda as basis and comparison.

In fact I feel the 12 oz 2018 CoinExpo Santa Clara panda is the better and best buy among all. 12 oz is very attractive pricing that I seldom came across.

The piefort with low mintage price tag is amazing. I will not touch it except I intend to flip it like the Florida Fun fair show panda which sell it at hype super fast and not hold for longer term.

GRADING is not an issue for modern coin which always between 69-70 for majority. Shanghai Mint has lesser issue in white spot as comparing to few years go.

Attached Files:

4. clarksmith

clarksmith New Member

I think you can analyze the price performance differently for 1oz, 5oz, and 12oz. The 5oz silver coins seem to be weakest. The early 1980's 5oz silvers have problems with white haze and handling, so grading can be a problem. But you are correct: not with the newest Shanghai mint quality....

Demand is quite high for the 1oz/30g silver pandas. They are fun and easy to collect. It seems mintages of 500 or less are complete sell-outs.

There are very few 12oz silver panda medals. All seem to have done well (if graded PF69 or 70). I am a big fan of the 1986 12oz silver Hong Kong (but only in 69 grade).

5. andrewlee10

2017 singapore panda 1 oz silver also sold out. the reason is I order and sold almost 100 sets which is 1/5 of total mintage. As heard another HK dealer get 100 set too which is 2/5 of the total mintage. some exhibitors get 10 -20 sets which easily put up to 100 sets that 3/5 gone.

Some china dealers get some in china for selling in ebay and china around 50 sets by estimation. pandaamerica might sell to others before sold 50 sets which 4/5 gone.

100 over sets available at coin show ONLY. This the reason those "sold out" quickly and price remain and gone strong a bit to break the curse. However, those dealers are awaiting to grade those coin and sell NGC which get good price for PF70 initially BUT drop like hell after they release whole bunch of it. Luckily I sold all omp before the coin show.

This story not repeat for 2018 sg coin show panda. I am not even keen to sell it at all which I almost work for free and taking the risk after minus shipping fee, paypal and insurance. If one parcel loss which I even suffer loss LMAO

6. clarksmith

clarksmith New Member

I think that it's not good if dealers buy huge numbers to sell later.

But if they are sold 1pc here and 2pc there, then there won't be a big supply later.

What is the issue price for the 2017 Singapore 1oz silver? What is the price now ?

7. andrewlee10

If I am not wrong the issue price of 2017 Singapore coin show 1 oz is at 99 usd.

If dealers able to sell and distribute it well than it is good and not an issue. However it is not the case, this the reason I not repeat it in 2018 and Ana show sponsoring by panda America if I know the Hong Kong dealers buy it and any new issue items that going to buy by him.

The 2017 1 oz sell in ebay around Low 100 after minusing all costs which is breakeven or loss. Still a fair bit in ebay.

A soft market which you need to be more cautious of inventory control and turnover as dealer.

As small drake We do not play game like big one always list at Low price for those Numic and newly issue bullion coin to attract buyers and flippers. Than put up the price in very short period to show others in luring buying in. Than many talk and buy it and create another round of effect and so on and on.

This tactics been tested and success for past few years. After the emotional and hot period no buyers. Person who get in first and sell it will profit. The person who get in late at high price and hopping higher to sell it will suffer loss or unable to sell it. As we know Numic coins liquidity is not as good as others so need careful of your financial ability to buy and collect. It is for flipping , collecting? Value preserving or others.

Many flipper and hyper in this market as Long as money and profit exist. Beware all times. I been experience it and pay the tuition fee.

You will also be emotional as when you really into the collection. A lot information which is real but against your view which you just cannot accept it.

8. andrewlee10

I notice this the same design by same mint after buying the 12 oz silver. :(

upload_2018-8-27_10-25-44.png upload_2018-8-27_10-26-6.png

Coins A-Z likes this.
  9. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing Andy. I cancelled my order for the 12 oz and bought just the 30g. Not sure why they would imitate the same image soon soon after it was released. This is not good IMHO.