Lunar monkey 2016 colorized total mintages are very very small

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by MoralHazard, Apr 29, 2017.

1. MoralHazard

MoralHazard Member

Hi there

I just noticed that Perth Mint had published their 2016 numismatic mintages at the end of March:

http://www.perthmint.com.au/documen...nt Numismatic Lunar Coins Sales to 311216.pdf

What paid my attention was the points: First of all 2 oz colorized lunar monkey has the smallest mintage of ANY lunar 2 oz coins - even smaller than the 2 oz mouse. I know Perth Mint had some production issues with 2 oz coin blanks for non-colorized monkeys and that was one of the reasons why their mintage ended up being third smallest of all years. This same must only been amplified with the 2 oz colorized coins.

Secondly kilo colorized monkeys has just a tiny mintage of 30 coins!!!! Can this be for real? I have never seen one of colorized kilo monkeys being sold anywhere in eBay or any other sites either.

Should 2 oz and kilo monkeys be very good coins from investment point of view?

Holdfast likes this.
  2. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Generally speaking, most coloured Lunar's don't carry great numismatic value. Buyers are much more interested in the standard bullion versions and not so much the coloured ones.

They obviously carry value, but I couldn't imagine much of a profit being made from the coloured coins you mentioned, even with their low mintage

I dare say their low mintage is a reflection of their demand, or more so lack thereof

Holdfast likes this.
  3. MoralHazard

MoralHazard Member

It was not long time ago when you could buy 2 oz colorized Lunar monkeys and roosters for cheaper price than than the standard bullion version from Germany. Currently such deals do not exist anymore. I remember a dealer was selling 2 oz monkeys for 42€/piece about one month ago when silver was hovering at atound same price it is now. To me this sounds like a big bargain. I did not pull the trigger but retrospectively I think I should have.

Looking at the eBay sales it seems as the 2 oz colorized coins appreciate on average more than the standard bullion version. For example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2oz-Lunar-Year-Of-The-Mouse-999-Fine-Silver-Coloured-Bullion-Coin-/302182785652?hash=item465b7f6274:g:QoMAAOSwKtlWkO8U&nma=true&si=Y6N4cMyJoDV3WEVPq2LfeMmIJy8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-P-S-2-Australia-2-Oz-Silver-Lunar-Year-Of-The-Snake-Colorized-NGC-MS70-/351958830043?hash=item51f2618bdb:g:aeAAAOSw241YfRdZ&nma=true&si=Y6N4cMyJoDV3WEVPq2LfeMmIJy8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  4. ninteno

ninteno Member

yes they were sold at this low price level. it was to clean out their stock. whe they came to the market i paid more 52€ each. i think min. 50% of the current mintage was going to the german market. at the moment dealers with stock asking 58-65€