Catalytic Converters-Platinum,Palladium, Rhodium anyone stockpiling or processing?

Discussion in 'Platinum' started by m3sca1, Oct 6, 2017.

1. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

I did a whole bunch of googling about Catalytic Converters the other day, stumbled on an old forum thread with peeps asking how to get the goodies out and the whole thread was packed with conflicting information, and a lot of people warning against the dangers of the processing. Some had very simple processes, others were using some very toxic stuff...but mostly there was a lot of talk of people with holding information and being secretive about it.
    Obviously anyone who is making coin off this would not want to water down their profits by sharing information, but surely with all the cars out there it should be an easy catch. Any regular youtube surfer no doubt has seen Cody and his mate sweeping up dust off a busy highway and extracting some shiny from it. That makes any drain on a busy highway worth prospecting!
    Some of the stranger things I read were-one quote about more PMG's being in a used CC than a new one and that they were pulling PMG's out of the fuel exhaust! Not so sure about this theory.
    Also that there is not enough shiny in them to be worth extracting as a sole operator, I feel like that is "don't waste your time" comment coming from those that are already profiting...

johnnymoronik likes this.
  2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes don't bother if you value your life
    They all get recycled in India for a reason
    There have been buyers of Cat converters around for decades .
    The more valuable the vehicle the more valuable the CC

3. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

i saw some Ferrari CC's on ebay for way more $$$ than could conceivably be the PMG's worth! one was nearly $3k!

4. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

when prices was high, cars started to have part missing, got people removing this parts to recycle from car parks

5. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

wow check out the safety and handling skills and the magic invisible gloves, invisible safety boots, etc.

6. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

Be warned, I do precious metal refining, if you mess with some of the Platinum group metals by yourself at home there is a significant health risk and by significant I mean IT WILL KILL YOU. Your body cannot dispose of these metals through the body and they are stored just like mercury poisoning. I know of a refiner who killed himself due to refining Platinum, didn't use the required safety measures and the toxicity built up either by inhaling fumes or splashing drops of the pregnant solution on the skin. Taking a cat apart is a mongrel of a process for these reasons i wont refine these metals. Scrap yards may take them but you wont get value from that buying source, I am unaware of a recycling agent for Cat converters in OZ, modern Cats in your modern average family taxi use Palladium as it was so much cheaper at the time, part the reason why you see Pall has increased so much in value due to industrial usage. Rhodium was initially used which is why the price went so high for the rare metal. Before Cat usage industrially Palladium was worth roughly 1/3 the price of Platinum, its almost parity now.

7. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

with that being said you can imagine the life span of the workers seen in the above video...they are all up in it no breathing masks, mixing litharge by hand before having a cigarette, standing around while great lumps of lead cupel in an open flame, incredible.

8. alor

metallic man

9. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

Yes very interesting OHS legislation in India, must be mind over matter, the company doesn't mind cause you simply don't matter. Truly an expendable asset, how many millions would put their hand up if you lodged concern or complaint about safety. Mad as hatters the bloody lot of em I say

10. alor

is human view as resources, plenty full there, fainted to count them all

11. Bullion_ron

Bullion_ron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

but millions of others would raise their hands for the work as well...

and I highly doubt OHS is a thing in most of India

12. President Trump

President Trump Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think you are all overly concerned. The guy wearing the sunglasses in the thumbnail at the top right hand side of the video is looking after the workers for sure.