FAKE PERTH MINT GOLD SOLD HERE WARNING

Discussion in 'Fakes & Counterfeits' started by Golden Monkey, Sep 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Golden Monkey

Golden Monkey Active Member Silver Stacker

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

More info

3. Golden Monkey

Nothing has been resolved yet.Reading the attached thread should get you up to speed!!!

Seven of nine likes this.
  4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How did you test it I mean
    And what has the person who sold it to you said anything about it

5. Golden Monkey

It is way too thick and it doesn't pass on my sigma. And i am not the only one on here there are 2 others saying the same thing.

The seller refusing a refund unless he he gets his money back from the person he got it from.
    The seller on here guaranteed that he XRF tested this bar before its sale to me obviously this is untrue.

Cheers
    GM

6. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Going by the photo the seller showed,
    • the kangaroo overlaps onto the boarder which is a sign of a fake bar. There should be NO overlap on real bars.
    • The text on the front logo on the bar doesn't look good, but hard to tell with the low quality photo he took.
    • Just saw the side pics you added and yes it's too thick too.
    Here is a pic of a real bar
    http://www.images-apmex.com/images/Catalog Images/Products/57159_A.jpg?v=20160318034026&width=900&height=900

http://www.images-apmex.com/images/Catalog Images/Products/57159_Rev.jpg?v=20160318034026&width=900&height=900

For me it looks very fake.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Golden Monkey likes this.
  7. Seven of nine

Seven of nine Active Member

Once a person willingly sells a fake every other person starts to question their own purchase with that seller, since more than likely he or she has sold multiple fakes before as well. If that person doesn't come good then I believe that person should be banned from this community, his name recorded and he shouldn't be allowed to start a new account. However, sometimes this doesn't stop people from signing up with fake names and addresses either. There should be some form of payment protection that the admin could instate here? Something like ebay has with paypal, although paypal charges hefty fees which could offset the savings you receive if you bought elsewhere. I wonder if anyone else has any ideas about this?

8. billybob888

billybob888 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Payment protection can protect buyers but is costly and prone to scams from buyer side, honest sellers are often victims of such "protection"

I think people need to exercise greater caution when purchasing from the forum. I did cast doubt about the authenticity of the item. And given his low trading feedback, i personally wouldnt have bought the bar no matter how cheap it is.

Also there are information on the forum about Counterfeits bars
    https://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?threads/fake-perth-mint-gold-certicard.85515/

9. 11471147

11471147 Active Member

i wonder if there could be some forum benefit for Precious Metal Veterans who really know their stuff. the fact is that CarloC would have gotten away with his friendly string of lies if your expertise hadn't spotted the fake. most of us noobs owe a lot to the experts here.

kezza26, WSF, SilverTounge15 and 2 others like this.
  10. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I also think that seeing other persons have bought from him before that perhaps they should give us his real name. For example when doing a PayPal pay their real name and address comes up. Also past sellers would have his real name and address.

Those who pass on a fake products that was not known to them should be honorable and just take back the products and refund the money. Take up the issue with their seller and not take it out on buyers on this forum. If they are not prepared to do this then perhaps their real names should out there so when their name is googled red flags are raised.

I am pretty sure each post has a i. p. address attached to them and that the mods can see them. Even though it may be masked, sometimes they are not and may be worth logging for future attempts by the culprit to create an account.

I as a relatively new member am saddened to hear someone has been ripped off. On the other hand it's terrific the way all the other Silver Stackers came in and banded together and tried to help. I hope you resolve your problems Golden Monkey, your seller knows what he has to do, no ifs, no buts. Good luck mate.

11. Seven of nine

Seven of nine Active Member

Billybob - But would you have bought if the seller had shown side photos or photos where the bar was placed on a sigma device, or shown the thickness of the bar with one of those thinga magigs which measure it? I would like to know how people react to honest newbies trying to sell on here.

12. leo25

I think it's time to set some standards when selling items. There should be a minimum photo quality and a minimum amount of angles sellers should provide before selling. And if the seller didn't provide it, then the buying should insist it before buying anything. If this had happened then the fake would have been easily spotted and this mess avoided.

Admin should put a warning sticky at the top of the forum so all new people can read. Everyone has smartphones with decent cameras these days so the request to submit decent photos is not a hard request.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  13. Bear Metal

Bear Metal Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just to add a bit of discussion.....here is a pic of a genuine Perth Mint gold bar where the roos overlap or "kiss" the border. This is definitely genuine, tested by XRF, Sigma and bought directly from the Perth Mint. For the bar in question, thickness is a dead giveaway....

20170907_121701.jpg

14. leo25

When was that bar produced? Looks like PM have reduced it's standards then. All the ones I've seen haven't overlapped. Also have they changed the spacing inside, the old ones were a tight fit.
    Though i see that photo is a 100g bar not 1oz. I've never seans a 100g one before so can't comment on that one.

Can you show us the front of the bar too.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  15. kiona

kiona Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Has anyone who bought jewellery or particated in a silver swap with Carlo, had their item(s) tested yet? I probably won't have time today but will try to get down to the jewellery store tomorrow and have the necklace I purchased tested.

Seven of nine likes this.
  16. Bear Metal

These are old pics as the bar is since in storage so front pic isn't as good. It was purchased less than 2 years ago, right facing swan, black certi-card so newer type. the bar doesn't rattle at all but note this is not a 1 oz bar so the dies will be different.

20170907_130435.jpg

17. leo25

18. leo25

Ok, like i said i've had no direct contact with the 100g so can't really make a comment. But worth noting that the image on APMEX's site shows no overlapping even on the 100g bar.
    http://www.images-apmex.com/images/Catalog Images/Products/78889_A.jpg?v=20160318030244&width=900&height=900

19. Bear Metal

20. Bullion_ron

Bullion_ron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Naming publicly never goes well. I too have a recent name and address but will not disclose that unless required, and only to a moderator