Looking for suggestions on fire proof/resistant safe

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by colu41, Oct 13, 2017.

1. colu41

colu41 New Member

I'm looking for a fire proof/resistant safe for my metals, cash & also some room for a few pistols and some ammo. Style I really dont care, just looking for a fire safe, and anywhere between 1.5 & 2 cubic feet of space. Just curious to see what you guys are using for yours. Don't need to see pics (for your own safety) just a description or brand that you guys are using. Also, looking to get one for under $250. I know a really nice safe is extremely expensive but, for me, anymore than that it better fit a few rifles too :)
    Thanks

2. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would never keep my metals at home in a safe or buried like some people do, unless it is a small amount. If word accidentally gets out through a family member one can find themselves robbed, maybe even at gunpoint. I would advise a private SDB.

GF and 66rounds like this.
  3. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The kind of safe/strongbox you can buy for under US$250 would be little better than the kind of 'safe' you find in hotel guest rooms.

Any moron can get into one of those with a crowbar and a carbide drill bit can get through it within 20 minutes (assuming they don't have access to a manufacturer's master code!).

Also, safes tend to be expensive to ship mostly due to their weight.

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Safes are way too easy, best to be more creative
    ;)

5. colu41

colu41 New Member

Safety deposit box in my opinion is the worst place to store your metal. I'm looking for a safe for storage, and for fire protection, not necessarily getting robbed. One, if I get robbed while no one is home, well, its covered. Two, if I get robbed while we are home, the burglar wont be leaving the house on his feet. This is mainly for fire protection and simple locked up storage. But thanks...I'll just keep looking.

6. kiona

kiona Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. colu41

colu41 New Member

Thanks Kiona. I'll look into that. That looks similar to our Sentry brand we have for all of our house papers and bc's. I'm just looking for something a little bigger with maybe one shelf in it. And I may have found the one I want
    https://jet.com/product/SentrySafe-...ic-Fire-Safe/0ac16a2347cb4c0ab3d4b99229e195a5

8. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

stay away from those keypad type little ones- they can be bumped open if you know the mechanism behind the door.

9. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Sentry safes are a joke for security. Nothing but a heavy TDR (Torch & Drill Resistant) safe bolted to the floor will protect valuables against a regular smash'n'grad opportunistic thief.
    If you just want a fire safe to protect important papers etc then it's best to clearly mark it as such. i.e. "This is a fire safe. No valuables inside. Documents only"

10. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That would make me think, definitely something valuable inside!

11. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm wondering why you would have this opinion? I've always thought a non-bank SDB was one of the safest places to store PMs?

12. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A member here had their big safe cut open with angle grinders while they were away. They showed the photos here and asked for help. Don't remember if they were insured. I also heard insurance companies sometimes don't pay full amount of loss. Are you sure your's will?

13. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd suggest you do a bit of a risk analysis to figure out what you're trying to protect against and the likelihood of it happening e.g.
    - House fire
    - Smash and grab theft
    - Safecrack burglary
    - Home invasion/armed robbery
    - Quick access to firearms
    - Secure storage of firearms

There are trade-offs for each scenario. For example, you can often find monster-sized safes on Gumtree or craigslist for free (or cheap) provided you collect it yourself, but it'll be a bitch to move and will probably have an old tumbler lock. You can't use a tumbler lock very easily if it's 3am, you're half asleep and need access to a gun because you hear a noise outside or have some ar**hole jamming one into your neck and telling you to open the safe. Then again, you might not live in the kind of neighborhood where that is likely to ever happen. There are quite a lot of fire safes on the market which are great at protecting the contents from fire, but they can be cut into fairly easily if someone has enough time alone with them. I've seen one "opened without a key" in about 5 minutes, but that model can sit in a burning building for an hour and the inside will be maybe a bit warm after the fire is put out.

One very important thing to keep in mind regarding any type of security: you don't measure it's effectiveness by how well it works, but by how badly it fails.

Skyrocket likes this.
  14. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

There is always the "decoy" safe.
    Have one obvious safe that's not too secure, but still take some time to get into (wasting their time), and then fill it with fake gold bars from ebay :D
    They run away with their fake booty whilst you real safe remains, well, safe.

66rounds and barneyrubble like this.
  15. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Safes can be an absolute beastly pest to move around. We had one that weighed about 250kg. Position wisely.
    For these kinds of safes you put the key in a SDB. Coded doors only take a hostage situation to force open

16. silverhair

silverhair Well-Known Member