Chinese Silver ingot "yuanbao"

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by MarkovProcess, May 27, 2017.

1. MarkovProcess

MarkovProcess Member

Hello stackers, I noticed that in not many people have stacked or seen this type of ingot. This is money used by Chinese people for ages. In China, it is called "yuanbao", meaning something very precious and essential. Here is a couple photos of them. I have bought one from china. The first picture is from google, the other two is my Yuanbao. I absolutely love these ingots.

Attached Files:

2. greedy Kobold

greedy Kobold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can you provide approximate pricing for 50g, 100g, 200g?
    The ones that I see on Ebay cost ridiculous moneyo_O

As I understand, there are official and non-official (commecial) ones, correct?
    Or there are some informal gradation by Mint.
    i.e. some might prefer Pert Mint over RCM
    :)

3. MarkovProcess

MarkovProcess Member

That one is 100g. I bought it from China for $100 when the spot was low. My friend will take it to me when she comes to Australia. I know the price on ebay is ridiculous. That is why I am wondering if someone are interested then I can buy a few more from China. Those are 999 silver commercial products. I don't think they are famous companies worldwide. People in China love them and invest on them but it is not mainstream outside of China. I personally like the shape lol.

4. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

Those yuanboa are interesting though I do seem to be drawn more toward Chinese medals now more than I am other Chinese numismatic or precious metals products. But thank you for sharing.

MarkovProcess likes this.
  5. Bear Metal

Bear Metal Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd buy one for a reasonable price. Another name is a "Sycee", I only saw the first gold one for sale here a few weeks ago. They look interesting and I believe they can carry different Chinese symbols symbolising different things ie lunar years and probably much much more...

I would buy one from you for like I said a reasonable price, silver is still "low". And I would think if you bought say 10 you would be able to sell them here, may take some time or may fly out the door.

Any more info on markings and which ones you could get would be beneficial to sale also (me too:D as long as 999...)

Cheers,

BM.

6. whay

whay Well-Known Member

Buying modern yuanboa is a minefield. Many are fakes and some are hollow or .925 sterling silver. Those shown in the pictures by OP are modern replicas and not the actually 'money' used in ancient China. Visit the link below to see some actual Chinese Gold and Silver Sycee -

http://www.chancientcoins.com/nsort.asp?nsort_id=19

7. MarkovProcess

MarkovProcess Member

Yeah, they are not antique. Like all the coins, there are some fake ones out there. But for me, I won't buy fake ones or hollow ones. I only chose to buy from popular online dealer who has at least hundreds of sales record. And I usually only buy one and test them using density test, then I will probably buy more. The link you present here, I would say that they are more like antique rather than silver.

8. whay

whay Well-Known Member

They are definitely silver as they are used in the past centuries as real money. With the vintage, of course they are considered antique now. These ancient Silver/Gold ingot and coins were are real 'currency' in their time. Modern replicas of yuanbao are just silver not 'money'.

9. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

Becareful on that chancientcoins site mate, seems to me a lot of list items are fakes.

11. sodl

sodl Well-Known Member

WARNING !
    Do not buy any new or old forms of Chinese silver yuanbao , bars , ingots , coins , from ebay. They are all fakes and are mostly 98% zinc. They may look worn and genuine but they are fake replicas.
    You need to test with an XRF to confirm silver content. The newer looking ones may or may not contain silver even if they have 925 on them.

12. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker