Should I buy gold coins? Lets get some debate...

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by numistacker, Nov 5, 2017.

1. numistacker

numistacker Member

I am a big fan of gold numismatic coins and here are my reasons? Why do you collect gold?

Gresham's Law and Acorn like this.
  2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

give me, give me, give me some gold...love me some gold.

Silverbullet82 likes this.
  3. Bosse68

Bosse68 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Same reason I collect silver, I really like them
    I just started on the gold side of pandas, I only have about 5oz in 1/4oz and smaller
    Will be buying more gold nowdays as I have most silver ones that I can buy on my budget
    Will trying to get 2 1/4oz every month

Justin Thompson likes this.
  4. numistacker

numistacker Member

1/2oz a month is enough for a pension after a few years

wrcmad likes this.
  5. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

I am a fan of gold coins really if the premium is ok. The reason is due to it's liquidity in my locality to sell near to the spot.

6. Fat Penguin

Fat Penguin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gold pandas are my favourite gold coins just because of the designs. I like them in 1oz sizes. I’ll probably buy one of every year from now on......

Silverbullet82 and Peter like this.
  7. Ary

Ary New Member

I bought my first 1 ounce gold coin, a kangaroo from the Perth Mint. I'll buy bullion coins only, don't care for the rest.

Theox likes this.
  8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

There are good reasons one can come up with for buying coins or medals in gold, silver, platinum, palladium, bronze, copper, or any other material.

Whatever coin or medal you like and can afford, it's really okay for you to buy it. Whether one collects, or stacks, or flips...be happy!

9. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

You can lose money with Silver,rarely with Gold.

10. tongkat

tongkat Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm new to PM's (3 months) and have only bought silver, as I am learning. But will probably start into gold soon.

11. Miksture

Miksture Active Member Silver Stacker

in recent years gold has generally trended upwards in price and so gold coins have increased in price too. Unlike silver, many minted coins (eg sovereigns, francs, guilders and more) which would have collection value in another metal are instead valued for their gold content and are often called "bullion grade" coins. I have been very lucky in collecting 'bullion grade' sovereigns here and received such high quality coins that they could be graded XF or Unc (about uncirculated) which makes their sellability higher and often gets me better price. See this link for coin grades: ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_grading ).

There are bullion sellers that deal in these coins in Australia and give you a place to start. Note that even though the coins are priced for their gold value the premium (amount charged by dealer over spot) can be a bit higher than generic gold products. The trick is to learn which coins are sold as numismatic coins and which are being sold as bullion coins. For example Jaggards, Gold Stackers, Ainslie and others sell sovereigns. Bullion grade or common sovs go for around $450 at the moment. eg https://www.ainsliebullion.com.au/p...3b23-1b72-4a79-a52e-a39b713cdae5/default.aspx
    A standard sovereign contains about $386 worth of gold at time of posting. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces11463.html . This means that you are looking at least 15% premium on sovs as a minimum. Considering that GST takes up 10% from some sellers that is a pretty fine margin. Note that as a private person when you sell you don't charge GST which gives you an immediate (though small) advantage over bullion sellers' pricing if gold price has risen since you purchase.

Collectable sovs can sell for many thousands. I have enjoyed collecting sovs that sell for under $600 which allow me to get a range of coins from Melbourne, Perth and Sydney etc and designs including Shield, St George and Sydney Mint sovereign designs in the past. When I went through a tough financial period I sold off my collection sadly, and got good prices for them, which was pleasant.

So the message here is that while you can make more money on gold minted coins, you do need to do some research and take care in how you buy. It can be very rewarding so I do recommend it.

JulieW, GF and jultorsk like this.
  12. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

Gold has been used as money for almost as long as there has been money. Even JP Morgan said, "only gold is money everything else is credit." That is why I have gold. That and I have confidence that my little gold stack will be here when I retire. I do not have confidence that my 401k will be there or even social security.

13. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Yep. Gold can get you spot price nearly anywhere in the world; that's nice.

I buy pretty much whatever 917 gold coins are near spot price. I try to get decent looking stuff (and it's almost always decent in 917), and I sure don't bother with numismatic value nonsense. Liquidity and low cost are the only real goals on the PM coins.

Like anything, you don't want to go overboard. I keep gold to under 10% of my overall wealth since I don't view it as an asset. Assets create cash flow for you. Although very stable, gold can only create (potential) capital gains... it can't create regular asset income and dividends like stocks or bonds or real estate or my business can. Gold makes a great portable savings which can be cashed in anywhere and grows basically with inflation, though. No investment can really compare in terms of long term wealth storage and preservation of your buying power.

14. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

What is 917 gold?

15. pi

pi Active Member Silver Stacker

22 karat.

Yes but you should have bought them yesterday not today.

16. slide95

slide95 New Member

Canada has issued a lot of golden coins with a fineness of even .9999. I don't think it gets better than that. They start at 0.5 gram, I think (the miniature coins) and go up to at least one ounce pure gold in the modern bullion series.

17. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Coins, esp .9999 from PM and RCM and $200 RAM are rarely counterfeit.

Sovs are super liquid, easy to spot fakes,
    and international.

I like all these for these reasons.

18. slide95

slide95 New Member

Canada has issued a lot of golden coins with a fineness of even .9999. I don't think it gets better than that.

Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1

19. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like fractionals (1/2 oz and smaller) and raw natural gold.
    Ive been able to keep the gold from my claim but I cant get enough time to dig it all up yet Haha.
    Anyone that thinks gold is overpriced, go dig up an ounce and see what it takes!

Holdfast likes this.
  20. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Woops, this is off topic.
    What's not to like about gold? :D
    We use to pan for gold in the Torrens River.
    Now I have my own secret spots, I found 25 dollars worth of gold in just one week; now I pick-up bottles and cans, it's much more productive. :D

I still have a sealed package from the Royal Australian Mint that has a 1980 - 200 dollar gold coin in it. (I hope) It's a keeper. ;):cool: