Whats the most popular silver coins?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Niccoin, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Niccoin

Niccoin New Member

I've been collecting coins for more than 4 years and lately we were having an argue with my friend about the value of investments in new launches or better still go with the old and trusted one series. The market is changing fast, new coins releases come all the time, but actually I pointed for myself the silver coins top list, the most popular and reliable silver coins, which can diversify and protect my numismatic collection and provide a long-term investment. Maybe this would be interesting and helpful for someone else.: 1. American Eagle. It's really timeless series and also this is the most popular silver bullion coin in the world, making it highly liquid. It's also the only silver coin in the world whose weight, content, and purity are backed by the US government. 2.Canadian Maple Leaf. These coins are considered as the most purest silver coins. So, it's wise to add some to your collection. 3. British Britannia. This series was upgraded from .986 silver to pure .999 silver., making this collection much more valuable to be added to any portfolio. 4. Austrian Philharmonic. This coin is just amazing. The artwork is very impressive. This is Europe's leading bullion coin. 5.Mexican Libertad. The silver Mexican Libertad coins are .999-fine silver and are considered to be some of the most beautiful silver coins in the world. 5.Chinese Panda. These coins have an incredibly detailed and unique design making it an attractive investment. So,that's pretty much my list. If I missed something or you have some suggestions, I'd love to get your feedback. I think it would be helpful for someone who just started their investment journey.

2. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

I have a suggestion and that is SILVER IS SILVER and it is only you "collectors" that buy into the likes of Maples being the purest or ASE being backed by the government.
    By all means buy into all the selling points cause it is easier for me to increase margins when i can point these trivial issues out:)

3. Golden

Golden Member

Backed by US Government is more of a turn off than turn on these days.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the SilverStackers forum, Niccoin!

Government issued bullion coins are fine to invest money into but they aren't treated as numismatic collector coins unless they have been graded by a top TPG and grade very high. For recent years ASE's, as the example that comes immediately to mind, that means MS70.

In my view, Australia's Lunar series bullion coins are among the most popular gov't issued bullion....I'd much rather own these than Philharmonics or bullion Britannias.

As for which are more trusted by more people, 1) recognizable gov't issued bullion or 2) blobs....in my view hands down, gov't issued bullion is far more trusted by more people.

Personally, I won't buy blobs from individual sellers but I would buy gov't issued bullion from individuals...and I have, many times. I personally know people who feel the same way I do.

All that said, if your concern is in collector or numismatic coins, that's a whole different set of coins and in my opinion collector coins require a different skill set to try to intelligently predict which will do well and which won't. But I think you are not inquiring about collector coins so I won't even get into that here unless you do want to specifically explore that route.

5. mmissinglink

Gov't issued coins can be highly collectable and "proof" coins are generally considered collector coins. For example, the U.S. Mint issues almost every year in recent years bullion Eagle coins in silver, platinum, and gold. The U.S. Mint also issues proof versions of these coins.

Looking at the American Gold Eagles (AGE), the proof versions are generally minted in significantly lower mintages than the bullion version. There is a collector market for top graded proof AGE's and I found this chart to be helpful:

[​IMG]

6. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

You also have to consider the market where you plan on selling to achieve a sale for a start, and secondly getting a price higher than you paid. Buying and selling on this site exposes you to people that will buy a vast array of pm products. Although you may not get the bet price as a seller of semi-numis/numis, the prices are likely still going to be better than dealers.
    From my experience, if a seller on here has a good track record, I'm much more likely to trust their non-gov 'blob'. I've done it before and it's built my trust further in those I've dealt with. I wouldn't hesitate buying cast ABC, Ainslie or Engelhard bars from members on here.

If/when there's another period of $40-$50 (or more) an oz silver, people are going to scramble like they did last time. We'll see an influx of new members and people will be less scrupulous which will of course open the door to scam artists and fake bullion, but those honest sellers will still be able to sell less recognisable bars at fair market prices and without a great deal of effort.

Consider your timing of buying and selling as well as the market you intend to buy and sell.

7. mmissinglink

^ I agree, it does depend on your particular market.

8. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are some sets of the supposedly "best coins" for different years.

9. Genghicat

Genghicat Active Member

Throwing my 2 cents in, the silver coins I find the best "pure value" are the $10 State Silver coins.

With 20 grams of silver @ 92.5% purity, it means they have approximately 0.6oz of pure silver. So if you buy them, it effectively means the value of your silver will NEVER fall below $16/oz (ignoring the numismatic premium).

If the price of silver ever fell to (say) $5/oz, the silver value of the coin would be around $3, but you could still turn the coin in to the bank for cash and have $10 to spend.

Same with the $200 gold coin. The face value of the coin means you have a floor to the price your gold can fall to.

10. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

I agree - the $10 state coins are great. I assumed the numismatic value would never appreciate, so I ditched all the cumbersome packaging and have these in a plastic container. I bought a "bucket load" years ago. They're actually quite a pretty coin - and varied! Bring back the state coin, I say!

11. Niccoin

Niccoin New Member

Hi, everyone! Thank you for all your recommendations!- I believe that SILVER IS SILVER- correct, but if you wanna consider yourself not only as an investor but also a numismatic, that not the worst choice to be aware of which series would bring you value in the future!

"Australia's Lunar series bullion coins are among the most popular gov't issued bullion....I'd much rather own these than Philharmonics or bullion Britannias. "- I was thinking about Lunar series, but they all mostly about design, than about value! What would be with all this "Monkey, Rooster etc" in several years?

"For example, the U.S. Mint issues almost every year in recent years bullion Eagle coins in silver, platinum, and gold. The U.S. Mint also issues proof versions of these coins." - Yeah, American Eagles are definitely a timeless series and also backed by U.S. government.That makes them top of the market for me! I purchase AE every year! This time it was 2016 1 oz Silver AE 30th Anniversary. Highly praised 30th release! I guess it was an excellent addition to my collection!

"All that said, if your concern is in collector or numismatic coins, that's a whole different set of coins and in my opinion collector coins require a different skill set to try to intelligently predict which will do well and which won't. But I think you are not inquiring about collector coins so I won't even get into that here unless you do want to specifically explore that route."- You know, the market has been so unpredictable lately, a real roller coaster. So, to say what's my particular goal now is pretty tough! After the election gold price drawn down immediately, then silver surprised us all!- I'm trying to be stick with one path for a while and add really worthy bullion, that could cause profit, not a failure.

"^ I agree, it does depend on your particular market." So, what's the best market to play on nowadays? How are you guys trying to protect your collections? And whats your "must have" silver coin in 2017?

12. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I think this is the 100th time we've discussed this. Lol. Welcome Niccoin. Eagles, Phils, Maples and Brits all follow the price of spot closely. You may not get any premium back when you go to sell them. Maybe you'll get little bit of the 2.50-3 you spend to buy those govt bullion coins. There is pretty much zero numismatic value to these. You may spend a little more on Perth Coins such as Kooks or Lunars, but the goal is to get them for about the same price of the eagles and maples. Maybe a little more. But if you are a long-term holder of PM's, as I am, then those lunars and kooks are one of the best to buy. IMHO. They are low mintage bullion (relatively speaking), their design changes every year. If spot goes up to 40, both will of course follow, but if you don't happen to sell, and spot drops back down to 20.00, the eagles will follow, but the kooks and lunars will stay well above 20.00. I've seen it happen. I'm living proof. I'll stick with semi numi coins. Lol.

13. boffin1979

boffin1979 New Member

OP - all those coins you mention, except for Pandas, suffer from milk spots and imperfections. Mind you, the Royal Mint seem to have cleaned up their act which I hope continues. But when all said and done, you simply can't go wrong with Perth Mint. Of all the govt issued coinage, these are the cheapest in Australia, as flawless as you can get and will gain numismatic value over time. I'll only buy overseas coins if there is a special edition issue. Canadian Mint issue these all the time, but you still run the risk of the dreaded milk spots. As for purity, 0.001% more in the Canadian coins than the others......really? To me, it sounds like an excuse for their second-rate minting processes.

14. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I don't need perfect coins, but nowadays production (any reporting bout this for decades old 999 coins?) milk spot trouble can over a couple decades reduce a thousand coin designs to an ugly pot melt value, something that wasn't exactly what I had in mind when picking silver coins.

15. mmissinglink

I've read that some silver bullion Panda's have been seen with milk spots.

My guess is that all the major mints have adopted the same (more or less) minting practices and therefore, virtually all silver bullion coins are prone (to some degree) to developing milk spots.

If this is true, then it seems milk spots are here to stay indefinitely because investors, stackers, and collectors who want to buy silver bullion coins from any of the major mints will invariably end up buying coins that can develop the spots. And to avoid getting coins with spots, these buyers will have to cease buying bullion silver coins altogether it seems....something that will likely never happen.

Milk spots are here to stay, folks....getting used to seeing them on modern silver bullion may be the only way to cope with the inevitable.

16. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

What I like to know is if coins produced in the past (decade(s)) ago also developed these spots. Or did not in the past, and do now.
    Because if not, then a particular production or environmental change has happened since, in which case I'd like to know why it was changed.
    Alot minting companies products show this, which indicates a common element.

17. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

Pandas are subject to milk spots as well
    So I would not take them from the list of vulnerable coins