2017 Stock Horse is already on presale @ EMK

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SilverSiren, Mar 26, 2017.

1. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

I like the design, a vast improvement over the boring one from last year in my opinion.
    [​IMG]
    Source:EMK

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If I'm not wrong, they brought it along to the coin show that just ended in Singapore. They had a nice variety of coins on display. A pity that the Silver Krugs (Proof and BU) were too pricey.

3. SilverSiren

The Krugerrands aren't even a consideration to me anymore, other than to laugh and scoff. I'll check back to see what sellers are asking for them in a couple years :lol:

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

looks good, but I think the premium is way too high. Okay, not as high as the Krugerrands. Anyone who buys those at the premiums being offered by govt mint and MCM are nuts! I agree, come back in a couple years, folks we be giving them away.

5. 11471147

11471147 Active Member

anyone plan to get any?

6. barsenault

7. SilverSiren

I only like the carded version, and then only when I can get a buddy to order them for me directly from the site since they are offered only to Australians. I gave up on the series after last year since the design was so boring to me. The carded ones do seem to do well in the after market but it takes forever to move them so I guess I'm out.

8. kiona

kiona Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wish they would hire an artist who actually knows how to draw a horse. IMO the designs are disappointing and don't make any attempt to represent the stock horse breed. How about a droving scene or camp drafting pose or something relevant?

9. barsenault

^^^ agreed, after last year, and this one, no thanks. I have some from a few years ago, and the year after, and won't buy any more. I hope the series takes off, lol, so I can make good on the 1st and the 2nd. But these last images are hideous!!

10. PeterS

PeterS Member

I gave up on all these sorts of Perth Mint stuff due to their attitude to milk spot problems.

11. barsenault

actually, don't give up, just go with the antique versions, rarely spots seen, since they scrub the crap out of it. Lol.

12. atlonsa

atlonsa Member

I ordered a couple of dozen.
    As soon as the cards are sold out, the question of the necessity will immediately disappear.

13. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Indeed!:) It seems that antique finishing is better guarantee for a good sleep. :) :p

14. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As these were only available for sale in Australia would some kind fellow stacker please check the Perth Mint website and advise if these have sold out or happen to be still available for sale

Thanks

15. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You can buy them here for $59

http://www.perthmint.com.au/australian-stock-horse-2017-1oz-silver-coin-in-card.aspx

They don't fall under their "Bullion" section - they are in the Numi section so you should be able to buy quite easily

16. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for checking for me and no unable to buy these direct from the Perth Mint outside Australia as they do no appear on the website but have had a fellow Aussie stacker pick them up for me
    Thanks again for the info

17. Sully

Sully Member

EMK, who commissioned the stock horse series, are confirming the 2017 is their final issue in the series.
    Just half of the intended run of 10 years, but a good decision i think. They were struggling with these. Completely their own fault too i believe, by pricing them midpoint between bullion and proof, and trying to convince collectors that a 9,000 mintage justified the higher launch price. A bu launch price at 50% premium over spot is more than enough for any limited mintage BU rather than the 100%++ these actually were, and would have made them more appealing and successful.
    Personally i really like the series anyway and i'll be proud to have the set of five.
    As for milk spotting which someone brought up - rubbish, i have several of each year and not a single spot on any.

An additional 5oz proof will round it off, available soon. All 5 horse designs gilded and incorporated in the design, mintage 500, nice 60mm dia.
    A great finish to the series, imo.
    In summary, a series that struggled to find it's place in the market, with one or two weaker designs, but while not a runaway success it can hold it's head high in the long run.
    5oz proof stock horse.jpg

kiona, SilverSiren and Silverman99 like this.
  18. barsenault

It just goes to show us that these people who think they can do 10 or 20 or a 100 coin series are really not thinking straight. That is a long series to continue. I think 5 is the magic number before folks start to lose interest. I think that last one is a nice touch, might generate some interest in other jumping in. I think the 'stale' look of last years horse eating grass put the nail in the coffin. They had some many other images to choose from, and that was the best they could do. Terrible. I wasn't even tempted to buy one.

Any idea when the 5 oz'er will be available? Thanks. Although if priced ridiculous. No thanks. Lol.

SilverSiren likes this.
  19. Sully

Sully Member

Yes, last years stood out to most people as a lazy bland choice of design. And as 'Kiona' said earlier in this thread, at least a couple of the designs should have been a scene of the stock horse at work, doing what it was known for, and made it a breed apart from the rest.
    The 5oz has a release date of June 6th. Whether the price is ridiculous depends on your own definition. It's just shy of €300 which is about the norm for Perth 5oz proofs.

At least the presentation case is not the normal snap-box for this one. Although i do think it's a missed opportunity from EMK not to have offered the sale of the 5oz in an optional case with 5 empty cut-outs surrounding the 5oz, for placing the 5 Bu 1oz-ers.
    But then, since when do a lot of these companies approaches marry up with the collectors mindset. A lot of the time it's as though they don't understand us at all.
    Or don't want to. Which is just plain stupid. The key to their own success is to listen and take note.
    For starters, they would have indeed guaranteed themselves a very successful 10 year stock horse program if they had picked up on the grumblings that were growing for a minimum of the last two years on the design choices, alone.
    Their marketing departments are no doubt awash with besuited sycophants holding the required degrees, but none of the required sense to understand their target customers, or the fine balancing act between the cultivation of a "hit" or a "miss" specific to coin buyers.

Silverman99, SilverSiren and kiona like this.
  20. barsenault

Amen brother! Amen. Well said. Indeed, with so many choices, their picks are were questionable at the very least. Thanks for letting me know. Can you put a link here when they pop up, please? I'd like to get one. Don't have them all, because I boycotted last year, which by default means, I said forget this year too. :)).

Thanks for the insights. And yes, a stock horse at work...what a novel idea. EMK, get your head out of your butt.

Silverman99 and Sully like this.