IOTA

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by leo25, Nov 14, 2017.

1. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ill do deeper analysis of the wording and see if i can find something more to pick on. Ill feed it into my supercomputer and see what my customs made software (criticiser 2000) can come up with.:p See what this endless hot weather is doing to me! :mad:

See if i had a fridge that ordered for me, then i wouldn't have an excuse to go the the nicely air conditioned shops :cool: I tell my missus I'm just going to get some bread and return 3 hours later with ice cream.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    southerncross and Bullion Baron like this.
  2. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. leo25

4. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyway you look at it IOTA is a game changer when it comes to the current way of doing things in the IOT sphere and maybe even that of Blockchain.
    There really is no argument about the first point which can stand on its own.
    Whether the promises can live up to realization is quite another thing though.

I think, if there would be an IOTA type Blockchain Tech that was Human friendly as well it could really make a change.

5. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I dont get why I would want my pool filter connected to the internet let alone my pillow?

leo25 likes this.
  6. dozerz

you are the product, data is the new gold commodity.

7. Brendio

Brendio Active Member

That's so Santa can upgrade his technology to know when you are sleeping and know when you're awake.

southerncross and Bullion Baron like this.
  8. leo25

Here is a recent video of the Chief Technology Officer of Telstra, he talks about IoT.
    I go out of my way to lock down my network and limit outbound access to devices that i feel don't needs internet access, so i can say all this IoT is not my cup of tea.

Stoic Phoenix and Bullion Baron like this.
  9. Stoic Phoenix

I see why someone else would want it on my products (that's a no brainer) but not why I would want or willingly use/enable said pillow (which is what I asked initially)

For the record I wouldnt use Siri or get that google or amazon talky thing in my house either.

10. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Never say never. That said, I don’t have the “need for it either”, I did get a Google home for Christmas, however it has not seen much use.

Some of my colleagues on the other hand, control their houses with it. To get there they had to spend decent amount of time (and coin).

“Alexa turn on home theatre” - has macros to turn on TV, amp, and dim lights. For example. One guy also has Alexa connected to his irrigation system. It checks the weather to see if, and how much to water.

In any case...back to IOTA.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  12. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

im with stoic on this ...siri , alexa & the rest of the home invading bots can kiss my white arse. . how does "siri can you get the fk out of my life " sound. i even hate these smart phones i really want the old nokia that only does calls & txt. stinking life invading soul destroying, listening/tracking devices they are.
    All you have to do is go anywhere & see the zombie apocolypse they have created, idiots walking around zombied out on their phones all day long ....what a friggin mess .

13. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

There is no need to microchip people yet ... when they are so willing to hold on to a phone ...

southerncross likes this.
  14. Brendio

Brendio Active Member

Indeed. I recently discovered Google Timeline. It's both scary stalkerish and actually useful for trying to remember, "When did I go to ...?"

15. dozerz

16. Soprano16

@Bullion Baron and any other IOTA fans might want to watch from 2:50 - 7:00 just to get an update on all the negativity IOTA is attracting

17. Soprano16

Yeah it was a joke, as in "I owe ya" because people have been getting hacked etc

18. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All the Data collection and Google Stalking stuff aside, How about the fact that pool filters on a decent sized pool draw a heap of power, In a very short time Iota or some clone of it , but probably Iota, will allow both the power network and your pool filter to talk to each other in a machiney sort of way and let you clean your pool at the lowest cost of electricity daily. The very same thing will happen for those installing Lithium battery banks, Charge at the lowest possible price (even cyclically) and use that stored power at the highest cost point in the daily cycle. Air conditioning, talking to your watch, (maybe even clothes with Walton) or sensors in a room will be able to track you and automatically adjust the room temperature to a pre set value as you move around your house and manage the climate in each room you are not in all at the same time. For you, your wife or a pre set value for both of you in the same room, or just to Her pre set even (Cause she's Cold or Hot or whatever.... You know).
    Electricity, heating, cooling, lighting are all things that hit the back pocket hard currently and are just one of the daily things we as humans interact with constantly that Iota offer's new solutions to.
    Think about washing your clothes even, an Iota enabled washing machine could read the Walton tag's going in and not even need you to select a program or measure out washing liquid, water levels, etc etc. Just chuck all that shit in there push the start button, let the machines sort it out and walk away.

19. leo25

All I see today is people creating solutions to things that are not problems. I have yet to see one real useful solution that IoT can provide. Its like when I was looking at a Nespresso machine the other day and the new machine can be connected to your smart phone, wtf, why would anyone want to do that? Devices communicating with the power company? Again that doesn't solve a problem, I can set a device now to run in off peak power. Sick of people trying to justify a need for IoT BS. I feel like I'm living in a crazy land.

What happened to real innovation? Something that either made our life much easier or allowed us to do something we could not do before.

Stoic Phoenix likes this.
  20. Stoic Phoenix

I concur Leo- this seems real gimmicky and not filling any real need.

Its right up there with those fridges that order your food when you run out in my mind - and how many of us have one of these?

I dont need internet to work with pool filter - a timer does the same thing for ensuring it works at off peak time.

I dont need the air con adjusted if I move 10 steps, besides the fact in SX's example I would be forced to buy a new watch when I dont even wear my current one.

A lot of this seems to be technology for technologies sake.

I appreciate the further detail SX provided but it doesnt convince me its tech I need.

leo25 and renovator like this.