US Mint releases designs for the 2019 ATB series

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Coins A-Z, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

2. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

I thought there were some way better designs in your link for Texas, but Commonwealth one they did was better than the early nominees.

I like the Guam and Idaho 2019 ones that the mint settled on. It is too bad that many of the best designs in this series were early ones, but I guess there is another few states left to be seen :)

3. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

I received my 5 oz Uncirculated Cumberland Island Seashore coin a week ago and I must say I think the design is quite nice and the finished coin in hand is beautiful....my favorite for 2018 thus far.

2019's designs are a mixed bag on paper but they may translate surprisingly aesthetically well on an actual 5 oz coin.

Then 2021 is just a couple or so short years away and this fascinating series will be concluded.

4. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Nice. Mine doesn't ship until 9/21 or something if I remember correctly. I got it from a bullion site, not the mint, though.

Yeah, I agree that some of the designs look mediocre but really pop once you see them on a large silver 5oz coin. It is such a shame they are all so brilliant on the 5oz and yet state and park/site name is barely readable text and many arts are barely viewable on common size quarters, though. Some of the ones like Perry Victory or Hot Springs arts with single large subject look good on large or small coins, but most designs are art of the intricate and detailed types like Yellowstone or Shenandoah which kinda gets lost on the small quarter canvas. Haha

This is a great time to be collecting these impressive 5oz pucks... with spot prices down, some people seem to be giving up on getting the set due to less optimism that silver, and therefore these, will do well long term. I could care less since I think it might be the only 5oz set the US Mint ever makes, I love to look of them, and I plan to own them a lifetime (barring maybe a huge spike in their premium over spot). I do hope mintage for the last couple of years drops down to 2010 and 2011 levels if demand is down? :)

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

6. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Sounds like Block Island coin got delayed until 12/10/18 for shipment... whereas the 5th coin in each prior year had shipped in early-to-mid November. I wonder if that will have any effect on the last 11 coins' release dates, though? I was hoping they keep on pace and finish most of the series while silver is relatively cheap.

I like the Rhode Island design with the shore and landscape... probably the best of the bird images IMO. I liked Bombay Hook and El Yunque also, but this one is the best bird design yet...

[​IMG]

Coins A-Z likes this.
  7. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

It is a terrific design......not only is the heron wonderfully depicted, but I also like how the frothy waves are depicted coming upon the rocky shoreline.

This is the 45th coin of the series! Wow....what an impressive collection of 5 oz coins this is already. The early years coins were very expensive compared to the coins sold over the past several years. It would be nice if silver spot stayed low until this series' final release....but I suppose every silver stacker and collector hopes for the same thing.....except when they feel a need to sell some of their silver. Then it's "Damn the low silver spot!"

:)

SlyGuy likes this.