New site, new profile, new preferences

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Silver Smurfer, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Silver Smurfer

Silver Smurfer Active Member

Now that you're logged in & nosing about the new site don't forget to check out & update your site/user preferences, here's a few leads to get you started:

Set your timezone: http://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?account/preferences

Set/upload your avatar: http://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar
    Tip - you can save it from the old site same as you'd save an image from any site ;)

Check/Update your privacy settings: http://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?account/privacy

For the security conscious, 2 step verification: http://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?account/two-step
    Verification Code via App - This allows you to generate a verification code using an app on your phone.
    Email Confirmation - This will send a code via email to verify your login. Other two-step verification methods should be chosen over this if possible.​

And for anyone who is having trouble signing in:
    1. Ensure you're using a browser that's able to use cookies: http://www.whatarecookies.com/enable.asp [​IMG]
    2. Still having problems? Try clearing your cookies: http://www.whatarecookies.com/delete.asp [​IMG]
    3. Last resort (this worked for me earlier today):

2. The_Roll_ Man

The_Roll_ Man Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry, but I don't like this 'upgrade' at all.

It's not working for me.

Depending on using a phone or PC, I still get two different sites. My messages are not retained, and unfortunately, at this time, I have no faith that when I send my banking details to a buyer ..... that they are secure !

What was the 'upgrade' ?

I now have less features ... Where's the graphs of PM prices ?

What was 'broken' and why did it need to be 'fixed ' ??

Holdfast likes this.
  3. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker

Yesterday I was able to see my "Message" button but now I cant see it, where is this located ? and where is the "Post A Thread" button located ?

Cheers, HAPPY STACKING :)

4. Silver Smurfer

@goldpelican needed to do this because the old version of FluxxBB really was that old that it posed a number of issues, not least of which were support & security (from a code base perspective).

Your reaction is common & understandable given such a major leap forward in version, it's a lot of change all at once, but try to understand it's a process and one that's still going. As such further developments will occur, among them are a long list of site elements including PM/Exchange graphs. I don't know what the ultimate fate of private messages & feedback will be but I like yourself and everyone else here, inc GP, would like to retain them. We'll have to wait & see what's possible, no doubt GP will not abandon anything so lightly that has seen so much effort invested.

If it helps I'd like to address a couple of issues you mentioned:
    There are now two SS sites concurrently available, to facilitate migration & access to site/user archival materials:
    Make sure you're aware which you're visiting on your device(s), the latter will eventually sleep, forever more...

They are still accessible at the old site, in case GP is unable to migrate them to the new site you should make personal copies of them before the big sleep, which is a while off now, but winter is coming. If you use Firefox, I just so happened to write a guide on how to archive all messages to your computer, find it here: http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...-trading-feedback-with-firefox-scrapbook.html

Why are they less secure via the new site than the old? This is a question, not a challenge.

The new site has a tonne of new features, inc improved WYSIWYG editor & formatting, much higher level of feature integration (just try clicking on keywords, usernames, make @Username user mentions, explore your profile & preferences), here's a few I tried for the 1st time while writing this:
    upload_2017-4-11_20-33-21.png

PLUS I didn't even save then upload then link the image above, I just copied it from MSPAINT where I made it and pasted it directly into the page with Ctrl+V, never even saved it! Neato, yeah? yeah..?

Soon...

FluxxBB, we loved it not too little but too often, and to bits, RIP old girl...

bordsilver, House and Ipv6Ready like this.
  5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think once people get used to, the advantages will soon be apparent.

However some instructions on difference in "Profile Post" and conversation need to be explained compared to the old forum.

As I can see people's private details, I presume members were sending it in Private not realising it is on public view.

6. Silver Smurfer

Don't worry @GRETZKY427 , if you're logged in then your Inbox should be in the top-right corner next to your handle:
    upload_2017-4-11_20-39-15.png

You can also point at your handle to find 'Conversations' and a whole pile of other great stuff:
    upload_2017-4-11_20-42-11.png

7. Silver Smurfer

Hence why I mentioned privacy in 1st post in this thread, privacy is set in user preferences, but there's nothing in there regarding profile posts & their visibility. @goldpelican is it possible to restrict profile posts visibility or disable them altogether? They may become a privacy &/or abuse issue...

Ipv6Ready likes this.
  8. The_Roll_ Man

The_Roll_ Man Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for running through all that.
    Geez, I THOUGHT I knew how to use a computer ...
    I feel like I'm back in the late 1990s ( when I first started to play with these damn things !! )

9. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

I'm new here and so maybe I'm not seeing something that is obvious to most others, but some members have a text signature (a snappy line or quote in grey that appears at the bottom of all their posts). How does one add such a text signature to their own personality here in the forum?

10. Bosse68

Bosse68 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you hold the mousepointer over your name in the upper right corner, you should be able to see "signature"
    just click on it and add your text

Coins A-Z likes this.
  11. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Signatures are only available to paid members. Account upgrades are available through your user profile, starting at $10 USD.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  12. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

Thank you Bosse68 and goldpelican

13. davros100

davros100 Guest

I've been unable to sign into the new site since the change over. I've been getting the message - "The requested user 'Davros10' could not be found."

I sent a couple of messages through the contact us page, but got no reply, so I've created a new (hopefully temporary ) account (Davros100) so as to post this.

Any help?

14. goldpelican

Sent you a message.

Basically any user that had multiple accounts with the same email address (the last forum didn't prohibit that unless the email was banned by an administrator), the accounts were combined and the older name used by the import script.

15. Davros10

Davros10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for that, just checked and all good. Is there a way to remove the temporary -davros100 account?

16. goldpelican

Done

Davros10 likes this.