The beginning of the end...

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Gatito Bandito, May 16, 2017.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

No further need to pump these high-relief Chinese medals anymore.

Finally got what we wanted, right?

Only the first step.

But it certainly won't be the last, for these large American corporate dealers.

Hope you enjoyed it while it lasted...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-S-Chin...ird-Lizard-NGC-MS70-FR-SKU44556-/132193221212

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-S-China-High-Relief-Matte-Brass-Bird-Lizard-Medal-NGC-MS69-SKU44835-/142384133923

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-S-Chin...zard-Medal-NGC-MS70-FR-SKU44552-/132193159559

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Is this the same piece? One has 1000 mintage, the other 500. Did they increase mintage? Are these two separate pieces?

Never mind, I see, brass is 1000. Lol.

Attached Files:

3. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

Wow, really nice high relief Chinese medals. I wonder where the market for these types of medals is strongest? Does Australia have a strong market for these medals? I'm assuming that China and the U.S. are top markets....but is my assumption correct?

4. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As my sold transactions were from:-

China, Singapore, Malaysia, USA, France, German, Italy, Holland, Austria, Finland, Swiss, Spain, Indonesia, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, UK and Scotland

Coins A-Z likes this.
  5. numistacker

numistacker Member

If the large corporate dealers do show an increasing interest then this is a good thing for all as it means that the low mintage years of 2014-2017 will be seen in hindsight as t2014,2015 he golden era. When a few people focus on differential mintages then crazy things start to happen. Look at the doubling in price of the Perth 2oz Lunar monkey or the 2017 swan! It really would not take much for Nanjing Mint 2014 2015 and 2016 to double or more. I am also looking at the Panda Lunar 2015, 2016 and 2017 to show some good price appreciation and for mintages to rise.

6. andrewlee10

Recently I did trade and bought back from 2 collectors of panda goat silver. I also look into other MCC and antique monkey for trade.

I got 8 pieces panda goat silver proof and sold 6 to one reseller and he can sell it with decent margin.

7. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Everything that people hate about these large American corporate dealers, will begin to be applied to the cool high-relief Chinese medals. Do you really want that? I sure as hell don't.

Also, actual mintages will shoot up, making your rare Chinese medals not so "rare." Prices will shoot up. Availability will go down, due to increased demand via corporate marketing. And at some point, perhaps MCM will start selling some raw ones, too... You know, the grading rejects -- like they already do with coins.

Apmex & others are now sure to follow suit. Oh, yay.

And you don't think the sponsors & Chinese mints will jump at the chance to mint the remaining mintages, when the large corporate dealers with deep pockets come knocking at their door? Poof! There goes your "low" mintage of earlier issues.

You do *not* want the large American corporate dealers taking over this game, trust me. They will control the design. They will control the quality. They will control the pricing. They will control the entire mintages thru exclusive contracts. They will control the availability. And it will not be a fun thing or a good thing for anybody -- and that includes your current crop of sponsors & resellers/value-adders, Chinese & non-Chinese, alike... whom they will simply bypass in due time.

This does not bode well for the future of these Chinese medals, including as a collector.

But hey, as a flipper? Maybe a small window for a shot at making a few quick fiat bucks. And that's what it's all about, right?? Because as we all know, that's exactly what this industry needs -- more freakin' flippers & pump-and-dumpers.

Oh, we still have *some* time. It won't happen overnight. Then again, things can & do move rather quickly in this internet age. But this train has already officially left the station.

This is the beginning of the end of what once was a beautiful thing. It didn't have to be this way; it was not inevitable. It could have continued for years, just the way it was.

Fortunately, I have other diversified interests in this kind of PM-related stuff. However, I wisely keep my mouth shut about those. ;)

Coins A-Z and andrewlee10 like this.
  8. andrewlee10

Diversify always important for all types of investment.

Everywhere Have flippers which you need to identify it and make your own decision.

9. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

I agree with those who suggest that diversification can be a good way to invest one's money if looking at long term appreciation/depreciation of value(though of course investing in the 1 right coin or medal could be a very successful way to invest but that requires a good deal of experience and smarts mixed with ample luck). As a collector, it goes without say in my view that diversification makes a lot of sense.

Obviously, being ahead of the curve in terms of popularity of certain types of products is where you want to be if you are into flipping collectable coins and medals. But that's not the only factor to consider....timing (when exactly) to flip is crucial too if looking to maximize gains. There are windows of opportunity that the flipper needs to be as right as possible about guessing when they are playing the flipping game. You miss that opportunity and it could be a long time before the next good opportunity to flip that product comes along (if it comes along another time at all).