Private Mint demon slayer medal at low price with not up to standard quality

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by andrewlee10, Jul 1, 2017.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Private Mint demon slayer medal at low price with not up to standard quality. It is ugly in my eyes bUT damn cheap if you intend to flip. Panda can be minted for almost same price due to non official mint and using medal technology to mint a non fiat coin.

Mintage 188
    Material Brass/copper/30 g silver

with coa no box

price of copper is USD 28 brass at USD28

Silver at USD43.

Not expect much quality with low price items.

upload_2017-7-1_20-17-0.png

upload_2017-7-1_20-17-32.png

upload_2017-7-1_20-19-24.png

upload_2017-7-1_20-19-42.png

Coins A-Z likes this.
  2. perfulator

perfulator Member

No wonder medals from the unofficial mints can be sold for nothing then. I guess the competition is hard between them and without the regulations for the official mints, it' s rather how low can you get. Will we have medal bullions? What a contradiction.

3. andrewlee10

It can be high quality item from private mint and low quality too.

Private mint is operating as commercial company which do the job as the sponsor ask. Tim, Dick and Jerry can ask them to mint it if you want them to do from design to minting. However, you might loss control of it.

Government Mint which states clearly the material, weight and purity of the metal in coa or/and medal.

Private mint might or might not do so. The coa can be in Mandarin which majority of foreigners do not understand it.

Example :-

银 means silver. However it does not states the purity of the silver.
    纯银 means high purity silver which imply .999 silver.

Generally, Official mints in China do not use the "ambiguous wording" for the purity of the metal content because they have assurance on it as comparing to commercial company.

Thus, it better ensure the coa state the purity of the metal as when purchase private mint medal.

4. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

I buy bullion and high quality numismatic collectible items from private mints in the U.S., I don't see it as a problem to buy medals from private mints in China.

5. andrewlee10

There is no problem to buy the item you like it as long as it is your own decision. None can question on it as my personal view.

One will view a design look ugly another will say it is a beauty.

It is hard to define high quality individually as everyone of us are unique.

Personally, I prefer private mint to stated clearly in coa rather than using the "ambiguous wording" in coa. However, this is a wishful thimking only because private mint is less regulated and privately operated.

I did hoard certain private mints item as you known. I love the item till now and not yet willing to part away.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Come on missing, the private mints are only good when Andy is buying his items from these mints, otherwise it's all garbage quality. LMAO. Let's see how NGC grades the pieces that just came out. At least these pandas don't have a tail for leg, and they're not spotted, and they don't cost a fortune. Oh, but the quality isn't as a good, yawn.

If these private mints were producing lousy products, why sell this one HIGHER than he is selling his TOH2 silver for (no ebay fees)? I don't think I've seen any of these Trigos have spots on them, have you missing?

https://www.numicconnection.com/sho...ngc-pf70-c77c556a-e07f-42e4-a1e5-85b6739043d7

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  7. perfulator

perfulator Member

Grumpy today? So its NGC who decide if a medal is good? We sure have different views...

8. barsenault

It's what makes the world turn Perf. No, but Andy is trying to bring disrepute to private mints, and I'm saying, let the big shops authenticate what is real and what is not, instead of someone throwing speculating thoughts out there. Where's the evidence of a mint doing this? Oh, but it is probable. Oh, okay, but, so is flying to the moon. And I forgot, Andy has no ulterior motives by making these comments, right? I mean, he's making these comments for the good of mankind. Give me a break.

9. andrewlee10

No mints can totally avoid white spot which is known as mentioned in my comments in another thread as link below #10. My sponsor item cannot run away this too and no mint can say they have totally no white spot issue. However, a return and replacement policy does offer by mint and some dealers.

https://www.silverstackers.com/foru...intage-medals-for-grading.85243/#post-1018911

Read the footnote and the whole thread and some other threads which you will know the story of it.

upload_2017-7-17_9-52-48.png

upload_2017-7-17_9-54-8.png

upload_2017-7-17_9-54-33.png

upload_2017-7-17_9-55-29.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    barsenault likes this.
  10. barsenault

Nice pictures. Hence why I'm choosing to go back to what I did at first. Play the spot price rather than worry about these expensive pieces getting spots. #nothanks. At least with bullion coins, if spots happen, I'm down to the price of melt of the precious metal. To have this happen to collectibles, and be down to the price of spot, folk can lose hundreds if not thousands. Too risky for me. I'll keep what I have, but moving forward, no more. I'll go back to semi-numi and govt issued coins (low premium via ownx.com), and one or two collectibles that I really like, and be done with it. That is some scary poop (pictures) right there...probably too scary for some, and if anyone was on the fence to buy collectibles, whether yours or Lucky's or someone else, you've probably just scared the daylights out of them, and they'll never buy stuff like this. :( The people that need to be reading this stuff and seeing it are the sponsors and dealers, and they need to send the clarion call to the mints to change their ways or they will lose a lot of business. They've lost my business, for sure. Don't tell us it's not possible to produce consistently clean medals/coins. Look at the Canadian mint Collectibles. I haven't seen too many people post pictures of spots on their stuff. They're doing something right. Why can't the Chinese mints follow suit?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  11. DislikeFiat

DislikeFiat New Member

Wow! Wow! Wow! What a drama and soap opera happening here! I am sure both government mint and private mints have their own customers else both of them will not exist. Government mints should have strict regulations on what they can and cannot do. On the other hand, the private mints have the ability to be flexible and do stuff that government mints cannot do since they are not regulated. But this also means it can be good or bad.

For example, I would want my metals to have Ag .999 and not to have this important few characters left out on the medals. It would be good if someone here can take one of the private mint medals without Ag .999 and measure the purity and share the results here and see if the result is .999 or .995 or .925 or even 0.750. I am curious to know myself. The sigmametalytics precious metal verifier can do this without damaging the medals and coins.

Second, white spots – no mints immune to them…both private or government….I even had recent year Britannias that spotted and haze almost immediately and I don’t think that the UK’s Royal Mint is a lousy mint. As long as dealers and sellers agrees to exchange or refund within X days of receiving, I think those dealers are worth doing business with. I have been a collector of Andy’s stuff for quite some time now. Whenever, I receive a defective item (which is rare), he is always willing to replace or refund. I received a temple of heaven 2 with a cracked capsule yesterday and he says he will ship me a replacement on this coming Friday.

Collectibles are rare and can be pricey. The 1804 silver dollar is highly collectible. Intense bidding on it push the price to almost USD10,000,000 and collectors do not care if they spot or not. There’s a YouTube on this auction by Sotheby’s .
    No risk, no gain! One less buyer for Andy's stuff means less competition to acquire them at even better pricing!

upload_2017-7-18_11-52-56.png

12. barsenault

Well, had some folks look at the pictures Andrew Lee sent regarding the spotted copper piece, and they are pretty confident that those pieces were tampered with (i.e. someone intentionally created spots to prove a point?). I've been at this for a number of years, (I'm no expert), but I'd have to agree, the spotting on the copper piece looks a little unusual.

13. andrewlee10

Try harder lol.