To grade a coin or leave it to omp?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by andrewlee10, Jul 26, 2017.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Majority of my American and Britain customers love to grade their coin and thinking high grade are equal to quality of the coin.

What is your view? what circumstance you will grade the coin and what circumstance you will keep in omp? Why?

2. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

honestly I like the panda packaging as they come in capsule and plastic sleeve.as long as the plastic sleeve is not broken you can be sure the coin has not been touched. once out of that package that is when collectors sending them for grading to make sure the quality is still there.I talked to guys in the states who are collecting s1 proofs and some of them only care about the coin being graded-does not matter if no box or coa present. I prefer collectable coins as issued by the mint.That has the real value for me.Having said this the best thing is to have the coin as issued by the mint and send it for grading to preserve quality.Much better chance having a high return when comes to selling.

3. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If they are sealed omp then they can wait to be graded but I prefer the NGC.
    I wonder at the boxes & coa thet I have accumulated - they take up space & some boxes are odd. I'm dragging some stuff out soon to check & will put some pics up.

4. andrewlee10

Many hope to grade it and get 70 and flip.

The perception of 70 is good quality of a coin has been instill by various parties to collectors especially newbies.

Do grading results means the design is good? simple answer even from the 3rd party grading companies statements in the webpage IT IS NOT.

I has graded few hundred coins per year for sell, helping customers and friends and for my own collections. Grading results is partly depending on grader mood.

If they can label the items wrongly it can be happen to all other things.

5. andrewlee10

I have boxes and coa which i always hard to find as when then item sold.

STC likes this.
  6. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

It depends on lots of factors as to whether I prefer graded or not. One major factor is if I purchased it on eBay and I'm not certain of the authenticity or condition. Another factor is if I feel it needs conserving.

serial and STC like this.
  7. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

STC let me know about boxes and coa.Thanks

8. STC

Because I bought many long ago I stored boxes & Coa in cardboard cartons.
    An example is Wheels of 2005 Expo Panda. Is the wheel omp? Each has seperate box & coa. It builds up. Everything is written in mandarin so afraid of mixing up.
    I took photo of each order & contents on arrival but have to sort through them.
    IMG_0277.JPG Boxes below are a few I have acquired.

Recieved a 1997 1oz Ag Panda in this little beauty. Box origins unknown. I also have another somewhere that is 1 & 1/2 coins combined - 1996 or 1997. Mrs claims anything she likes.. she likes shoes & shiny things.
    IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0286.JPG

Omp GOW
    IMG_0287.JPG IMG_0288.JPG

Mordern Boxes. IMG_0290.JPG

I've noticed the Xi-She has different boxes, some wood, others clam.

I ask for detail pics before I buy anything & if it's not 100% & I can't exchange it I sell it on eBay. I am very fussy about things like this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Coins A-Z and Stark like this.
  9. andrewlee10

Many non standard boxes are from distributors especially early years panda. However all are good.

Panda coin selling in early years mainly to obtain foreign currency like North Korea.

I like the panda box which look cute but no space for it :(

STC likes this.
  10. STC

Living in Australia it would worry me to send in for grading to the USA.
    We have gst hurdles, submission costs, postal cost, RISK because you send multiple of your best items & imagine losing parcel omg!!

Going to a dealer or associate would mean a lot of trust. Possible that they may have multiple of the coin you wish to grade & keep best for themselves.

Some coin have special appeal being omp, I feel that way about 89 GOW, Unicorns, Kung-fu Panda, guanyin, 5oz panda. I don't know why. Eye appeal. I keep looking at Proof Panda in my avatar because it's such a nice coin, I have other 1990 but this one just has something about it?

IMG_0280.JPG

But with-out doubt I prefer graded for most & NGC over PCGS. Too many labels now!

MrLee - depending on graders mood scares me. I know ppl re-send for better grade.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  11. andrewlee10

I have one china friend who specialize in buying and selling proof and specimen china circulating coin which profit margin are lucrative if you able to get a good grade omp with low price and grade it as high grade.

He did a statistics with group of collectors which take xx time for PCGS and xx times for NGC to upgrade a coin to higher grade.

Why it can upgrade and go higher or lower grade over times if it is same coin grade by same company ? This tell us somethings must be wrong.

12. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Most of time, ppl resend coin to a totally different grader, as the original grade has a image copy of what they graded...

STC - that 1990 panda looks weird on the eyes... is it genuine? I'm not trying to offend you on this...

STC likes this.
  13. STC

Who knows. Find out when NGC set up an office in Australia.

I think this sums it up well:
    If it's omp it may not be a real panda... or maby a 70...

And when someone gets a poor grade - if they pop it out to resend - could a fake be put in its place? Is it possible? If it is then someone could resubmitt a 70 bare & even if it comes back a 67 it's a bonus. My mind boggles.

Reality is that even though I love this particular bear - as it's unmarked I may be picking different each time I choose from the pack. I'm probably bias or over zealous. Too much ogoling.

But you are right, normally if you have multiple of the same item & 1 looks "different" - it's a fake. I see your point & wise words.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Coins A-Z likes this.
  14. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

If the TPG slab is sealed correctly by the TPG, there's no way (that I'm aware of) to just pop out the coin without damaging the slab in some way. So no, one can not re-use an old slab without there being some obvious visual clues that the slab is compromised.

My guess is that Australia will soon get a TPG whether NGC, PCGS, or a new proprietary one based exclusively in Australia. If the latter is the case, who knows how other markets like the U.S., China, and Europe would react. But if NGC or PCGS, then we know these markets already have fairly wide acceptance of these established TPG's.

BTW, that wood glass insert panda box is really nice. I do like many of the OMP that comes with many of my coins and medals....some better than others of course and I always prefer wood boxes over pressed board/cardboard.

15. andrewlee10

The older proof panda always come with good looking boxes

16. PQPanda-MD

PQPanda-MD New Member

I am fairly new to Pandas and have not accumulated a vast assortment of OMPs and COAs. I do love the quality of packaging, unlike the US and other countries. With that being said, I do agree with STC about getting lost in keeping all the boxes and COAs straight. Also the space it takes to store all of them.

Now back to the question of grade or not grade, my preference is to grade. Yes, we have to buy the coin and not the plastic, so you have to be picky about what you buy. And yes, we have to play the grading game when submitting our coins. My hope is over time, I end up with great coins correctly graded for my collection. For Pandas, my grading preference is NGC.

17. andrewlee10

Many prefer China coins to grade by NGC instead of PCGS.

However, NGC has many issues of labeling. It is a hassle for overseas customers to send back to get label correct. On top of it, it increase costs and time to communicate with NGC poor customer services. However, there also no big differences with other 3rd party grading companies. oligopoly lead to this situation.