Would/should you buy Litecoins?

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by TreasureHunter, Mar 12, 2017.

1. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Hi,

With Bitcoin skyrocketing (again, bubble for sure!), which other cryptocoins would be your next choices?

There are loads, but in the beginning, Litecoin used to be the second choice after Bitcoin. I don't know any 'serious' places/companies accepting Litecoin.

I think Litcoin's price looks nice: 3.8 USD, so it is very affordable.

Does Litecoin have any future?

Should anyone buy Litecoins?

Or just collect 0.00001. Bitcoins and add them up one-by-one?

2. camylopez

camylopez Member Silver Stacker

advice in digital currencies are just speculation, always do your own research.
    however, dash is looking good, and if you can get enough to host your own node can earn interest on it

3. TreasureHunter

^
    I was only thinking about speculating... I think I should have bought Bitcoins when they cost 27-30 USD :)

I think Litecoin looks like the "next thing" after them.

4. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Look at Ethereum and the other coins based on them. Lots of up and coming coins with new technologies and potential.

5. TreasureHunter

So far, no-one said anything good about Litecoin... :D Starts well :p

6. camylopez

camylopez Member Silver Stacker

litecoin has had its day.
    for the coin to be valuable, it needs a use. litecoins use as a currency is not all that great. While it can be used at a fair few sites, most those sites will accept other alts as well, so it isnt a stand out.
    personally, i consider it a stable currency, but not an investment vehicle.
    look for coins that are cornering a market or an idea. eth in my opinion is another scamcoin, invest if you trust the developers, but in my mind they have shown their not to be trusted.
    dash, has places accepting it, its more annon, and does not need expensive mining. price has also been climbing steadily.

7. TreasureHunter

Pretty much all are just experimental coins, scam coins or "wannabe the next big thing coins"...

It looks like it's really not worth buying anything else than Bitcoin.

8. bking3975

bking3975 Member

Try ethereum, monero or dash. One of those has the potential to replace Bitcoin if its problems are not solved. (fighting in the development community, long confirmation times, spam transactions ect..)

If i had to pick one it would be ethereum. To get some litecoin you could try a faucet like moon litecoin, but you have to click everyday to make it worthwhile.

9. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

If Bitcoin can sort out the scaling debate it will skyrocket. It may crash due to a hard fork situation and nerves over a two chains happening in the coming year or so, but it will recover.
    If Litecoin enable segwit (as a trial for bitcoin)..Litecoin will skyrocket....but Litecoin development sucks overall.
    DASH is really nailing things behind the scenes making a traditional bank like feel to the tech/ marketing emphasis / financial incentives / DASH Evolution tech due to come later this year!. The tech and development is advancing and many ppl realise this. I am positive the market cap will surpass 1 billion USD this year.
    Ethereum has programmer Vitalik Buterin and many other gifted nerds working on it. This ppl are specualting where the nerds are.
    Monero - I don't know a whole lot about it. The transactions are private (like DASH).
    This is NOT financial advice.

10. TreasureHunter

Seems like Litecoins aren't a good buy :D

11. Altima

Hmm, seems like we might be having a possible forking of bitcoin:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitc...ts-bitcoin-unlimited-scaling-gridlock-deepens

12. TreasureHunter

The interfaces of these cryptocoins are too "unfriendly" to the greater public and the usage of the cryptocoins is too difficult.

I think someone will come up with something new, sor-of-a Bitcoin 2.0? If they find a better reason for using it, people will flock to it in no time.

I am still surprised how Bitcoin recovered after the closing down of Mt.Gox and the previous bubble.

13. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm catching up in this space and finding out some interesting things.

Not touching Litecoin at all. I've read up about SegWit (Segregated Witness) which has been generating some price interest recently, but it looks to me like not much more than a dirty hack. I have a software development background and it seems to be a band aid solution. Litecoin historically has just been a Bitcoin clone and I think the community is happy to use Litecoin as a test case for SegWit because Bitcoin community are arguing about the way forward and they hope Litecoin will show the way forward (or NOT the way forward). To my eye Litecoin is doing nothing exciting or new and may well be broken by a poor SegWit implementation.

I have been getting excited by Dash and what they are doing. A lot of problems with Bitcoin are being addressed with Dash and they seem like a more agile and innovative team working on it. Bitcoin has significant inertia at the moment and with the community arguing over the future direction I don't see its scalability issues being resolved any time soon.

14. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Appears LTC was a good buy. I've been loaded up since about 8$. The segwit is not a dirty hack. ltc doesn't even need Segwit but BTC does. Basically what are doing is since they are a slightly better clone of bitcoin and bitcoin has not resolved their issues they decided to start going forward with all the the things bitcoin should be doing. That is whats driving the price up.

Now that Segwit is locked in and due to begin in 10 days it has unlocked other possibility like the use of lightning nodes that make payments nearly instant. They are integrating that immediately after segwit completes. IMO I think the price is going to at least double shortly.

15. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The last 2 weeks I’ve seen LTC go from $11 to $17 USD, which is decent but I don’t see a lot of substance behind the move.

You admit that LTC doesn’t even need to implement SegWit, so why are they doing it? If you were looking to invest in a company about to make an operational change that has an implementation risk with no real benefit to them….that is only likely to benefit a rival company, would you invest in it? I think LTC has its priorities wrong and the market is rewarding it only because it is going to be “first to market” with SegWit and I’m sure many hope that if it works for LTC it might be implemented for BTC to clear their short term scalability roadblock but I maintain the recent price action is mostly hype and froth. Many of the alt-coins have had massive gains in 2017 so far so I don’t see LTC as a standout.

I still maintain SegWit is a hack, a band-aid solution. The funny thing about hacks is that they are often supported by management (or markets) as a short term fix with short term benefit. It’s only the long term when the value dissipates. Hacks can introduce what is called “technical debt” that can be problematic to deal with down the road.

Maybe they’ll get away with it, but I suspect LTC will lose relevance once others jump on the SegWit bandwagon and the short term benefit (if there actually is any) wears off.

The most interesting thing in the LTC space at the moment is the Lightning Network stuff. Really, it is the instantaneous transaction technology that’s needed to bring crypto to the mainstream. The DASH clones are working with InstantSend and the Lightning Network might turn out to be a viable competitor to that but I think it might be running in 2nd place for now.

Good luck to you if you’ve made money on LTC though. DYOR. :)

Altima likes this.
  16. markc

markc Member

It will be interesting to see if LTC follows BTC lead and reaches or surpasses its all time high. I've been holding since $5.

17. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Only benefit to them from segwit is they can now to lightning nodes which makes payments almost instant. That is pretty valuable considering the time Bitcoin takes forever.

Segwit and all other things aside I believe Litecoin would reach these levels regardless due to all the new money moving into the cryptos this year. Japan just made Bitcoin legally recognized currency and the SBI asia is opening over 10 exchanges where they can trade for cryptos directly with the yuan and they have removed the taxes to due so. That is what caused the huge bitcoin rise today. . Litecoin being in the top 5 will certainly be invested into with some of this new money. Who know but we can check back in a year.

I'm going on record guessing atleast $50 usd by the end of this year.

18. markc

markc Member

It may hit $50USD in the coming days as it spiked to $36USD on GDAX earlier today

19. markc

markc Member

Hovering around $30USD

[​IMG]

20. Altima