Gloom and Doom for Oz Thread

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by JulieW, Jul 27, 2015.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I thought it might be a good idea to actually consolidate all the prognostications.

Positive news welcomed. (rises in house prices aside :D).

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gloomy but delayed:

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well thank heavens for...

so I had better watch out ...

So more vague stories of some sort of collapse sometime in the indeterminate future. Better pack my panicking hat.

I understand that they have to sell subscriptions but I have 'calamity fatigue'.

When it happens I will deal with it as best I can, in the meantime, all the doom saying is doing nothing but getting everyone depressed. How can we live in a country with this much wide open land, beautiful beaches and fantastic weather and yet still talk ourselves into a depressive state? I believe people will do whatever they can to ruin a good thing whenever they see it. Turned off the TV and Radio years ago, haven't picked up a newspaper in decades, if it is really important I will hear about it, everything else is just noise made to sell me stuff I don't want.

forgedinfire likes this.
  4. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

Same here, I tuned out completely over a year ago and am much happier for it. Sold my TV and pay very little attention to news that doesn't directly relate to me.

What happens will happen. I just try to do alright for myself and my family and avoid the 'noise'.

5. Rick SA

Rick SA New Member

Jislizard...we have the same stories in South Africa...doom and gloomers.

6. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Then we have the other side...Boomers and Growers. The economy is great, unemployment is steady, green shoots appearing, hope eternal that the economy must grow.

MSM giving us great coverage on reality TV shows, best singers, how to renovate houses etc. Then sport is the drug of the working class.

Do they give you THE BAD NEWS like 47 million people getting food stamps in the US distributed by J P MORGAN.

Yes you can stop reading the papers, stop watching TV and you will feel much better not watching the horror of never ending wars..Remember the countries that supply the arms to all the armies. The more they sell, the better their economy. If you dont know such things, there is no need to worry.

The US IS $18,000,000,000,000 IN DEBT... How often is that figure quoted on MSM.

I believe that our western societies are in deep trouble but the general population don't know it yet... In my heart,I hope it never happens but my head tells me otherwise.

Someone IS GOING TO BE RIGHT, but who, that is the question. When and if the economy collapses, that is another question.

Why do I have house insurance? Because if my house burns down, I can rebuild another.

My thinking is, if the economy goes down, then my silver stack is part of my insurance package.

Regards Errol 43

7. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Things is good in Australia.
    No wars.
    Apart from houses everything's cheap.
    Amazed walking around supermarkets , bread for a dollar, apples for $2 a kilo.
    Free hospital..
    Good working conditions..
    Lots of sun, relatively un polluted, not so cold.
    People love to complain.

We're rich.
    If we lose half of it we'd be still rich.

House likes this.
  8. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Australia will be Greece 2.0 start saving now so you can buy the barrier reef in a few years.. I think any government that can't balance it's books after 2 years should be made to immediately stand down. As it's paramount to treason.

9. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

No wars? What is the private sector debt?

Regards Errol 43

10. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

To get to the top one must start from the bottom

11. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fixed it for ya.

13. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And the beat goes on... everlasting....

CapEx Cliff is no more. +0.8 per cent quarterly increase to $28.3 billion for private new CapEx.

+17.6% bounce in the third estimate for FY2017-18 capital expenditure to just under $102 billion (against market expectations).

Unemployment steadily declining. Job ads in says up 12% on last year.

S&P reported a drop in loan delinquencies from 1.21 per cent in May to just 1.15 per cent in June. 90 per cent of apartment completions have already settled, with a default rate of under 1 per cent.

Copper up 50% from last year. Iron ore, zinc, aluminium and nickel all moving higher.

Sydney created 71,001 jobs in the first 7 months of 2017. Melbourne 60,036. Brisbane 19.789.

90%+ LVR' loans down from ~10% to 5%.

:)

Agnostic likes this.
  14. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Be glad you live in Oz and not the divided states/people of America or suicidal Europe.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  15. PM

PM Active Member Silver Stacker

As my brother inlaw points out to me. The Apple store is always busy and people are still buying coffee. Positive stuff

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  16. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When I saw the heading "Gloom and Doom for Oz Thread" I thought when, where and who?

I tried getting floor tilers into my house to do the floor, 3 weeks wait. New blinds took 4 weeks to get installed-too much back log they said. Go to the club, car park is full and people are giving the pokies a bit of a bash. Flights and cruises are close to fully booked, seems to be a bit moola floating around.

On any given day there is no shortage of customers in cafes buying $4 coffees and expensive meals. And don't forget the supermarkets, always a queue to get out, people everywhere. I forgot to mention the local cafe got a sign up "Barista wanted" and it's still up. No one inquired.

I think Australia and it's people are doing very well in the world and I also agree with the poster further up from here who said how good we got it with our medicare. Totally free no matter who or what status you are, free for all citizens. That and many more reasons to live here.

28 Degrees on the 3rd day of spring, and all the Fathers out there down the beach or on the waterfront enjoying some quality times with their families. It's a pretty good joint this place.

l***g, JulieW and House like this.
  17. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

There is no such thing as free public health care. ;)

willrocks likes this.
  18. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

leo25 and PM like this.
  19. Silverling

Ahhhhh yes we pay tax to fund it. So do the Americans but look at the 10's of thousands of dollars they pay for insurance and procedures, that's the difference. Here a homeless person can get free state of the art cancer treatment from a public hospital. I would never trade that for anything.;)

20. Silverling

^^Yes that's right, now Medicare even pays $400 for prosthesis for a breast that has been removed. We are so blessed in this country that we don't have to sell our house to get life saving surgery.